Why Asus over Acer? opinions plz

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Lets get real now. No offense but it's obvious you don't see the differences in quality or you would have chosen the Xoom. The TF's IPS display is plagued by ridiculous light bleed, at least most of them.

I wouldn't call a single spot that you can't see unless you're looking for it to be "ridiculous light bleed"

And again, why are you so insanely defensive about the product you chose? The Xoom is a great device, but why do ANYONE feel the need to go out of their way to attack other devices, simply because they didn't choose them?

If this person gets an Asus, is your Xoom less valuable?

I thought not. They're both android, and getting either will increase the adoption rate of Android tablets and thus make developing android tablet apps more attractive.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate all the opinions,
It funny there is so much talk about the screen, In the reviews I have read they all say the screen is superb, better then the acer.
At one point I did consider a Xoom when they first came out, But I decided against it due to cost.
All my pc builds are with Asus as well as my laptop. I have had good luck with them.
I never owned a Acer, but I do know they are one of the top rated laptop manufacturers.
At this point I am leaning towards the Asus mostly because of the price point, since all of them have basically the same spec's it boils down to user experience, input from owners and price

No matter what one I choose, with my luck a week later something much better will be released for about the same price.

Thanks again to all
Hitch

sonofdroid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate all the opinions,
It funny there is so much talk about the screen, In the reviews I have read they all say the screen is superb, better then the acer.
At one point I did consider a Xoom when they first came out, But I decided against it due to cost.
All my pc builds are with Asus as well as my laptop. I have had good luck with them.
I never owned a Acer, but I do know they are one of the top rated laptop manufacturers.
At this point I am leaning towards the Asus mostly because of the price point, since all of them have basically the same spec's it boils down to user experience, input from owners and price

No matter what one I choose, with my luck a week later something much better will be released for about the same price.

Thanks again to all
Hitch

No argument about Asus laptops, I had he Asus g73 laptop and sold it. Going to pick up the Asus G73 sandy bridge model when it's more stable. Wicked machine.

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Iconia to tie me over until I could get the TF. Had the Iconia about a week when my TF arrived.

I decided to keep the iconia (sold the TF to a friend).

The idea of the TF with the keyboard dock really sold me on it. But in the time I used both tablets, I realized that for me, I really had no need for the dock. Only time I really wanted a keyboard was when I was typing up something on the fly for my daughter. So just plugged in a USB keyboard and I was good to go. Since that is the only time I have really felt the need for a keyboard in the 3 weeks I have been using them. I decided that I just don't need it.

In Contrast. I use the hell out of the usb port. From my portable HDD, to usb sticks, to a keyboard when I needed it. Just really convient to have it on the tablet.

For Build quality the Acer won. I love ASUS products, and have built many a gaming rig with their parts. But the Acer just felt more solid. The TF did feel better in the hand though (other than the metal band that sticks in your finger). The metal Acer is slick, but I put it in a cover anyway, so its all good.

So for me, (since I wasn't going to use the dock), the Iconia with USB host on the tablet was a no brainer. I use that port a ton, and it is one thing I couldn't give up. And since 3.1 adds a lot of USB function, I imagine the port on the iconia will become even more valuable. Oh, and I really like screen orientation lock.

Screen wise, the TF is better. But I only really noticed it when I had them side by side. But i can't deny that the colors on the TF are richer.

As for Dev community. Right now it appears that the Asus has more support. But since the Acer is on pace to be the fist honeycomb tablet to reach 1 million sales. I think it will have good dev support also, just due to the wide customer base.

Acer support is still a bit of an unknown (like asus). But Acer has put out an update already that has addressed some issues. And 3.1 supposed to be out (according to Acer) first or 2nd week of june.

So after all that... This is what I based my decision on.

If your going to use the dock get the transformer.
If your not going to use a dock get the Iconia.

Hitch_Itch

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Lorak;951627 So for me said:
You make a great point about the usb. The more I think about it the more handy a full size usb would be.

a nicer screen on the TF, not an easy decision
thanks for making those points

Hitch

Lorak

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yep,
Only thing that keeps me from 100% suggesting the Iconia is the locked bootloader. While I do believe this will be fixed in the future. It is one major advantage the TF does have right now.

While honeycomb is so new that ROM's and such (for me) aren't really needed add anything yet. In the future it could be a big deal if the Acer isn't cracked, or they resend the locked bootloader so we can get recovery. Other stuff the TF had like polaris office and such I already moved to the Iconia (works well too).

In the end if the Bootloader isnt cracked or unlocked on the Iconia, I will just end up giving it to my daughter and getting a tegra 3 or next big thing in a year or so anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumbbunny