Why don't people like HTC anymore?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
SwiftKey added the extra not in there, I meant Doesn't the Droid incredible 2 run sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

I know the Flyer on gingerbread ran sense 1.0 for tablets, that was based off of Sense 2.1 and it wasn't too bad.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk 2

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Man I've had sooo many htc phones... Sense looks great... But it takes more to run it period... Samsungs touch wiz isn't as pretty but it does all sense does and more... And I can still multi task.... Sense 4.0 has Way more freezes too... It's way better than it use to be.... But it's still a problem on HTC... I don't have that problem on my GS3

Sent from my GS3....

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Man I've had sooo many htc phones... Sense looks great... But it takes more to run it period... Samsungs touch wiz isn't as pretty but it does all sense does and more... And I can still multi task.... Sense 4.0 has Way more freezes too... It's way better than it use to be.... But it's still a problem on HTC... I don't have that problem on my GS3

Sent from my GS3....

So you're saying that sense uses more resources and does less? I've seen how much RAM both OS's use, and Touchwiz uses more. Which makes sense, since it has more software "features" built-in.

I've also never had Sense freeze or force close. An the only time I get the loading screen is when the phone first is rebooted.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying that sense uses more resources and does less? I've seen how much RAM both OS's use, and Touchwiz uses more. Which makes sense, since it has more software "features" built-in.

I've also never had Sense freeze or force close. An the only time I get the loading screen is when the phone first is rebooted.

Call it what you want.... I,,,, like I'm sure many people on the forums... am tech support for family, friends and colleagues at work and clients for my personal company.. They don't call 611... They call me. email me come to my desk.... Usually it's an HTC... Freezing or buggy.. weather sense uses more or less ram.. Whatever it's clear htc has struggled with managing sense efficiently period...

Again its better on the new devices but I've still see more complaints about the new evo freezing and closing apps... I love HTC as a company more than any of them because of my history with their phones... but for now I'm done with them... For multiple reasons... It was hard for me to pick up a Samsung... Hell I went Motorola before that cause I didn't like Samsungs ... But Sammy is doing something right.... For me!!

Sent from my GS3....

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
With all that said.. I'll again repeat myself htc sense is the reason we have integration and many features for all smartphone... They coppied sense... Sense on the 1st evo and my love the 1st Dinc... Started it all.... No questions... But since then... They have done nothing major(sense not physical phone) ... Much like Apple to IOS ... Small improvements and have been surpassed

Sent from my GS3....

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Call it what you want.... I,,,, like I'm sure many people on the forums... am tech support for family, friends and colleagues at work and clients for my personal company.. They don't call 611... They call me. email me come to my desk.... Usually it's an HTC... Freezing or buggy.. weather sense uses more or less ram.. Whatever it's clear htc has struggled with managing sense efficiently period...

Again its better on the new devices but I've still see more complaints about the new evo freezing and closing apps... I love HTC as a company more than any of them because of my history with their phones... but for now I'm done with them... For multiple reasons... It was hard for me to pick up a Samsung... Hell I went Motorola before that cause I didn't like Samsungs ... But Sammy is doing something right.... For me!!

Sent from my GS3....

Gotta use what's best for you. Same for me.

I get the opposite, though, with calls and emails about samsung devices (maybe because people don't have HTC, or they don't have problems).

If I had problems with the phones I've owned it would turn me off, too, but I haven't. Not with HTC or Samsung, really.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Gotta use what's best for you. Same for me.

I get the opposite, though, with calls and emails about samsung devices (maybe because people don't have HTC, or they don't have problems).

If I had problems with the phones I've owned it would turn me off, too, but I haven't. Not with HTC or Samsung, really.

Most of the time it's older htc phones... 1 or 2 new evo have been brought to my attention about lagging that's it

Honestly everyone loves their HOX who has one...
Sent from my GS3....

cognac_sipper

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
The problem is they should have released a 32 gig version in North America. Multitasking is an issue too. I'm not even using sense. On CM10

Will say the phone it self looks stunning and elegant and blows the s3 away in build quality and screen sharpness.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Well they are correcting that mistake. One x+ is coming to the states in true form, only hardware difference is a lte modem. Otherwise, Tegra 3, 2100 mah battery and 64 gigs of storage... Not going to lie I kinda want it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The problem is they should have released a 32 gig version in North America. Multitasking is an issue too. I'm not even using sense. On CM10

Will say the phone it self looks stunning and elegant and blows the s3 away in build quality and screen sharpness.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Switch to AOKP. It has better multitasking than my N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

undertothenight

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I would buy a phone from them again if they did another nexus. The nexus one was by far my favorite Android phone. Like most people though I want timely updates, removable battery or really big battery, and sd slot would be nice. I'd love it if they made it so you can choose sense or aosp on first boot or factory reset.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Why is HTC giving AT&T another exclusive on this device? They're limiting the best version of it! And then 3 mos from now they'll post more losses because they didnt sell enough of them. At least in the US the HTC one x and x+ are only on AT&T. Could pay full price for an unlocked one on another GSM, but the real question is why isn't their flagship device available on all carriers after 6 months? Then they refresh it and slightly upgrade it and guess what? Another AT&T exclusive. Is this 2007 again?AT&T didnt advertise the heck out of this device for them, so they didn't get some isane media blitz from it because there was only the one with the guy skydiving taking pics. And it didnt really tell you what device it is. It didnt impress upon you that this was the device to have. It was just another phone commercial.And they wonder why they're not making the huge profits from this device. And it really should be on more than just one carrier by now. Its been 6 months and its still only available on AT&T. Thats not going to compete against iphone and Galaxy s3. Quit the exclusives and you would probably sell more devices.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Why is HTC giving AT&T another exclusive on this device? They're limiting the best version of it! And then 3 mos from now they'll post more losses because they didnt sell enough of them. At least in the US the HTC one x and x+ are only on AT&T. Could pay full price for an unlocked one on another GSM, but the real question is why isn't their flagship device available on all carriers after 6 months? Then they refresh it and slightly upgrade it and guess what? Another AT&T exclusive. Is this 2007 again?AT&T didnt advertise the heck out of this device for them, so they didn't get some isane media blitz from it because there was only the one with the guy skydiving taking pics. And it didnt really tell you what device it is. It didnt impress upon you that this was the device to have. It was just another phone commercial.And they wonder why they're not making the huge profits from this device. And it really should be on more than just one carrier by now. Its been 6 months and its still only available on AT&T. Thats not going to compete against iphone and Galaxy s3. Quit the exclusives and you would probably sell more devices.

This is the reason HTC sales keep going down every quarter.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
This is the reason HTC sales keep going down every quarter.

Hardly. They're going down in other markets where the devices aren't limited to one carrier, so that really doesn't fly here where AT&T has the second biggest network with the second largest LTE coverage and the second fastest LTE expansion... One Series sales didn't meet expectations, period. If they keep going down this route, they may eventually get passed by LG in the Android ecosystem. Motorola is increasingly turning out better devices with skinning that facilitates fast updates, as well... They are between a rock and a hard place right now.

As for advertising. Not really. The carrier won't do all the heavy work unless the device is seen as truly new or revolutionary. HTC simply doesn't have the advertising budget Samsung does, and even without the injunction they wouldn't have done much better than they had done in that area. Apple does most of the iOS device Advertising, Microsoft and Nokia did most of the Windows Phone Advertisement. Samsung does most of theirs. The only smartphone line that gets a truly huge carrier investment for Advertisement is the Droid Brand with Verizon. Anything not branded Droid, you're on your own unless they're having some huge promotion (though for new devices carriers tend to always do a little advert Sprint to move them out as fast as possible).

Problem is a lot of people do not consider HTC a premium brand. They consider Samsung Android's premium brand, and geeky types will simply get a Nexus phone. A lot of people will hold off on an HTC product just to see what Apple, Samsung, Nokia has to Answer it, and when those phones launch with advantages they simply wait for those or go out and buy them. HTC cannibalized their own sales with stupidity. That's their problem. My mom barely knows how to use a smartphone, but even she made sure to replace her One X (which goes unused right now) with a Galaxy S3 the minute it was released because the "Galaxies" are awesome phones, they say...

Plus, they wasted money on not so great investments - including advertisement money. Everyone knew Beats was a joke. I'm not sure why they went that route in lieu of putting better sound hardware in their phones and raving about that (the way they raved about the camera after they started putting better cameras in their phones - remember they used to be terrible there as well).

Right now the only reason I see to buy HTC over Samsung/Nokia/Apple is the Camera Software (not the camera module, which is at best competitive with other top end devices, not factorably better). Their camera software is great, the rest of the device is meh and I tend to settle with what comes on the phone without much complaints, anyways (adapt and move on, unless an update comes and completely changes it since I do buy devices based on software capabilities and performance).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It's sad people base their opinions on HTC with a bad experience on an older phone that had bloated sense and when you had more bloatware apps and the inability to even disable them pre-ics (out of the box). HTC has truely been the innovator for Android since day 1. They had their hardware and software issues but I bet if more people actually bought the original Galaxy they would never have been so eager about the S2.

Now Samsung is a big company and have made the Galaxy line top of the line. However, HTC is no slouch, they had a rough year in 2011 but the One series/EvoLte are GREAT phones. Just as good as any premium phone on the market and the most superior screen on any device atm. They always innovate with new ideas through Sense while listening to the customer by lightening Sense at the same time. Now the One X+ looks to be the phone to revive the original Android maker. Long live HTC, loved my OG EVO and love my LTE.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

As for the Original Galaxy S. Everyone knew they had performance issues on those phones because even at the Samsung launch event the phone was obvious laggy and stuttered. However, back then a laggy Android phone was the norm, since a lot of devices were mid-range and had bad performance, anyways... The Galaxy S was truly bad, but HTC didn't really give people a choice, anyways... The GPS issues were also well-known after the Int'l launch.

Few other Android devices were shipping with as much built-in storage as the Galaxy S devices.
The screen on those devices back then truly was revolutionary.
The GPU in those devices outperformed almost everything on the market at that time, the CPU was no slouch.
They were easy to MOD.
They had sound on par with an iPod.
The user interface was designed to mimic an iPhone, which made it popular with people who either weren't on AT&T or couldn't afford an iPhone. Verizon didn't have the iPhone yet.
Software Conveniences like DLNA weren't well-distributed across OEMs yet. Only Samsung and Motorola had decent DLNA clients, and Motorola didn't have high end devices on any carrier except Verizon (this was well before the Atrix 4G).

Now to carriers...

The Captivate was AT&T's first high end Android device. There was no choice in what to buy if you wanted high end Android on that carrier.
The Epic 4G launched right after the Evo, with factorably more internal space, a way better screen, and other niceties.
T-Mobile didn't have any other high end Android devices on their network. In fact the only device with specs even comparable to the Vibrant - in theory - on their network was the HTC HD2 and no one was buying Windows Mobile devices except geeks to hack it. The HD2 had tons of QA/QC issues as well, which didn't help HTC. The G2 wasn't out yet (with its own host of issues) and nor was the MT4G, BB7 devices, or any Windows phones. The Vibrant stood on its own there, and dominated everything displayed in T-Mobile stores, easily.
Verizon didn't get theirs until quite a while later and anyone who bought that phone knowing the issues the other devices can't complain about it.

The reason why Samsung dominates HTC this way is because on sites like XDA and AC people value specs over user experience. A bunch of people peddled the Samsung devices and stated they were fine just install a custom ROM. As long as the general idea is that "you can always switch the software, just worry about the hardware" Samsung will continue to dominate them because an integrated (and far richer) company like Samsung is able to differentiate themselves on that level much better than a company like HTC (which made a name for itself mostly for their Software customizations on top of other OSes like Windows Mobile).

People will care for the One X+ about as much as they cared about the One X, which is... Not nearly as much as they care about what Samsung's answer to the One X+ will be. It's the circle of iLife (excuse the pun).