Why does S5 have poor video quality sending via text msg?

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: S5 poor video quality when sending threw text

Easier way: download a different messaging app... i use textra (full res photos and video send).

FYI on the iPhones - sending images and videos via Imessage sends fill quality. Via sms (green bubbles) it decreases in quality. Speaking from experience.

I downloaded the TEXTRA app and while I actually like it over the others i've tried, you cannot sent hi res or hd video at all. If you try to use the "take video" option it makes it a 320x230 resolution video. I tried attaching a quick hd vid and it said it was to large. Pics I have no issue sending at all, just videos. It's pretty pathetic that my old *** LG flip phone from 2007 was able to send better quality videos though texts.

Doug Fitton

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Chat on would be the only other option to what everything else said

Posted via Android Central App

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

IPhone use imessage not MMS so you don't have a limit on file size. Imessage goes over your data not normal MMS.

This should be solved if you message through hangouts but I'm not 100% sure if you can send videos. I never send videos to friends or family via messaging app.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

It is a Galaxy. USE AND ABUSE the 50GB free Dropbox storage. Put the file to Dropbox and text them the link! It's one more step than an Apple but I prefer single-upload sharing without messing around in YouTube.

Wouldn't this make for more data usage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsxr800

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

iPhones use iMessage which sends pictures over your data network instead aka no MMS. Now if you send a picture from your iPhone to another phone that ISN'T an iPhone, you will get the same results as your S5.

And that just sucks. It would be nice if there was a global option for both os types to do what iMessage does for ios users. With out the extra steps of uploading to Dropbox or anything like it to share a link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

I recently switched from an iPhone as well. While I really love the S5, I am slowly finding out that you have to sacrifice a lot of things to do the same stuff as you did on an iPhone. Such as use dropbox or youtube to send quality videos to other phones. Wait until you try to upload a video to Facebook. They look HORRIBLE. You will get a lot of people who will give you "work arounds" for things that are native on the iPhone.

sads5

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

I recently switched from an iPhone as well. While I really love the S5, I am slowly finding out that you have to sacrifice a lot of things to do the same stuff as you did on an iPhone. Such as use dropbox or youtube to send quality videos to other phones. Wait until you try to upload a video to Facebook. They look HORRIBLE. You will get a lot of people who will give you "work arounds" for things that are native on the iPhone.

I made an account specifically to reply to this thread. I agree completely, I took all the things that my iphone did so buttery smooth for granted and expected the S5 to do everything just as smooth with the addition of a bigger screen and many more features. This was not the case at all... Without going into much detail the phone lags, hiccups and crashes a lot especially when switching between apps. And now that I'm finding out that videos sent through text lose a dramatic amount of quality, I think I've hit my threshold.
Believe me, I want to love this phone, but the lack of smooth performance(and now this) is driving me crazy

Timm4y77

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site

I made an account specifically to reply to this thread. I agree completely, I took all the things that my iphone did so buttery smooth for granted and expected the S5 to do everything just as smooth with the addition of a bigger screen and many more features. This was not the case at all... Without going into much detail the phone lags, hiccups and crashes a lot especially when switching between apps. And now that I'm finding out that videos sent through text lose a dramatic amount of quality, I think I've hit my threshold.
Believe me, I want to love this phone, but the lack of smooth performance(and now this) is driving me crazy

My thoughts exactly. I was truly getting bored with the iPhone's boring interface, but took for granted the performance and ease of use. I REALLY want to like the S5, truly. It is a wonderful machine, but there are just too many small things, added together, that make me long for an iPhone again. I have another 4 months on my contract with Samsung on this S5. I'm hoping things change and I don't want to give it up.

greeneyedgirl800

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

SORRY new to this site i tried to delete this. This is for a question i was replying to regarding Dropbox.

It should normally go right to it depending on your setting for it i have mine set to upload over wi fi automatically. But if it doesn't:
1) go to the desired video or picture and there should be like a what i like to call the share link and it will prompt you to share via what ever you choose to use to send it.
2) then you press add to Dropbox, than to the up to dropbox, than that takes you to your desired folders, from there you would choose the file for it to go to. but normally if you have settings on the device (Phone, Tablet, ipod) set to upload over wi fi it should already go into your camera uploads folder, than whatever device you link to your dropbox, (in my case all home computers, tablets & phones and or ipods) you can access your dropbox from whatever device you choose and your not limited to a specific device. also if your files are not named they are dated in the first set of numbers. so either remember the dates or rename the file so it makes it easier.

Last edited:

greeneyedgirl800

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site

It should normally go right to it depending on your setting for it i have mine set to upload over wi fi automatically. But if it doesn't:
1) go to the desired video or picture and there should be like a what i like to call the share link and it will prompt you to share via what ever you choose to use to send it.
2) then you press add to Dropbox, than to the up to dropbox, than that takes you to your desired folders, from there you would choose the file for it to go to. but normally if you have settings on the device (Phone, Tablet, ipod) set to upload over wi fi it should already go into your camera uploads folder, than whatever device you link to your dropbox, (in my case all home computers, tablets & phones and or ipods) you can access your dropbox from whatever device you choose and your not limited to a specific device. also if your files are not named they are dated in the first set of numbers. so either remember the dates or rename the file so it makes it easier.

Brooke Walmsley

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Anyone having issues sending videos threw text that are distorted and very poor quality?

I am having trouble sending videos full stop, I have tried to shorten the videos, I have tried cutting them in a video editor app and I have tried drop box and nothing will send them!! Sometimes my facebook messenger sends the and sometimes it dosnt!!
Why wont they send even when they are under a minute long?,

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
IMO, videos should never be sent as MMS.

Upload them to a web host, that is far more efficient and you can do it via Wifi, not burn up your DATA account.

MMS must use your carrier's data link.

Upload to a webhost and stay off of your DATA link.

hobart9579

May 22, 2016
Visit site

My thoughts exactly. I was truly getting bored with the iPhone's boring interface, but took for granted the performance and ease of use. I REALLY want to like the S5, truly. It is a wonderful machine, but there are just too many small things, added together, that make me long for an iPhone again. I have another 4 months on my contract with Samsung on this S5. I'm hoping things change and I don't want to give it up.

I feel exactly the same way. I just switched from iPhone to Android, specifically the Galaxy S7 Edge. I want to love it so badly but it's lacking in so many areas. First, it's just not as compatible with other devices. A great example is my car. My car is a brand new 2015 Audi A4 and it won't sync media. So I can no longer use navigation through Bluetooth. Not only is this bad but it's actually dangerous. My iPhone had no problems here. There are also many synching issues with WiFi. It's driving me crazy. Other issues include texts not working properly. In addition to the videos looking horrendous, random messages just don't go through. Group messaging doesn't really work. For whatever reason, I don't get messages from some people in the group. The keyboard is terrible by default. I was making a million typos. This was another thing I took for granted with my iPhone. I assumed everyone had that covered by now. Not the case at all. I downloaded SwiftKey which is better but not like the iPhone keyboard. It's just everything. I can't wait until I can switch back. Android still has a long way to go...

Last edited:

rickinsav

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Feeling exactly the same with my S7 Edge. The touch screen is too responsive when you don't want it to be and not accurate enough when you are trying to tap on something. I'm either hitting the back button or double tapping on just about everything it seems. That and the damn spinning when everything is loading slower than it does on the iPhone. Didn't realize how much I miss Siri and replying to texts via the lock screen.

Really tempted to sell mine on Swappa and buy someone's used iPhone. Might cost me an extra $100.

Camera is really good though.

RottenCrotch

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Anyone having issues sending videos threw text that are distorted and very poor quality?

What no one seems to mention is that it only happens when you try to send a video from an android device to an iPhone. When I send the same videos to other android users, the video comes through in full resolution.

To me, it seems like Apple is doing this intentionally to save bandwidth, but they get the added benefit of iPhone users who don't know any better, thinking that Androids have terrible cameras on them.

RottenCrotch

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

What no one seems to mention is that it only happens when you try to send a video from an android device to an iPhone. When I send the same videos to other android users, the video comes through in full resolution.

To me, it seems like Apple is doing this intentionally to save bandwidth, but they get the added benefit of iPhone users who don't know any better, thinking that Androids have terrible cameras on them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll