Why do my headphones make a horrible noise?

eden928

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm having trouble with using headphones on my Samsung Galaxy s10. Sometimes without sound even playing, there will be a beeping/screeching (almost feedback-like) noise emitted all of a sudden. If I unplug the headphones, the noise stops. If I plug them back in straight away it will start back up.
Sometimes if I wait a little while and plug them back in, they will work again with no noise.

I bought the phone new a couple of years ago. It's possible that it incurred damage being dropped but I have had it checked and the audio jack has been replaced today (of course, they couldn't get the noise to occur when looking at it), but tonight the screeching/beeping noise is back :(

I'm running Android version 11 and system is up to date. I haven't modified the device software or customised it.

I've tried troubleshooting, tried cleaning the audio jack before having it replaced, tried different headphones, restarted, etc. Tonight I have restarted in safe mode to see if it's caused by an installed app and so far I haven't heard the noise, so it's possible it's an app, but how do I determine which app might be causing it?? I haven't noticed it starting straight after a new app being installed.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated - I use my headphones all the time to keep me focused in a loud work environment, so I'm at my wit's end as I get anxious now plugging headphones in. The noise is that loud and sudden when it happens :(

Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

The downside is if it's an app, it will be hard to pinpoint. Do you have another phone to test a similar setup where you can remove apps without disturbing your daily driver? That suggestion may not even help, though, now that I think of it.

eden928

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
Yes, tricky to pinpoint definitely. I've tried uninstalling recently installed apps but haven't found the culprit so far.
I don't have a second phone, and was trying to avoid a factory reset to see if that fixes it, but it may be my next step?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Test it in safe mode , that way u can rule out any 3rd party apps right away .

Samsung members app if you go into it has a diagnostic device hardware check try that also it's under get helpScreenshot_20211121-185513_Samsung%20Members.jpg

eden928

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for that. S10 didn't appear in the drop down list when I first posted.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tested and all seems to be working normally. I did restart in safe mode and the issue hasn't occurred then, but then it's intermittent so it may or may not be a coincidence.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. S10 didn't appear in the drop down list when I first posted.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've tested and all seems to be working normally. I did restart in safe mode and the issue hasn't occurred then, but then it's intermittent so it may or may not be a coincidence.
Welcome.

Maybe if you test it longer in safe mode , but also check Samsung members app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, tricky to pinpoint definitely. I've tried uninstalling recently installed apps but haven't found the culprit so far.
I don't have a second phone, and was trying to avoid a factory reset to see if that fixes it, but it may be my next step?

Let's assume (poorly at that) that the problem may exist in the kernel/OS. A reset will help. But if the drop damaged the board but not the original audio jack...a reset won't make a difference. The downside is, we won't know until it's attempted. While you are deciding, you can prep your device for a reset.

If you go with the reset route, slowly re add your apps (anywhere between 1-5 at a time, wait minimum a day, or however long you would encounter the audio problem, then add another batch), starting with the most used/needed. If it's an app problem, it may also be a recently updated app, not necessarily a recently installed one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You said you tested other headphones -- what happened? Does the screeching happen with those other headphones, or just with the first pair?

Wondermazing

Nov 24, 2021
Visit site
My partner and I have been experiencing this issue as well for the past week.
My partner has a Samsung S10 and I have a A8.
When we plug our head phones in we get about 15 seconds of what sounds like loud feedback.
Then occasionally we'll get the feedback sound again during whatever we're listening to.
Glad it's not just us!
Maybe it's something at the Samsung end. After all how many people plug in head phones these days?
My partner doesn't get the feed back sound when they use bluetooth or wireless ear buds.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My partner and I have been experiencing this issue as well for the past week.
My partner has a Samsung S10 and I have a A8.
When we plug our head phones in we get about 15 seconds of what sounds like loud feedback.
Then occasionally we'll get the feedback sound again during whatever we're listening to.
Glad it's not just us!
Maybe it's something at the Samsung end. After all how many people plug in head phones these days?
My partner doesn't get the feed back sound when they use bluetooth or wireless ear buds.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Have you checked in Samsung members app, it has a diagnostic section?Screenshot_20211124-212317_Samsung%20Members.jpg

Phil Patterson

Nov 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm having trouble with using headphones on my Samsung Galaxy s10. Sometimes without sound even playing, there will be a beeping/screeching (almost feedback-like) noise emitted all of a sudden. If I unplug the headphones, the noise stops. If I plug them back in straight away it will start back up.
Sometimes if I wait a little while and plug them back in, they will work again with no noise.

I bought the phone new a couple of years ago. It's possible that it incurred damage being dropped but I have had it checked and the audio jack has been replaced today (of course, they couldn't get the noise to occur when looking at it), but tonight the screeching/beeping noise is back :(

I'm running Android version 11 and system is up to date. I haven't modified the device software or customised it.

I've tried troubleshooting, tried cleaning the audio jack before having it replaced, tried different headphones, restarted, etc. Tonight I have restarted in safe mode to see if it's caused by an installed app and so far I haven't heard the noise, so it's possible it's an app, but how do I determine which app might be causing it?? I haven't noticed it starting straight after a new app being installed.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated - I use my headphones all the time to keep me focused in a loud work environment, so I'm at my wit's end as I get anxious now plugging headphones in. The noise is that loud and sudden when it happens :(

Thanks!

I and four other Samsung users I know are having the exact same issue. One is using a S9, two are using a S20, and two a S20 Ultra. I've asked on several forums and no one seems to have an answer.

garaden

Jan 15, 2022
Visit site
I stared at the logs for a while and the issue seemed related to com.squareup. That is, the Square POS app. Makes sense since Square uses a headphone jack for reading cards on Android.

I tried removing it and haven't seen the headphones problem again yet. I left the headphones plugged in for about 15 mins, and plugged and unplugged the adapter repeatedly, which is usually enough to trigger the issue. If it goes away for good I'll follow up here and with Square.

Edit 2022-02-05: No problems since removing Square. Will follow up with them.

Last edited: