Why deleted messages are restored in messenger when connected to a wi-fi connection?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Although I delete some messages (while not using a wi-fi connection) they are restored as soon as I connect it with a wi-fi connection. Is there a way to stop this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about Facebook Messenger, or some other messenger system, contact the people running it. Some of them only delete messages on your phone and not on the server, so when you connect again it's a different connection and you get all the messages on the server. If there's a way to change that (delete from the server when you delete), that would be up to them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What about my other question -- when you're not on wi-fi, are you connected to mobile data? If not, then any changes you make (like deleting a message) won't be registered on the FB Messenger server. When you connect again, it likely syncs back that message. You probably need to delete messages only when you have a web connection, if you want the deletions to stick.

Aladin_SL

Oct 5, 2019
Visit site
Thanks again. I am using mobile data while deleting messages. So as you suggest that deletion may not be registered on the server. But is there any way to delete it permanently using mobile data?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't use FB Messenger, so I'm not entirely familiar with its settings -- check its menu and see if there's an option to sync only on wi-fi. If so, turn that off.