Why does my LG Volt constantly freeze? Apps keep crashing/stopping?

Taylor Zbiegien

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Okay so for the past week or two, my phone has been acting crazy like never before. It's CONSTANTLY freezing to the point where I have to restart it (sometimes up to 10 times a day). My apps have also been acting up by crashing/stopping and I get the notification that says "so and so app has stopped working" then it asks if I want to close it and I say ok, it gives me the screen that says its not responding and then the options "report" or "close" and when I hit report, the phone freezes instantly and my screen goes black. I have hit ok instead of report and sometimes it will take me out of the app but most of the time it freezes regardless. The home keys respond to my touch (they light up) but the screen does not and stays black with just the status bar showing and it stays frozen. Sometimes it does this with my screen lock as well, but the opposite: the screen will light up when I hit the side or home buttons but it does not respond to my touch. It seems like no matter what app I'm using, even if I'm on the internet or texting, it does this and I cannot figure it out. I have ran multiple different antivirus apps and they all came back clear with no virus. I read to clear the app cache which I just did (we'll see if it helps). The phone is a LG Volt prepaid from Virgin Mobile and I have had it for one year without any problems until now. (P.S. I've had Virgin Mobile phones for years and never had problems with them. My last one lasted 2 and a half years). However, I did notice it started acting up after an Android System Update. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but it was fine until then. Could it be the SD card? Is it my phone in general (aka is it time for a new one)? Something to do with the system update? I'd hate to resort to factory reset in fear of losing my stuff and the possibility that it will not help. Please help, I cannot take this much longer.

Update: I've been doing more research and found an article about the recent update WebView causing problems like mine.
Is it possible this is the problem? I cannot find the setting on my phone (application manager), however, to check.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If your Android System Webview was updated, go to Settings>Apps>All, tap Android System Webview, and tap Uninstall Updates.

Corrupt SD cards can cause various issues, so you can see what happens if you Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage) and then remove it.

If it isn't the SD, then try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

Thylonicus

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I realize this is an old post, but this is the only thing I've found on my web search that actually addressed the issue. I had a very, very similar problem as the original poster, and unmounting the SD card seemed to do the trick. I haven't found any useful information on what to do now that I've narrowed it down to the card. So--now what? Is it just an app or something on the card? Is the card trash? Can it be salvaged?

rjkwerty

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Having the same exact issues with exactly the same phone and carrier. No problems until now. Ended up resetting to factory settings have the same issues.

I'm also having the same issues after about 10 factory resets, reinstalled the firmware (flashing i think it's called?) about 10 times as well. It's working a little better now but still freezes and crashes every few minutes or so. However, I think I accidentally rooted the phone while installing the firmware most recently, and now it has the carrier boot (before it only had the stock lg boot up). This is the only thread that actually has the same problems for me as well. I'm still having the problems.

Asimovengine

May 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm also having the same issues after about 10 factory resets, reinstalled the firmware (flashing i think it's called?) about 10 times as well. It's working a little better now but still freezes and crashes every few minutes or so. However, I think I accidentally rooted the phone while installing the firmware most recently, and now it has the carrier boot (before it only had the stock lg boot up). This is the only thread that actually has the same problems for me as well. I'm still having the problems.

Also now having the same issue. Something that Virgin Mobile is pushing to the phones. Sounds like the beginning of a class action lawsuit.

karen1165

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Yep, for the last month, on and off, my LG Volt phone keeps stopping, black screen, takes me to Task Manager and so I close all apps. keeps happening all the time. Can barely use my phone for anything. I've had it about a year, Do I just have to forget about it and get a new phone?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yep, for the last month, on and off, my LG Volt phone keeps stopping, black screen, takes me to Task Manager and so I close all apps. keeps happening all the time. Can barely use my phone for anything. I've had it about a year, Do I just have to forget about it and get a new phone?

Welcome. :)

You could try a Backup & Reset first.
Let us know if you need advice about that, especially backing up.

erogier

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the exact same problem with my LG Volt. This morning it froze for the last time. Now it goes to the logo screen and that's it. Have to remove the battery to turn it off. I did a factory reset in the hope that that would fix it but no. Called Virgin Mobile and they just tried to sell me a new phone and they wont take this on trade in cause it's not working. Should have still been under warranty since this was a brand new replacement phone in February.I guess I will try rooting and flas a new rom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali