Why does my s21 ultra screen keep rotating randomly with auto rotate off?

Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Over the last couple of days my phone screen keeps trying to rotate, more so when I'm using the phone on landscape but also when it's upright and writing a post like this.
Its almost like a flicker but it causes anything like YouTube to exit full screen mode.
I'm pretty sure it is draining my battery quicker too.
I have checked and it does it with auto rotate both enabled and disabled

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Does it matter what app you're using? So this happens when using YouTube but never when using Spotify, anything like that?

Many apps won't work while the device is in Safe Mode but if you put the phone in SM and can open an app that you've noticed this happening with, does it still happen in SM?

I have an S21 U and have noticed that especially YouTube is sensitive to angular changes. For me rotating the device doesn't always produce the correct result the first time. So if I'm portrait scrolling and pick a vid, then rotate often it will stay in portrait until I've turned the phone and then turned it back. It's almost like it doesn't know what orientation it is in. I'm not saying this is right but it seems to be my normal. I'm trying to think of a time, other than while in an app that presents landscape, when it gets stuck in landscape... Maybe when I'm using Maps. Again for me, turning the device to the opposite of what I want and back again always brings it back to working.

Just to be clear about your case however, what it sounds like you're saying is, phone in use in landscape or portrait and for no reason and without tipping or tilting the phone it will just jump to the other orientation, is this an accurate description?

You say it boots you out of full screen mode, like when using YT, but don't mention if it stays this way or it's just enough to kick you out but returns to landscape? What do you have to do to return to full screen/landscape mode? Tilt it again, open the app again, something else, what does it take?

Being a member we could move this to the S21 threads where other S21 users will see it and perhaps recognize the issue. Here in the general Ask A Question area many may see it but only a few may have the device. Let's see what @B. Diddy or @mustang7757 think about moving this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi welcome to AC!

Pull your notification panel down make sure the toggle Portrait is off , some dont realize thats auto rotate, if good long press it and takes you to another sub menu see if those are off .

YoungStarDC

Oct 7, 2021
Visit site
I'm experiencing this as well. It happens since the latest update a few days ago, so I am pretty sure it's a bug. I'm holding off on a factory reset for now.

If you download the Samsung Members app, you can actually send Samsung feedback along with system logs, which I recommend you do so that they become aware of this issue.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm experiencing this as well. It happens since the latest update a few days ago, so I am pretty sure it's a bug. I'm holding off on a factory reset for now.

If you download the Samsung Members app, you can actually send Samsung feedback along with system logs, which I recommend you do so that they become aware of this issue.
Hi, welcome to AC!

Are any of you on Android beta 12 by any chance?

YoungStarDC

Oct 7, 2021
Visit site
Yup, tried that as well. I'm pretty sure it's a bug since it started occurring after the last update. I experience the same with the Ziggo app for example (used to watch live TV). However, unlike YouTube, that returns to full screen while YouTube doesn't.

Oct 6, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all!

It's more of an annoyance than anything, started happening just before the last update and seems to be any app in landscape or not.

Fingers crossed its a bug and will get fixed but I'll report is as suggested.

Karl May

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus since the 2nd last update and even after today's update it is not fixed. It is a 180° rotation and is a very annoying bug that pops up randomly every 5-10 minutes and causes many apps to pause or glitch out. For example when watching netflix, something trying to cause in the background to rotate it seems and disturbs the app in such a way it even kicks you out of the full screen. When trying to do whatsapp or line voice message recording for few minutes and when the bug happens it kicks you out of the voice message recording part and the voice message gets lost and costing valuable time. Samsung android 10 updates are so annoying to say the least.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine goes a little off center but eventually fixes itself. Started with the Android 12 update. Also my messages bubbles can't be dragged to dissappear.

ifryt137

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
The same issue. I did everything mentioned above and few more with cache clenning etc. I also did factory reset and it did not help. This is clearly the issue with some preinstalled soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21