Why is location needed for camera on Tab 3?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Trying to get camera to function and since I have restricted location permissions, the camera will not work. Why the heck does the camera need to know my location in order to snap a photo? Talk about privacy overreach.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It uses location to geo tag where the photo was taken but I've never seen an Android device unable to take a photo without location enabled.

Ismellsnow

Jan 16, 2019
Visit site
I am the OP.
I do not wish to use geotagging or be forced to do so, for myself or more importantly as this is a tablet for my child.

When trying to use the camera I automatically get a popup stating:

"Unable to open camera. Tap settings, to to application info> Permissions, then allow the following permissions and try again:

How about no. It is creepy that location (and even mic) needs to work for this to function. If either and both of these options are off the camera will not go into working mode.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why it won't work, disables location permission on my phone and it had no effect on its ability to take a photo.

If the camera has permission to use location but location services are turned off it wouldn't be able to geotag the photos. Some of Samsungs camera apps also have the ability to disable location tagging within the camera app settings.

I dont develop apps so I really don't know in detail how all the permissions work or why it would prevent a photo from being taken.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463