Why am I not receiving my messages until after restarting my phone?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello, I'm making this post because of a recurring issue I've had on my phone (OnePlus Nord N10). About a month ago I switched phones. Before I had no issues with my SMS messages.

The problem is that after a random amount of time (sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a day or two) I stop receiving SMS messages. Not just notifications of messages, messages literally do not show up in the app. I'm using the default google messaging app. The only way I can receive the messages is by restarting my phone. Then they come in all at once. Obviously this is a big inconvenience. What can I do to fix it? I'm on US Mobile. They use Verizon's phone lines.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Disabling carrier services

Switching to Signal as my SMS app when I know I'm not receiving messages to see if I receive messages there (I don't)

Removing updates from the messaging app

Factory resetting the phone

None of these solutions have worked.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

ma_66

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Hello, I'm the person who made this post. Both US Mobile and OnePlus say that Verizon lines should work fine on my phone, so I don't know why that would be an issue. Also, I generally receive messages fine, it's just that after a period of time I stop receiving them until I restart.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I'm the person who made this post. Both US Mobile and OnePlus say that Verizon lines should work fine on my phone, so I don't know why that would be an issue. Also, I generally receive messages fine, it's just that after a period of time I stop receiving them until I restart.
Hi, welcome to AC!
Generally most that used Verizon with one plus device ran into this sort of issues, Verizon is CDMA and those phones were more geared towards GSM .

This is one example from One plus forums

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/verizon-us-sms-mms-issues.1320010/

ma_66

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
I read the forum post you linked. From reading the comments on it, it seems like there were two things that got their messages to work. 1) Disabling Carrier Services and 2) Using Verizons messaging app. The next time I know that I am not receiving messages I will try those two solutions instead of restarting and see where that gets me.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I read the forum post you linked. From reading the comments on it, it seems like there were two things that got their messages to work. 1) Disabling Carrier Services and 2) Using Verizons messaging app. The next time I know that I am not receiving messages I will try those two solutions instead of restarting and see where that gets me.
Ok , definitely start from there and see what happens.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
It might also be worth while to call Big Red and asking them about this because if restarting the phone is the only way to get the missed messages that sounds like a them problem and not a you problem.

I've had several issues with Verizon and messaging on certain devices. They usually fix it on their end and have told me things like, your messaging service needed to be restarted or reinitialized, or we had to change something with the account, but they were all fixes they needed to do and nothing I could have solved on my own. I mean you're paying one of the highest carrier charges in the US make them work for that money.

Best wishes.

ma_66

Aug 21, 2021
Visit site
Thought I would give an update here. Downloaded the Verizon Messages app, however did not set it as default SMS - I kept using the google messaging app. I haven't had this problem again since. Maybe just downloading the app did the trick or maybe it was purely coincidental. Either way, thanks for the help.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thought I would give an update here. Downloaded the Verizon Messages app, however did not set it as default SMS - I kept using the google messaging app. I haven't had this problem again since. Maybe just downloading the app did the trick or maybe it was purely coincidental. Either way, thanks for the help.
So strange but if it works thats great

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress