Why in the world am I moving to iPhone

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
iOS is a weird little duck for me. For some reason I always end up back on it as my DD even with its many limitations and lack of customization. My Note 10+ is the longest I've stuck with any Android phone, and it's not even a year old. I don't necessarily see me going back yet. I love my Note 10+, but there's something comfortable about using iOS. Maybe it's b/c I use so many other Apple products, and started using iOS back in 2008. It's just very consistent I guess. I do like both OS's, and will probably use both for the foreseeable future. But I wouldn't be surprised to see myself back on iOS full time within the next year or so. Only time will tell...

I will say that iOS software has not been as stable as it used to be. The whole "it just works" thing hasn't been true for a while. There are always weird bugs that Apple can't seem to squash. There are also a few things that I feel like Apple needs to address in both hardware and software before I'd strongly consider using it daily again.

To the OP, I'd say there's no harm in switching over and seeing how it works out for you. iOS devices hold their value like no other phone, so you could always sell/trade it if it doesn't work out for you.

Good luck!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I've quit purchasing Android phones, although many look tempting (OnePlus 8 Pro, for example). However, now that the economy is in flux and this pandemic is ravaging the country, the best thing for me is to use the iPhone 11 Pro Max. The reason being is that many family members have iPhones and the ability to use iMessage and FaceTime to keep in contact with family is really important. Sure, there are other apps like Google Duo that I could use, but getting everyone to download an app they really don't need can be a chore. Combine that with regular software updates, the seamless connection between the AirPods Pro and the Apple Watch Series 5, makes it a no-brainer. There hasn't been anything in the Android world that can do all that.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm sure it is , I hear good things about it .

My dad had one. It was his second smartphone. Before that he had a cheapo Windows Phone. He'd honestly probably still be using the Gen 1 SE, but I gave him my X b/c his eyes aren't so great. He'll probably keep the X until it no longer works. All he does is go to FB, calls, occasional pics of his dog, and occasional texts so iOS works well for him. It's been a chore teaching him how to do the simplest things on iOS so I can't imagine trying to move him over to Android.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong please - since I use split screen/multitasking daily, pop out youtube vids daily, and download to**ents - my choice is Android still. Can all this be done on the latest iOS yet? If so, it would be a very good reason for me to check out iOS.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong please - since I use split screen/multitasking daily, pop out youtube vids daily, and download torrents - my choice is Android still. Can all this be done on the latest iOS yet? If so, it would be a very good reason for me to check out iOS.

The first 2, not on iOS, but yes on iPadOS. The 3rd is a no-no to talk about in the forums.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
My dad had one. It was his second smartphone. Before that he had a cheapo Windows Phone. He'd honestly probably still be using the Gen 1 SE, but I gave him my X b/c his eyes aren't so great. He'll probably keep the X until it no longer works. All he does is go to FB, calls, occasional pics of his dog, and occasional texts so iOS works well for him. It's been a chore teaching him how to do the simplest things on iOS so I can't imagine trying to move him over to Android.

It be very hard for him to migrate to Android. A lot of older people just don't care to invest the time into it and find these devices hard to learn how to navigate.
There's a syntax to using these softwares that seems counterintuitive to many older people that never used it.
Poor vision greatly complicates usage and makes it a real pain to learn... that may well be why it's so hard.
It makes less fun to play with as well.

I have 20/10 near vision and Android gives me a run for my money...

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It be very hard for him to migrate to Android. A lot of older people just don't care to invest the time into it and find these devices hard to learn how to navigate.
There's a syntax to using these softwares that seems counterintuitive to many older people that never used it.
Poor vision greatly complicates usage and makes it a real pain to learn... that may well be why it's so hard.
It makes less fun to play with as well.

I have 20/10 near vision and Android gives me a run for my money...

Yeah, he really has 0 desire to learn anything about tech in general. I don't think he's ever even touched a laptop/desktop. He considered FB hard to use, and only joined it a few years ago. He gets a real kick out of FB now though...I just have to keep reminding him a lot of what's on FB isn't real. Haha!

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, he really has 0 desire to learn anything about tech in general. I don't think he's ever even touched a laptop/desktop. He considered FB hard to use, and only joined it a few years ago. He gets a real kick out of FB now though...I just have to keep reminding him a lot of what's on FB isn't real. Haha!

It's tough. I commend you for your patience in taking the time to teach him.
It's like trying to lead a steel horse to water...
I won't go near FB... keep an eye on that.
Too many dishonest people out there looking for easy anything.

cbme2

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
I've always loved the way iPhones scatter all of your apps all over your home screen. With 162 apps on your phone it shouldn't take you any time to find the app you want. Just a bit o f sarcasm from a previous iPhone user.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I've always loved the way iPhones scatter all of your apps all over your home screen. With 162 apps on your phone it shouldn't take you any time to find the app you want. Just a bit o f sarcasm from a previous iPhone user.
Pretty much the opposite of what you can get with a KEYone/KEY2/LE where you can have a completely clean home screen and just press a key to launch any app.

You just have to remember what you set each key to open lol

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
@blackhawkhot I'm not a fan of FB either. I only keep my account for Messenger. I disable pre-installed FB as soon as I get a new phone.

Thank you. Sorry for my rookie mistake.

No worries. It happens. Just wanted to let ya know :)

Welcome to AC btw, and I hope you find the forums fun and useful!

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Granted, running 2 apps on iPad os is not as good or seemless as it is on Android. At least in my experience. Some may like it better but it annoys me, so I rarely use it on my iPad. I do however use it on my android phones and tablets often.
Thank you. Sorry for my rookie mistake.

rchapman80

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
This is easy for me. Facetime and iMessage. When 9.5 out of 10 friends are on iOS things can get difficult. For me they have to download a secondary video chat and use SMS. The SMS is seamless for them but what isn't is the downgraded quality of pictures and videos. Say what you want but trying to get the to use another service just for the 3 android users is a large task because their services work great for them. I would gladly pay Apple a fee for the ability to use those services on my Android phone. BUT I WOULD NEVER SWITCH JUST TO GET THOSE FEATURES.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
This is easy for me. Facetime and iMessage. When 9.5 out of 10 friends are on iOS things can get difficult. For me they have to download a secondary video chat and use SMS. The SMS is seamless for them but what isn't is the downgraded quality of pictures and videos. Say what you want but trying to get the to use another service just for the 3 android users is a large task because their services work great for them. I would gladly pay Apple a fee for the ability to use those services on my Android phone. BUT I WOULD NEVER SWITCH JUST TO GET THOSE FEATURES.

Wow. Wasn't aware of that. No one likes being strong armed into a purchase; not quit but close enough.
I'll take my good looking demon Android over that brand nonsense anyday...

One thing I noticed comparing Android flagship to Apple flagship is internal memory is much cheaper with Android and on the Note 10 plus I get a huge SD card supported.
Memory is a really big deal to me, give me 2 tbs of memory and I will use it.
No joke.
Don't go chintzy on the device memory or RAM!
My two biggest reasons to upgrade... a computer plus data in your pocket is incredible.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I have mind in folders which makes it very easy to find apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali