Why isn't my Google speech to text not working correctly?

prosscct

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google speech to text not working correctly

Same issue, Motorola Droid Bionic. Started right after that infernal, broken Google Maps update (which broke everything in Maps itself). I've noticed it correlates to punctuation and pauses.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Same issue, Motorola Droid Bionic. Started right after that infernal, broken Google Maps update (which broke everything in Maps itself). I've noticed it correlates to punctuation and pauses.
It does seem to correlate with punctuation. We need to address this issue to Google. I cannot find a web address to send complaints too. I tried to send them feedback on my phone so maybe that will work. I keep checking this forum every day to see if the issue has been fixed.

wirelessone

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

It does seem to correlate with punctuation. We need to address this issue to Google. I cannot find a web add"alertress to send complaints too. I tried to send them feedback on my phone so maybe that will work. I keep checking this forum every day to see if the issue has been fixed.

Google has a forum to "alert" them of issues (i.e. a forum discussion group just like this) where I started a thread. Alas, only one other comment and it was from another user from this forum. They purposely make themselves unavailable to avoid customer service costs. I have researched this and have only found this page which does have a phone number to the headquarters. Previously calls to this number have resulted in being told to submit an email (also on this page). No responses . . .but maybe power with numbers? Someone else please try!
https://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/

also, more comments on this forum might get the issue some attention:
Google Groups

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

If a fix doesn't show up by tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept 3), I will call HTC again as my phone is an HTC Raider 4G. As I recall, when I called HTC last week, the CSR told me that Google was aware of the problem. In effect, once HTC was informed, Google was also informed. Anyway, I will call again tomorrow and post on this forum whatever I learn.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

If a fix doesn't show up by tomorrow (Tuesday, Sept 3), I will call HTC again as my phone is an HTC Raider 4G. As I recall, when I called HTC last week, the CSR told me that Google was aware of the problem. In effect, once HTC was informed, Google was also informed. Anyway, I will call again tomorrow and post on this forum whatever I learn.

I am hoping for that update! This has been going on for too long! I can't find an email address to Google at all for problems!

hi5

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Temporary solution: If you speak without pausing, even if you add punctuation, it will print all of the words except the last one. (I usually add an extra non-relevant word at the end). The other thing you can do (until they fix this) is to click on the end of what does show up and then touch the microphone again. Then you can continue to dictate without it erasing what you have already dictated.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

It's 5:30 pm Eastern Time (2130 UTC Sept 3, 2013). I just spoke on the telephone with a CSR at HTC and he informed me that they continue to work toward an update/fix for the problem but that they cannot currently provide an ETA for the delivery of the update. He assured me that they are taking the matter seriously as they work toward a solution/update.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Well, I know mine worked after that update, but maybe they did something behind the scenes after and updated he update . . .grrr

I have not seen a fix for this bug yet. I installed the SWPE Keyboard from the Google Play store until an update or patch comes along. It seems like Google is not going to resolve this issue. When I upgrade I will probably go to an IPhone...

fozzy50

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S2 and ended up updating via Kies to Android version 4.1.2. This fixed the problem but I must admit there were some aspects of ICS which I would still prefer. So as a last resort this worked but not ideal.

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I have a Galaxy S2 and ended up updating via Kies to Android version 4.1.2. This fixed the problem but I must admit there were some aspects of ICS which I would still prefer. So as a last resort this worked but not ideal.
I like ICS, my android version is 4.0.3. I don't think I can upgrade this software unless HTC does it. I think the processor is the issue.
So you think it was a conflict with ICS?

JillontheLake

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

Same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S2. Am not good at typing and use S to text for everything!Will try the Kies update.

fozzy50

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I am no expert on these issues but I had auto updates activated on Google Play and can only assume that the problem - we are all experiencing - occurred after an update (couldn't say what was the offending app) Everything working as it should now that I have installed Android version 4.1.2
Like I said before not ideal and although JB isn't the worse thing in the world I have decided to source another Galaxy S2 running ICS and DISABLE all updates. My daughter can have my current phone!

rayfornario

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I am no expert on these issues but I had auto updates activated on Google Play and can only assume that the problem - we are all experiencing - occurred after an update (couldn't say what was the offending app) Everything working as it should now that I have installed Android version 4.1.2
Like I said before not ideal and although JB isn't the worse thing in the world I have decided to source another Galaxy S2 running ICS and DISABLE all updates. My daughter can have my current phone!
Wish I could do the same! I am temporarily using SWPE which works ok but I still prefer the old keyboard and voice to text. At this point, I doubt it will be fixed. It is going on three weeks and nothing from Google as of yet.

larryhut

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Paul

Aug 29

Thanks for letting us know everyone, we'll look into it!

Saw this in another thread and thought it needed to be shared to be able to get to the right people to help fix this problem. I am having the same problem-HTC One.

As a reminder, we always appreciate it if you would scroll to the bottom of Google Now and open up the menu (three vertical dots) and select Send feedback. whenever you encounter an issue like this (or you'd just like to share something about Google Now). When you send feedback through that method it helps us gather all these sorts of reports in one place, as well as some data useful for us to diagnose issues such as this.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Am I correct in assuming the message larryhut posted is from the people at Google?

That would be great news, if it was.

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I just received a Google+ update. But nothing has fixed our speaking to text problem. Thus, moments ago I submitted the following on the HTC/Google site:

I own an HTC Raider 4G. My service provider here in Canada is Bell Mobility. There is a continuing problem with the functionality of Google speech to text and I am finding it is making me crazy. Basically, one dictated sentence or phrase overwrites the previously dictated materials. I have spoken with Bell Mobility, they acknowledge the problem; likewise, so do HTC's CSRs, when I phoned or wrote.

But it is now going on three weeks without a fix. And no communication from HTC/Google about the problem.

In fact, we have set up an entire support group forum for all of us encountering this problem. You can find the group here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...text-not-working-correctly-3.html#post3040140

Please respond to the forum and let us know when we can expect a resolution to the problem described there. I would like to continue to be a supporter of Google and HTC.

RL

Last edited:

Margaret Newey

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It is SO frustrating. Stupid thing is that when I get mad and scream "GRRR WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS" it gets that phrase perfectly! lol (I gotta laugh before I cry).
Until just about 7-10 days ago it worked wonderfully. It was my practice to 'talk' a whole email to my mum, save it as a draft, then edit it for grammar, etc. later on the PC.
Now it is totally unusable.

I haven't seen any updates happen, nor have I downloaded anything new that might have upset it.

I hope they fix it soon, it is making me want to move to apple . . . . . :(

Thanks Hi5 - except that I can't think that quick! I use it for dictating emails to my mum so I don't always know what I will say next!
Seriously though, thanks for the tip about stopping and starting, frustrating though it will be, it may still be quicker than fighting with auto correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali