Why is my Moto X randomly deleting contacts and messages?

A

AC Question

Moto x randomly deleting contacts and messages

Hello, I have the moto x phone and it recently did something very strange. My mother, who I had been talking to on the messaging app, was deleted from my phone. Her contact and messages completely vanished. I noticed that it happen a few days after I edited her contact info. I have no idea how this happened! Any ideas?

Stelladot35

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto x randomly deleting contacts and messages

Idk why it happened buut I noticed the same thing today on my motox. Lost my husband's contact and all messages from him which included locked messages and pvictures:eek:

Hayyden

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Same problem. Spent 30 mind on the phone. They tell me it's a "bug" and there is nothing they can do to help me. Apparently someone who hates valentine's day just decided to be a ***. Lost 4 contacts and all messages associated with those people some very special messages completely gone despite being locked. They told me could lose 20% of Google contacts. I have the moto g btw

Last edited:

HenryJacob8

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Blamed my son who is 3 for this issue. He always plays games on my phone so I thought he must of deleted the 2 very important work contacts and messages that went missing. Noticed it 2 days ago but I haven't let him touch it and another just disappeared

Puppydoglove

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Hello, I have the moto x phone and it recently did something very strange. My mother, who I had been talking to on the messaging app, was deleted from my phone. Her contact and messages completely vanished. I noticed that it happen a few days after I edited her contact info. I have no idea how this happened! Any ideas?

Restart your phone. Should help! There was a forum about this already. Bug associated with updates

Chris Wayne2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site

Are you guys saving your contacts to your phone only or are you syncing with your google account?, it would be very weird if contacts get deleted from google's servers, also you should try using Outlook and save your contacts in the people hub, there you can synchronize your contacts with your phone.

Hayyden

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

I genearlly try to back my contacts up to my google account. I'm not sure if the ones that went missing were because I couldn't find them once they disaperared

Hayyden

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site

Just spoke to an expert via pm.
They say:
"The first step in solving a problem is to be able to reproduce it at will, otherwise it's just educated guesswork.

I assume this was after a Lollipop update with all of you. Since I wouldn't let any of my phones near Lollipop for at least a few months (because of bugs like this one), I can't reproduce the problem.

As for contacts, if you have contact sync enabled in your Google account (not your gmail account), and all your contacts are entered as Google contacts, they should stay at Google Contacts and resync (unless whatever is deleting them also syncs the delete, which deletes them from the server).

You can also maintain your own backup locally, whatever kind of contact it is, and all your texts, with MyPhoneExplorer."

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

If your contacts are stored in Google's servers, there's a 'backup' option that allows you to go back to a previous contact list. So here's what I'd do first:
1) Check your contacts on your phone and make sure they're being saved to Google's servers.
2) If you log into your Google Account via web browser, can you see the SAME Contacts in Google or do you see more? If you see more, then there's a sync issue with your phone. If you see the same, then your account is in Sync, but we'd still need to find out why your phone is deleting these.
3) To avoid losing more contacts, back up your list to a file or device or other service. Just in case.
4) Now go into your Google Contacts via web browser, and in the settings, restore a previous copy from a date you remember you had your full contact list. Is the list still full in the web browser version? If not, then the contacts you 'lost' were never really backed up to Google's servers. If they are, you can 'start over' and see if the issue still presents itself.

Victorviper

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

If your contacts are stored in Google's servers, there's a 'backup' option that allows you to go back to a previous contact list. So here's what I'd do first:
1) Check your contacts on your phone and make sure they're being saved to Google's servers.
2) If you log into your Google Account via web browser, can you see the SAME Contacts in Google or do you see more? If you see more, then there's a sync issue with your phone. If you see the same, then your account is in Sync, but we'd still need to find out why your phone is deleting these.
3) To avoid losing more contacts, back up your list to a file or device or other service. Just in case.
4) Now go into your Google Contacts via web browser, and in the settings, restore a previous copy from a date you remember you had your full contact list. Is the list still full in the web browser version? If not, then the contacts you 'lost' were never really backed up to Google's servers. If they are, you can 'start over' and see if the issue still presents itself.

Thank u!!! I have been searching the Internet for an answer to this problem for days. Everyone says "I have the same problem" but no one has a answer. I will do this now