Why does my voicemail app create a false alarm?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a moto g pure and everyday it shows a notification for an alarm at the top and on the lock screen. The alarm doesn't actually happen and there's no alarm set but the only way I can get it to go away is by deleting the storage of my voicemail app. However, I can't disable my voicemail app and a few hours later my voicemail updates or pushes a notification and the "alarm" comes back

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I recall having an actual, separate Voicemail app way back when I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 (2012) but haven't encountered that same kind of set up since then. Most voicemail services are now completely managed and maintained by a carrier, and it's just a matter of using the Phone app to dial in to access it. I wasn't aware Motorola did start to include a separate Voicemail app.
https://help.motorola.com/hc/3214/11/pdf/help-moto-g-pure-11-na-en-us.pdf
Just to confirm, is this indeed an app named Voicemail? There is no such mention of any discrete Voicemail app in your model's User Manual.
Alarms in the Status bar are typically tied to the Clock app. Something just doesn't match up since voicemail and alarm notifications are such different services. Please confirm the actual name of the app you need to manipulate and clarify what might be going on.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
What device do you have?

What is the name of the app you say is giving you this alarm?

You are talking about this like it is not a notification, is it a notification saying you have a VM? Is it an alarm saying a time, maybe more like a reminder? Is it possible that you marked a VM for reply at a certain time and this is the alarm for that reminder?

Is it an actual alarm, like there is an error of some kind?

What does this alarm/notification say? It would help us if we had more information including a screenshot. This link will help you show us that… https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Aaron Wynne

Jun 20, 2022
Visit site
It's a moto g pure and if I go into apps it is called voicemail installed from mobile installer.

The alarm doesn't go off but it shows up like a reminder on the lock screen and will display the clock icon like a reminder as well at the top bar

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
OK, I misinterpreted your posting. It's not a matter of an 'alarm' message but rather a notification message in the lock screen. That's pretty much typical for apps to show notification messages in the lock screen window, so if that Voicemail app is a carrier installed app, you apparently have a carrier-locked phone with the added minus being since that app is presumably a pre-installed utility you won't be able to Uninstall it. At best you should still be able to Disable the app, but that could be a problem since that also stops the voicemail service to your carrier service account. If you do want to just Disable the app, you might need to check the Settings >> Apps menu and find the Default Apps option before the Disable button is usable. Open Default Apps and un-select the Voicemail app if it's in the list (Might not be). Instead of turning off the app, it might be better to just track down just what that notification message refers to. What does the notification message actually state when you swipe down from the Status bar?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm still getting the impression that what you refer to as a 'voicemail alarm' showing up in your lockscreen is something that does not actually pertain to the same voicemail service the rest of us rely upon. An 'alarm' notification could be as common as just some timed alarm you set up in the Clock app (or Clock app widget). A 'voicemail' notification is something that pops up when someone leaves you a recorded message when you're not able to answer their phone call. Voicemail notifications will show up when there are actual voicemails waiting to be played, and more to the point, not just at random times that vary each day.

Aaron Wynne

Jun 20, 2022
Visit site
I was using the same sound, I changed it and didn't see the clock notification go away. As far as it being the clock app, I can't find anything in the app or a widget that goes along with the icon in the status bar or reminder on the lock screen (probably more appropriate term than notification). If I delete my storage on the clock app nothing changes but if I delete my voicemail storage the status bar icon and lock screen reminder go away which is what's bizarre to me

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
So that we can stop this round and round about what it is or what it is not, please use the link I provided to attach a screenshot. In the four comments since my comment I've pictured 3 different things.

When posting screenshot and/or photos please remember to block out any personal or sensitive information. While some of us are your friends these threads are searchable by the entire WWW.

Aaron Wynne

Jun 20, 2022
Visit site
This should show the alarm on the lock screen (side note this was taken at 8 pm Tuesday and the alarm is for a time earlier in the same day) The other shows the clock icon at the top of the status bar despite there being no alarm set on the clock app. Those are both what go away when I clear my voicemail storage. Thank you for your continued support and patience

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220621-200710.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-200710.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220621-200729.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-200729.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 8

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This should show the alarm on the lock screen (side note this was taken at 8 pm Tuesday and the alarm is for a time earlier in the same day) The other shows the clock icon at the top of the status bar despite there being no alarm set on the clock app. Those are both what go away when I clear my voicemail storage. Thank you for your continued support and patience
Hi welcome to AC!
Your title little misleading it mentioned voicemail voicemail alert but it's actually alarm alert.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, now we can see what we're working with.

Just curious why you feel this is related to voicemail?

There are actually multiple threads on alarm symbols showing up when no alarm is set, as well as alarms that go off with no alarm set.

In this thread the answer was a health app using the alarm icon as a reminder as stated in this quote... "Yes, you were right. It was a health app although one that I didn't use at all. As soon as I uninstalled it, the alarm went away. But why would it open by itself?" You can read more for yourself in the this thread... https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...-clock-icon-is-showing-in-status-bar.1385426/

In the meantime you could search, alarm icon when no alarm is set, and see what you find. There are quite a few out there for just this issue.

Best wishes

Aaron Wynne

Jun 20, 2022
Visit site
I feel that it's related to my voicemail app because the only way it goes away is when I clear the storage of the voicemail in which case it instantly goes away. The clock icon and some random alarm reminder as shown above will then come back as soon as voicemail updates or pushes a notification. I've tried clearing the storage of other apps like the clock app or Google fit and it has no effect.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I feel that it's related to my voicemail app because the only way it goes away is when I clear the storage of the voicemail in which case it instantly goes away. The clock icon and some random alarm reminder as shown above will then come back as soon as voicemail updates or pushes a notification. I've tried clearing the storage of other apps like the clock app or Google fit and it has no effect.
What your showing in your screenshot is alarm app , voicemail alert is different .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch