Why Asus over Acer? opinions plz

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
The 16gb should be fine. If you need more space just pop in a micro SD card. That's is what's cool about the transformer. Plus the screen is beautiful. I love mine.

I agree - buy the 16 - set 30 bucks aside for an SD card - take 70 Bucks and buy a case or half of an out of stock keyboard dock lol. Played with the xoom - nice device but i like my tf more - that's why I bought it and not a xoom. Also I really do not see the better build quality - I may be off base here but the tf feels great in my hands.

In the end opinion is opinion but there is nothing that I have seen that gets me from 400 for the tf to even the 569 sale price on the xoom - heck for that price you could have the tf and the dock.

Of course, you are asking this question on a forum for tf owners so there may be a little bias

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Get the Xoom and avoid all the problems that the TF is having. Xoom is a Google Experience Device. Motorola worked very closely with Google to build it, and it will always be the first to get updates. Look at the Nexus One, another Google Experience Device. It's running Gingerbread while new phones are still being released with Froyo. Trust me, the Xoom is the one you want. Walmart is selling the Xoom for $569, and the build quality more than justifies the $70 price difference.

The Transformer starts at $400. It should also get 3.1 next week, and the SD card slot works.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So Im now leaning towards the Asus.

Is there any real need for 32gig or is the 16gig more then enough?

Im thinking if i keep the tablet clean 16 would be ok, not sure tho,
What have you guys bought or recommend?

again, thanks to all for you input

Hitch

I couldn't justify the 32GB when you can get uSD cards to slip in the side of it so easily.

-Suntan

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Here in Canada, I can easily pick up the acer but I am waiting for the trasnformer. It sold out again in stores in Toronto.

I am going for the Asus for its keyboard, flexibility and price.

Sent by this droid

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I got lucky and got a 32G TF for only $449...It was a return, they complained of a dead pixel, but I and the store techs are unable to locate it. Thinking it was a buyers remorse... So far I'm loving it. Just need my keyboard dock..

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Asus has better flexibilty with keyboard dock, better screen ,looks gorgeous in comparison to Acer (I recently had iconia and returned it for Asus) or any other tablet, my cloud(Asus dlna service) actually works where as the iconias clear.fi app doesn't (I heard it only works with Acer computers but I couldmt get mine to work at all), unlimited my cloud storage for a year, cheaper, lighter, faster(IMO), thinner, and its backing, although plastic, feels better in hand than iconia because its not as slippery. The only thing the Acer had over the Asus is flash, touch screen responsiveness and full USB out the box, but IMO the features of the Asus outweigh the cons. Good Luck with your decision!
Edit: the xoom is nice but it feels heavier to me and not as good in hands also, it lacks that same speed of 'pure Google's devices like nexus phones. IMO its the laggiest of all the released tablets which shouldn't be the case for a device made by a motorola and google partnership. Yes updates will come faster, but by the time their tablet opens them, us tf users will have ours as well :) plus I don't think the SD card works on xoom yet and ALL other released tablets have this problem fixed.... that's unacceptable for a pure google device

Last edited:

rruready

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Asus has better flexibilty with keyboard dock, better screen ,looks gorgeous in comparison to Acer (I recently had iconia and returned it for Asus) or any other tablet, my cloud(Asus dlna service) actually works where as the iconias clear.fi app doesn't (I heard it only works with Acer computers but I couldmt get mine to work at all), unlimited my cloud storage for a year, cheaper, lighter, faster(IMO), thinner, and its backing, although plastic, feels better in hand than iconia because its not as slippery. The only thing the Acer had over the Asus is flash, touch screen responsiveness and full USB out the box, but IMO the features of the Asus outweigh the cons. Good Luck with your decision!
Edit: the xoom is nice but it feels heavier to me and not as good in hands also, it lacks that same speed of 'pure Google's devices like nexus phones. IMO its the laggiest of all the released tablets which shouldn't be the case for a device made by a motorola and google partnership. Yes updates will come faster, but by the time their tablet opens them, us tf users will have ours as well :) plus I don't think the SD card works on xoom yet and ALL other released tablets have this problem fixed.... that's unacceptable for a pure google device
+1 on all of this. I received my TF this past Wednesday and today I picked up an Iconia with intentions of bringing one back. The Iconia did not make the cut. It seemed less snappy, got warmer to the touch doing the exact same things side by side, and froze up during HD YouTube videos quite often. The screen seems brighter on the Iconia but the colors are richer and more vibrant (as someone pointed out earlier) on the TF. As if this wasn't enough, the TF just feels better when holding it IMO. I will say this though...the Iconia definitely has better audio on it. As for the Xoom, I have yet to play with one that does not lag horribly. I can't help but laugh after I see the price tag while being so unimpressed. My advice....either get the TF or wait for the next gen tablets coming out soon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree - buy the 16 - set 30 bucks aside for an SD card - take 70 Bucks and buy a case or half of an out of stock keyboard dock lol. Played with the xoom - nice device but i like my tf more - that's why I bought it and not a xoom. Also I really do not see the better build quality - I may be off base here but the tf feels great in my hands.

In the end opinion is opinion but there is nothing that I have seen that gets me from 400 for the tf to even the 569 sale price on the xoom - heck for that price you could have the tf and the dock.

Of course, you are asking this question on a forum for tf owners so there may be a little bias

Lets get real now. No offense but it's obvious you don't see the differences in quality or you would have chosen the Xoom. The TF's IPS display is plagued by ridiculous light bleed, at least most of them.

Last edited:

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Lets get real now. No offense but it's obvious you don't see the differences in quality or you would have chosen the Xoom. The TF's IPS display is plagued by ridiculous light bleed, at least most of them.

Now, lets be fair, build quality is an OPINION, and as such his is just as valid as yours. I held the Xoom side by side with my TF (which has no ligthbeed, at all) and felt the Asus is built very well. I think the textured plastic back was a great choice considering how slippery my Nexus one's smooth back is. Dropped it a lot till I got a case mate cover for it.

If you like the Xoom better, great! Its a nice tablet for sure, and its one advantage of vanilla Android is very nice, as a Nexus One owner, I know haw cool that advantage is. HOWEVER I still like the Asus better on every other point. The larger border for holding, the doc, the price, the WORKING mSD card, and so on.

Its all about trade offs in the tech world.

:D

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Now, lets be fair, build quality is an OPINION, and as such his is just as valid as yours. I held the Xoom side by side with my TF (which has no ligthbeed, at all) and felt the Asus is built very well. I think the textured plastic back was a great choice considering how slippery my Nexus one's smooth back is. Dropped it a lot till I got a case mate cover for it.

If you like the Xoom better, great! Its a nice tablet for sure, and its one advantage of vanilla Android is very nice, as a Nexus One owner, I know haw cool that advantage is. HOWEVER I still like the Asus better on every other point. The larger border for holding, the doc, the price, the WORKING mSD card, and so on.

I did not realize any tablet was skinned, I thought there all were vanilla except Htc tab uses sense of course. What type of skin does Asus apply? I know in phones Motorola =motoblur, Htc=sense etc

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

Here's an extreme example when comparing quality. Timex or Rolex. Is this valid? I know people have diffrent opinion but you can't denie the difference in quality. Also I said most TF have bad light bleed.

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Far as I can tell the touch on the TF is very light, limited to some custom widgets, a custom keyboard, and some other light touches. But I have not played with the Xoom enough to know exactly all the fine differences. Most reviewers that I have read think that over the TF changes are good.

VydorScope

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Here's an extreme example when comparing quality. Timex or Rolex. Is this valid? I know people have diffrent opinion but you can't denie the difference in quality. Also I said most TF have bad light bleed.

Mine does not. Unless you have more information that I think you do, that "most" is a guess based on a forum postings which is invalid. It is well known that if you have a great device and are happy with it you are ten times less likely to mention it then if you have a problem with your device. I would expect an internet forum where people come for HELP with their device to show FAR FAR more complaints then are really proportionality valid when compared to statistical sampling. So do you have any hard numbers to back up your "most" or did you just get a bad TF and are soured to the TF as a result? I have not seen any such hard numbers.

And the build quality of the Xoom that I see everyday on the desk next to mine at work is roughly the same as my TF.

His opinion is just as valid as yours. I like my TF better then any other tablet I have used or seen, including the Xoom. The person at my work with the Xoom agreed with my opinion on the build quality between the two. He seemed to see the tablets as equal.

Again, you like your Xoom, so great! I am glad you found the device that make you happy. I like my TF better, but because its a personal opinion I expect some to disagree with me (esply that iPad2 guy at my work LOL)

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Far as I can tell the touch on the TF is very light, limited to some custom widgets, a custom keyboard, and some other light touches. But I have not played with the Xoom enough to know exactly all the fine differences. Most reviewers that I have read think that over the TF changes are good.

Hey everybody has their Preference, I was just pointing out the quality in material used for each tablet. As far as form factor and exclusives, that's what matters.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody has their Preference, I was just pointing out the quality in material used for each tablet. As far as form factor and exclusives, that's what matters.

My tablet is better than yours NA NA NA NA boo boo. Lol

Man, love the conversations on these forums but the OP says Asus over acer - so lets get back on point.

I had about two paragrahs using your own metaphor about rolexes and then I deleted it and thought that the first sentence above was better. In the end it is a value proposition - and for me and apparently everyone else who is returning the iconia it is too. This thing is just the right combination of price and quality. Can we stop this argument and move on. In the end we will all be doing the same things, let's work on those.

-now go ahead and have the last word.

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
My tablet is better than yours NA NA NA NA boo boo. Lol

Man, love the conversations on these forums but the OP says Asus over acer - so lets get back on point.

I had about two paragrahs using your own metaphor about rolexes and then I deleted it and thought that the first sentence above was better. In the end it is a value proposition - and for me and apparently everyone else who is returning the iconia it is too. This thing is just the right combination of price and quality. Can we stop this argument and move on. In the end we will all be doing the same things, let's work on those.

-now go ahead and have the last word.

I tried very hard not to reply but I had to have the last word. ;)

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Seriously i dont have either tablets, but i have tested the Xoom in store before. And let me tell you, that is one of the most well built devices i have ever put my hands on. And i am very anal on build qualities.

So i have a really hard time believing transformer with its questionable build quality even coming close to the xoom in that aspect.