Why is homescreen roatation turned off?! Nexus 7 can do it

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I couldn't believe the replies I was seeing here.

Anyway, OP, the question you should be asking is why are you still using the stock launcher? =P Get something like Nova Launcher (my preference) or Apex Launcher (almost identical) and it allows you to rotate the home screen as well as a lot more other very useful functions and it doesn't stray far from the look of the stock launcher.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
I love Nova launcher. And, yeah, you can make it look pretty much exactly like the stock launcher. It has it's own animations and scrolling/animation speeds and whatnot, but it also lets you choose stock settings if you wish.
Sounds trivial, but my favorite feature of Nova Launcher (and others) is the ability to delete the text under the home screen icons. e.g.., I don't need my Netflix icon to have white "Netflix" text under it when the icon itself says Netflix.

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
dont think auto-rotating homescreen on a phone is such an automatic good idea. for most people theyre just going to be using in portrait. there are other 3rd party launchers that can let you do it, or as someone mentioned the ultimate rotation control app, if you want to easily accomplish this.

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a good idea and really? Obnoxious replies...
The screen is small enough as it is and then the people that developed the phone have to put a lot more coding because when you are going to put it in landscape mode, they have to change the layout of the entire phone and some of the widgets won't be able to fix because of the lack of space on a phone. The nexus 7 is a tablet... that's why it can rotate because IT ACTUALLY HAS ROOM. If you want the rotation go find an application or root the device... i'm pretty sure a majority of people don't want this anyway, wasted time of coding.

kaitainjones

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Wait... What's the problem here? You want the home screen to rotate? You mention nav. You know there is a screen setting you can check called "auto rotate screen" under display settings. The only thing that won't rotate is the home screen

This may be the dumbest post I have ever read.

Greg Zuro

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Note that if rooted, you can use 'exposed app settings' to change launcher's orientation from default to normal.

It works great on my nexus 4!

Montymobile

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah some really obnoxious replies. The guy wants his home screen to rotate. I want my home screen to be in landscape when in my car dock, end off. I use Nova launcher and it works great and no all the widgets and shortcuts are fine when rotated

nandaaft

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It is very simple.Home screen is locked from rotation because when you receive a phone call and talk the ear piece should be at top and mouth piece at the bottom.If the home screen is rotated this will be disturbed.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It is very simple.Home screen is locked from rotation because when you receive a phone call and talk the ear piece should be at top and mouth piece at the bottom.If the home screen is rotated this will be disturbed.

I don't think your home screen affects the position of the microphone and speaker on your phone.

nandaaft

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Probably I have not explained properly.When you hold your phone in portrait mode and the wallpaper is upright the speaker is at the top and microphone at bottom.If the phone is rotated upside down and if the wall paper is also rotated the speaker goes down and microphone goes up.The wall paper remains upright
I don't think your home screen affects the position of the microphone and speaker on your phone.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Probably I have not explained properly.When you hold your phone in portrait mode and the wallpaper is upright the speaker is at the top and microphone at bottom.If the phone is rotated upside down and if the wall paper is also rotated the speaker goes down and microphone goes up.The wall paper remains upright

So you're saying the user might get confused as to which side the speaker is and which side the mic is? I see your point. Though I think it's better to at least give the option to allow the home screen to rotate.

Marek Mizera

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. On most phones this is not aviable. Thats exactly why this would be great feature. Most users use theirs smartphones as mini tablets these days, thus landscape oriented. So this is huge inconvinience, when i go back to homescreen to Turnsomething on. They should add this as optional switchable setting

raydlee msc

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Great little app, but I agree with the OP in that it shouldn't be disabled just because it's a phone - it *is* a *smart* phone, right? So let it be smart, rather than *just* a phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds