Why is my Samsung S9 Battery draining so fast?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hello,

I bought new samsung s9 on black Friday. Received it on 1st Dec. Once I got it, I charged it 100% and then started using it. I've noticed that my phone battery drains way too fast! The main apps I'm using are: facebook, mesenger, gmail, sometimes instagram and youtube ~ 20mins a day.
Yesterday I used messenger to chat with my partner for 20mins, in that time I lost 10% of battery!
My phone battery dies after 12 hours of using messenger to chat. ( for example today I got at work at 10:00 o'clock with +80% of battery and its 17:00 o'clolck now and I only got 20% batter left!)
i'm on '' medium battery saver'' mode, no notifications on screen (only blue light when someone messages me).

Can you advise me is there any troubleshooting or I should replace my device? :(

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have seen Facebook Messenger battery usage far higher than Screen battery usage on a friend’s phone. That seemed almost impossible to me at the time, but apparently it is so.
I don’t use the app myself, but other members may confirm its battery-guzzling tendencies.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Facebook will. Fb Lite is one option, or web version. Can't really use Fb and also limit it's background process. There is a Developer Options to limit to only 4 bg apps, or to immediately kill (which makes it impossible to do a lot of things of course).

10% per hour when active has been my experience over years of Android mostly Samsung 7 thru S8/9 and Note 8 and 9. When I'm out and about I carry a brick to charge/power.

After setting it up and had a few days, I've found it worthwhile to clear cache partition made a difference with battery drain.

Net_Surfer

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
This is the second post that I have seen in reference to power. I researched the S9+ before buying and aside from all the bells and whistles, I love the power. Just to give you a run through, the apps that I have running and they provide notifications are Facebook, Messenger and a second Messenger, Instagram, Twitter, WhatsApp, The Score, TSN, Sportsnet, CNN, Tumblr and a few which is mostly email from Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail. Let's say I take the phone off charge at 06:45 by the time I get to work with a 5-10 minute conversation, I am at about 95%, 90% the lowest and this is now at 08:00. By noon without charging at will be at or near 75%. If I continue the day without charging, by the time I am ready to leave at 17:00 it will between 60% to 65%! So if I did not have a lot of these notifications then I am sure my phone would be at or near 80% when I am going home. My battery saver is set to medium and I check it once in a while to see if there is anything using it and it is always Messenger. But for me it is excellent when it comes to battery power!

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
use an app called Metal, it allows you to chat with your Facebook friends without even needing a separate FB Messenger app and is much easier on the battery. Facebook and Facebook Messenger are the biggest battery draining apps on a phone.

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
How much brightness are you using? I'm asking because people often have screen on full blast and tend to forget to mention it.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
use an app called Metal, it allows you to chat with your Facebook friends without even needing a separate FB Messenger app and is much easier on the battery. Facebook and Facebook Messenger are the biggest battery draining apps on a phone.
What do you use for Facebook newsfeed reading?

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
All the apps that are on this battery draining list are because of an "app crash". Would these be draining my battery and how do I fix them?
eda5bcb0420a97ad6696c94e9f84f5ca.jpg

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
AccuWeather was an issue for me and others so bye bye it went.

I'd remove all of the others too then add back if you must one at a time. I don't have any experience with them to know but to troubleshoot always good to way.

Before uninstalling wipe the storage cache and data.

SDmaid Pro will clean up orphans and anything left behind. Useful tool.

Look for paid pro versions.

Consider temporarily install and run Malwarebytes perhaps.

Also good idea to wipe cache partition afterwards. No downside, takes two minutes. I do that after setup and after updates.