Why Samsung Didn't Go with a Metal Case

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I have the HTC One on preorder, but last year I tested the S3 and had no problems with its build quality. The plastic back was fine with me. The phone felt solid in the hand.

I would probably buy the HTC One as well just because i'd like to play with the BoomSound features and see what I like about the camera. I just sound like i'm more on the Samsung side of the fence because I get sick of stupidity when people spend more time talking and opening their mouth than reading about the materials and educating themselves as Demonic pointed out above.

I don't care what the phone is made out of as long as no features/signal are hindered. Either way my phone's end up in Plastic cases so they can be made out of almost anything for all I care. If I want a solid FEEL, I buy a solid case. Usually I prefer a solid performing device because I can always alter the feel of it afterward.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Me too, but I doubt it'll ever happen unless everyone who says otherwise actually gets educated.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Some people don't like it. Some people especially don't like it when it's cheap and shiny. There's no 'education' necessary.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Me too, but I doubt it'll ever happen unless everyone who says otherwise actually gets educated.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Educated about what? It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.

And it's not like Samsung are even going with a nicer feeling, solid polycarb build like the HTC One X or Lumia line, they just went with really thin, flimsy feeling polycarb plastic.

This whole drop debate imo is pointless as I don't buy phones with the intention of dropping them and don't make decisions on how well a phone can handle drops. If I were concerned about that, I'd put a case over my phone, but I don't because I like the feel of the phone in my hands with minimal bulk/weight added. Every phone can be killed with one drop. Plastic/metal/glass isn't going to save it. And last time I checked, plastic was extremely prone to cracking and chipping over metal. Metal would get scratches and dings, but it's better than chunks chipped off and cracks down the back

Samsung apologists will just use anything to defend Samsung's cheap practices. I like how Samsung haven't even mentioned plastic having an advantage for drops, but the apologists are running it anyway. Samsung themselves said it's so they can manufacture and produce large quantities of the phone. Producing metal phones takes too much time (and would cost more) than just pouring plastic into a mold. That is why Samsung make plastic phones. It's cost and time effective for them. They're not interested in making the absolute best phone they can, it's all down to time/money for them. Best part is the fans will defend any decision they make. Samsung fans have become exactly what they've been so critical of for years - they've become Apple-like fanboys.

procol

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.

Maybe, but for the people living in cold zone, plastic would be better to hold. I live in South Korea and the winter is really cold here. Temperature during winter in Korea is usually lower than those of the other countries on same latitude because of some air mass from Siberia. It was really cold this winter too that my iPhone with a aluminum bumper covering only the side got really cold to hold. So I bought the touch-able gloves and the plastic case covering back of the phone as well. I think that would be possibly one of the reason Samsung adopted the super sensitive screen enabling glove touch in GS4.

Last edited:

Partho Chatterjee

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I thing company much more conscious about their look.Rather than body it will depend on mobile body and look on the basis of that they decide body should be metallic or not

SNAFU

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, from my Perspective.

HTC One

• Nice Looking
  • 4UP Camera

And that is where my pluses on it end

Samsung Galaxy S4
  • Removable Battery (Major Selling Point for me)
  • SD Card Expansion (Major Selling Point for me)
  • 5" Screen
    (which in Phill's Comparison Video to the One the S4 Screen Looked like it was a Lot Sharper and had more Vibrant Color)
  • Still Looks Nice
  • Decent Camera
  • Android 4.2.2
  • Comes in more than one color.
  • Its Software has left just about everyone in the dust by the looks of it
  • And Polycarbonate is stronger than the likely super thin Aluminum that the One will Be Using...
    (Besides, all you need to change the look/feel of it is put a case on it)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Educated about what? It feels cheap and doesn't feel good when I hold it, so I much prefer a metal build over plastic builds.

And it's not like Samsung are even going with a nicer feeling, solid polycarb build like the HTC One X or Lumia line, they just went with really thin, flimsy feeling polycarb plastic.

This whole drop debate imo is pointless as I don't buy phones with the intention of dropping them and don't make decisions on how well a phone can handle drops. If I were concerned about that, I'd put a case over my phone, but I don't because I like the feel of the phone in my hands with minimal bulk/weight added. Every phone can be killed with one drop. Plastic/metal/glass isn't going to save it. And last time I checked, plastic was extremely prone to cracking and chipping over metal. Metal would get scratches and dings, but it's better than chunks chipped off and cracks down the back

Samsung apologists will just use anything to defend Samsung's cheap practices. I like how Samsung haven't even mentioned plastic having an advantage for drops, but the apologists are running it anyway. Samsung themselves said it's so they can manufacture and produce large quantities of the phone. Producing metal phones takes too much time (and would cost more) than just pouring plastic into a mold. That is why Samsung make plastic phones. It's cost and time effective for them. They're not interested in making the absolute best phone they can, it's all down to time/money for them. Best part is the fans will defend any decision they make. Samsung fans have become exactly what they've been so critical of for years - they've become Apple-like fanboys.

When your post starts with "educated about what?" just assume we're talking about you at that point.

And if you go back and read in detail you will see that the education comment is about plastics vs metal in general and not the specific implementation as it pertains to the s4 and one. This same argument shows up in many other industries although unfortunately uneducated consumers have a very high impact in the mobile phone industry.

Sent from my Note 2

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
When your post starts with "educated about what?" just assume we're talking about you at that point.

Yeah, what he said.

It has been discusses in this thread and others. Various physical properties of many different "plastics" and metals, along with varous manufacturing methods, steps required, costs, design considerations, etc.

You cannot say a "plastic" back is cheap, as a blanket statement, without looking ignorant. Unless you have procurement pricing data, or have a pretty good understanding of the actual source material, design features, casting methods, machine setups and operations, finishing techniques, etc. of a particular part.

Whether or not a particular aluminum part is better, and/or more expensive, than a particular "plastic" part is likewise subject those and other criteria or factors relating to their design and what duty they will be subjected to.

Now I'm perfectly okay with you saying it "feels" cheap. That's obviously a personal opinion and I can make no argument against it. But it is at least in part driven by your preconceived notions.

I happen to like the HTC One because of the aluminum design. I love the look, and have read that it feels very rigid/solid. But those qualities are in the asthetic/ergonomic category. I've no doubt that it is a thin and flimsy part, made to feel better both through the fact that it is curved and the fact that it is glued to the more rigid and tightly packed innards of the phone. Just because I like it subjectively is not a legitimate reason to claim Samsung's parts are cheap or inferior.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

About plastic. There are many kinds of plastic, and some are quite good. Samsung uses one of the better kinds in its phones, it might still feel cheap especially if you're used to having phones made of metal but it's only that, a feeling. It's actually much more durable and better quality than most people realize.

Now you know.

P.S Also, I wouldn't pretend that Samsung fans are the only ones that feel the need to defend every decision they make if I were you, HTC fans are just as bad, and every other brand has people that are so blind they'll worship the products they have.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
About plastic. There are many kinds of plastic, and some are quite good. Samsung uses one of the better kinds in its phones, it might still feel cheap especially if you're used to having phones made of metal but it's only that, a feeling. It's actually much more durable and better quality than most people realize.

Now you know.

P.S Also, I wouldn't pretend that Samsung fans are the only ones that feel the need to defend every decision they make if I were you, HTC fans are just as bad, and every other brand has people that are so blind they'll worship the products they have.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

I already stated in my post there are great plastic built phones - HTC One X and Lumia lines being great examples. This whole thread isn't about what materials feel good in the hand or what materials would elevate the overall impression/experience of the phone, it's boiled down to Samsung fans defending Samsung's plastic as an argument for being better when dropping the phone.

The point is every phone can become useless with one drop. The plastic on Samsung phones won't save it, nor will a metal in another phone. If you're that paranoid about dropping the phone, buy cases/covers or wrap the thing in bubble wrap - then it won't matter what it's made of.

I personally don't use a case, so I want a great feeling device that I'm paying hundreds of dollars for. Samsung charging premium prices, for a non-premium phone to me is a bit insulting to its consumers. Other phone manufacturers don't have anywhere near the cash to splash around that Samsung have, yet it appears that they're putting in the effort to make not only aesthetically pleasing phones (which I also think Samsung lacks in), but phones with great build materials that will feel great in the hand. Apple have always gotten crap for charging exuberant prices for their phones, but they're the gold standard in build design and quality. You're at least getting a premium product if you buy one.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I already stated in my post there are great plastic built phones - HTC One X and Lumia lines being great examples. This whole thread isn't about what materials feel good in the hand or what materials would elevate the overall impression/experience of the phone, it's boiled down to Samsung fans defending Samsung's plastic as an argument for being better when dropping the phone.

The point is every phone can become useless with one drop. The plastic on Samsung phones won't save it, nor will a metal in another phone. If you're that paranoid about dropping the phone, buy cases/covers or wrap the thing in bubble wrap - then it won't matter what it's made of.

I personally don't use a case, so I want a great feeling device that I'm paying hundreds of dollars for. Samsung charging premium prices, for a non-premium phone to me is a bit insulting to its consumers. Other phone manufacturers don't have anywhere near the cash to splash around that Samsung have, yet it appears that they're putting in the effort to make not only aesthetically pleasing phones (which I also think Samsung lacks in), but phones with great build materials that will feel great in the hand. Apple have always gotten crap for charging exuberant prices for their phones, but they're the gold standard in build design and quality. You're at least getting a premium product if you buy one.

The galaxy s series IS a premium phone.

What's on the inside is so much more important than what's on the outside.

What other phone matches the specs on the S4?

And if you're smart, you're going to protect a 600+ $ investment so it would be in a case anyway and that case is made of of plastic. So why is plastic protecting metal? Hmm?

Drops happen, through the users fault, through another person's fault, sometimes through no fault of anyone, a wise man packs his phone in a case to protect against that, the foolish man would rather risk it and just end up spending more in the event of a drop.

With a phone like the one, a beautiful phone that it is, denting so easily and being so hard to fix a case should be standard

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't get the argument at all either. I was trying to read through all the responses. But did anyone talk about aluminum's ability to transfer heat? Given the phones can get pretty hot, I've always been curious how aluminum would handle this. It is my understanding that aluminum conducts heat very well, so much that it's a common alloy used in most radiators in cars and such. Perhaps this is good for the components inside the phone to stay cool?

It's the only function of aluminum that I can see worthwhile as a phone case. But then again, I'm no metallurgist or anything--so if anyone can expand on this, it would be much appreciated.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I pre ordered the HTC one but the specs of the galaxy are great. It's a great phone and being considered the best depends on what your personal expectations and needs are. I was hoping that the look of the s4 would of been different anything other than the identical look of the s3 and note 2.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The galaxy s series IS a premium phone.

What's on the inside is so much more important than what's on the outside.

What other phone matches the specs on the S4?

And if you're smart, you're going to protect a 600+ $ investment so it would be in a case anyway and that case is made of of plastic. So why is plastic protecting metal? Hmm?

Drops happen, through the users fault, through another person's fault, sometimes through no fault of anyone, a wise man packs his phone in a case to protect against that, the foolish man would rather risk it and just end up spending more in the event of a drop.

With a phone like the one, a beautiful phone that it is, denting so easily and being so hard to fix a case should be standard

Haven't used a case in years and haven't broken or severely damaged a phone in years. I did take an iPhone swimming once :-(...

Anyways now a days I get some kind of insurance or protection plan for my $600+ phone because even a case can only do so much. And I definitely prefer the feeling of a bare phone over a bulky case.

So don't act like your argument is the only right answer.

Sent from my Note 2

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I pre ordered the HTC one but the specs of the galaxy are great. It's a great phone and being considered the best depends on what your personal expectations and needs are. I was hoping that the look of the s4 would of been different anything other than the identical look of the s3 and note 2.

When I first saw the s4 with its large screen and minimal bezel my first thought was we're finally seeing the phone that we always see in concept drawings and renders. I know as an old apple user every time a new iPhone was on the horizon someone would leak a drawing that looked a lot like the s4 from the front and say that's how the next iphone will look. The "edge to edge" design is something that's been talked about for quite sometime.

So for better or worse I think this will be the design of the future and I suspect you will see this mimicked by other manufacturers in the future.

Sent from my Note 2

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Haven't used a case in years and haven't broken or severely damaged a phone in years. I did take an iPhone swimming once :-(...

Anyways now a days I get some kind of insurance or protection plan for my $600+ phone because even a case can only do so much. And I definitely prefer the feeling of a bare phone over a bulky case.

So don't act like your argument is the only right answer.

Sent from my Note 2

A good case 30-50
An insurance deductible : 70-170

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
A good case 30-50
An insurance deductible : 70-170

A good case and a broken screen = a waisted 30-50 and a new phone. Not to mention having to have your phone in a case all the time...

With a protection plan you get no hassle returns and peace of mind.

The whole point is some people really don't like cases and there are options. It's not your way or the highway. No need to just post things like "a smart man does whatever it is that I do..."

Sent from my Note 2