Why am I receiving error messages when I send emails using Thunderbird?

A

AC Question

I have a Lenovo desk top computer w/current & updated Thunderbird email, Norton virus protection, Windows 10 operating system, and ATT/Yahoo/sbcglobal.net as my Internet provider (network 2 - hardwire). I've been receiving error messages "log in to server smtp.mail.att.net failed Retry or Enter New Password" for weeks when I send emails with and without attachments, and both sending and receiving messages is slower than usual. I upgraded my service from "Basic 3" speed to "Basic 6" speed on Dec. 7, 2016. The increased speed is not evident and I'm still getting the "password" error message when I send AND the "sending the message failed" error message (new).

Sbcglobal.net says the settings are correct, the connection and the speed test are acceptable for my service (7.68 download speed and 1.47 upload speeds). Entering my existing password, after the error message, works intermittently and changing my password made no difference.

Help! What's happening and what can I do to fix it. The screen shot of my account settings is attached.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Who is the actual email service provider?
If it is yahoo, you need to go to your yahoo settings in a web browser and turn on the security option that allows "less secure" email apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yusufdontk