Why does my S7 change words when exclamation point/question mark is used?

DonnaLynn

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I hate to switch off of the samsung keyboard, i love that it has the number line at the top.

I, too, love the Samsung keyboard (even though it sounds like we might be the only ones that do) and my Note 5 has been changing the last word of my sentences when I text since it did the last update. Drives me crazy. I hate to lose the number line being there but despise this correcting crap worse. :-(

Last edited:

joe1blue

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey has the option for the number line if you want. It includes the prediction feature above the number line as well.

Yeah, heavy, and a bottle of bread.
Also the Google keyboard has that option when you select something that requires numbers that you all will come up on its own.

JasonTheK1d

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
My Brand new S7 edge changes correct words to other words when I add a question mark or exclamation point followed by a space. The words I am using are not incorrect, and are not misspelled as I will delete and retype the same word and it will do it over and over again. The only way to avoid it is to put a space inbetween the word and the punctuation.

Here are a few examples...
It'll change "sure" to "it", "today" to "with", "off" to "the", "face" to "own", "much" to "good", "home" to "bad", "artist" to "same"

these are just a few examples, it does it to many many more words. it also likes to change words to "I" and it may not always change the words to the same alternate word. It is random.

It is definitely tied into the predictive text, and the only way to stop it is to disable it. I lose autocorrect function then though. We have another S7 edge on our plan, and with settings matched identically, the other S7 edge does not do it. I have spoken to Samsung customer support and they have no clue why it is doing this. The Tmobile store doesn't seem to care. Any reset option for the keyboard or learned words, etc does not change the outcome.

Anyone else have this issue? I cannot find the same issue mentioned anywhere online.

What is happening is it is considering the punctuation as part of the word and auto correcting it. Example, you text "on my way!" And it's fine. Later you text, "stuck in traffic!" And when you hit space bar it changes to "stuck in way!" Because it remembers way as part of the exclamation point. Stupid stupid stupid.

You have to hit the checkmark in the predictive text bar before hitting the spacebar to keep what you texted but that's inconvenient and should not have to be done. I'm trying a different keyboard to see if that helps

yohannrjm

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Yep, this was annoying. I immediately switched to the BlackBerry keyboard, and have not looked back since. I can't believe they didn't catch this bug.

Pink131980

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Arg! I have the same issue and when I try to tell it to delete the autocorrect option of I! it won't let me do it.
I guess I might switch to google keyboard and just get used to it. :(

Jerendeb

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Why do 95% of these forum have no solutions and turn into thread upon thread of just complaints.
I have never gotten a solution from an issue here ever!
What a waist of bytes

BWaldorf

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Yep, having the same exact issue on my S6 Edge Plus. Just restored my entire phone back to factory settings. Still same issue. Guess I'll have to switch to another keyboard... Samsung better fix this soon though!

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
The solution is to switch to either Swiftkey (I know Samsung claims to use a variant of Swiftlet, but it's not the same), or Google Keyboard, which as of late is phenomenal thanks to many improvements (example, swipe left or right on space bar to move cursor back). If there was an easy fix to the actual Samsung Keyboard, I think someone would have figured it out by now.

Posted via the Android Central App

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine, s5 neo, does a very similar thing but in a gangster style.

I use kk emoji keyboard though so not sure keyboard choice matters

What mine will do, is say just now on Facebook, I wrote out the word "decline" and then pressed the question mark that appears at the top when you've posted space. Pressing that, one time, changes it to "declin??". Don't understand it at all.

Also at times, swyping a word will just decide on its own to erase the word before it. I wonder how often I've looked retarded without realizing.

This error happens on both of my devices, in browsers. This one has chrome while my other I use cm browser.

I've never had it happen on my other in handcent SMS. So it seems limited to browsers which makes it more weird

smebble10

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
My Brand new S7 edge changes correct words to other words when I add a question mark or exclamation point followed by a space. The words I am using are not incorrect, and are not misspelled as I will delete and retype the same word and it will do it over and over again. The only way to avoid it is to put a space inbetween the word and the punctuation.

It'll change "sure" to "it", "today" to "with", "off" to "the", "face" to "own", "much" to "good", "home" to "bad", "artist" to "same"

these are just a few examples, it does it to many many more words. it also likes to change words to "I" and it may not always change the words to the same alternate word. It is random.

It is definitely tied into the predictive text, and the only way to stop it is to disable it. I lose autocorrect function then though. We have another S7 edge on our plan, and with settings matched identically, the other S7 edge does not do it. I have spoken to Samsung customer support and they have no clue why it is doing this. The Tmobile store doesn't seem to care. Any reset option for the keyboard or learned words, etc does not change the outcome.

Anyone else have this issue? I cannot find the same issue mentioned anywhere online.

smebble10

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy Tab S2 does the same type of thing except it capitalises the word before the punctuation mark rather than changing it! I'm off to try the Google keyboard!

Buddyboy546

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy Tab S2 does the same type of thing except it capitalises the word before the punctuation mark rather than changing it! I'm off to try the Google keyboard!
Exact same here with my Galaxy S2 Tab. This is clearly a major flaw in the Android system. It is incomprehensible that the makers of the system have not acknowledged and solved this.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Exact same here with my Galaxy S2 Tab. This is clearly a major flaw in the Android system. It is incomprehensible that the makers of the system have not acknowledged and solved this.

This has nothing to do with the "Android System". The keyboard is an app in Android. Samsung has chosen to put a crappy keyboard in some of their devices. Changing it to a good one is a simple matter of downloading a good one from the app store, installing it, and changing the default. It takes all of 3 minutes.

Google's stock keyboard, which is what the "Android System" ships with by default is an awesome keyboard, as is SwiftKey. Both are free.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site

Oh my God I want to smash this ******* phone against the ******* wall every few weeks all of a sudden whatever I'm writing it changes turned it into something else and even when I have autocorrect turned off it ******* does it I want to smash this ******* $900 phone into a million pieces nobody knows nothing about it sign frustrated as a mother ****er

mattbooty

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
As much as i liked the samsung keyboard, i finally broke down and switched to swiftkey. its taking some getting used to (change is never easy!) but it solves this problem.

Icewolf1989

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Why do 95% of these forum have no solutions and turn into thread upon thread of just complaints.
I have never gotten a solution from an issue here ever!
What a waist of bytes

I had the problem with both words and while entering numbers. The issue seems to be entertwined with the predictive text.

Try dissabling that and see if it fixes your problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky