Why cant I send 2 pics at a time using the Android messaging app?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a bunch of devices on Android 8.1 and using the Verizon network and when trying to send two pictures totaling 1228K I get " Message size limit reached" Is this a limitation in the app or on the Verizon network? Not sure where to start

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a limitation of the SMS protocol. That protocol was designed back in the days of pagers and hasn't evolved since. Google is making a push for RCS to replace SMS but the devices need to support it, and it needs to be supported on BOTH ENDS as well as by the carriers. RCS will allow for larger files (pictures) in messages but may still not allow for more than one.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think it's a limitation of both the SMS/MMS protocol and the carrier -- the maximum filesize that can be sent in a single message is around 1 MB, but I think it varies a little depending on the carrier.

You would need to send each photo as an individual message, or upload them to Google Photos and share multiple photos from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke