why can't Chromecast use Wifi-Direct and stream local media store on the phone?(without wifi router)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
why can't Chromecast use Wifi-Direct and stream local media store on the phone?(without wifi router)

You might be able to hack it to make that happen, but it's getting all of it's information from the cloud. It's more closely related to a web browser than to a mirror device and, if it is implemented in any way the way that Google TV/YouTube was, then your device isn't actually talking to it directly at all. Your device would be talking to their servers and their servers are talking to the device. If that is correct here, then your device would have to upload your content to their servers and stream back down to your Chromecast device, causing way more traffic then is actually taking place, thus lag, extra expense and a overall poorer experience.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You might be able to hack it to make that happen, but it's getting all of it's information from the cloud. It's more closely related to a web browser than to a mirror device and, if it is implemented in any way the way that Google TV/YouTube was, then your device isn't actually talking to it directly at all. Your device would be talking to their servers and their servers are talking to the device. If that is correct here, then your device would have to upload your content to their servers and stream back down to your Chromecast device, causing way more traffic then is actually taking place, thus lag, extra expense and a overall poorer experience.

So when you chromecast your pc desktop it's making a round-trip through Google's servers?

Posted via Android Central App

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So when you chromecast your pc desktop it's making a round-trip through Google's servers?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's just a sync via the cloud, not a direct connection from device to device.
I was curious about this, so I checked my router's WAN traffic while casting my laptop's desktop with local content and there is none, as it should be. The display of your desktop is not making a round-trip through Google's servers.

dan smartt

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
It can, it's just not programmed to. Developers have already done this, but due to legal constraints from content providers & Google's wanting you to use their services to promote their advertising, it is unfortunately not included at this time

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Because as others said it isn't streaming anything from the phone.. It streams the content itself and plays it. Your phone is just a remote basically.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's just a sync via the cloud, not a direct connection from device to device.
I was curious about this, so I checked my router's WAN traffic while casting my laptop's desktop with local content and there is none, as it should be. The display of your desktop is not making a round-trip through Google's servers.

Nope!! when you stream local content its not making a round trip to Google server.
Its using a protocol called WebRT which stream a video of your screen to chromecast. that's why mirroring low powered PC is choppy sometimes.

Koush, a well known developer is making an app called MyCast which will let you stream your Gallery/Google Drive/dropbox content to chromecast.

since chromecast api is still in beta no developers are allowed(even if they did it wont work) to publish the feature to playstore.
but the wait wont be long.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Does that method send the info through the router or directly from device to chromecast? I hope they can get it to work directly from the device to the chrome cast so it can work at hotels....

Posted by a Nexus

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad