widgetlocker killing battery

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I had Widgetlocker installed from Day 1 on my Bionic. I have the extended battery and was barely getting 8-10 hours of battery life, and the screen was not on very much at all during that time. The only things showing up in the battery screen were Cell Standby, Phone Idle, and Bluetooth (when I had it on). I was also having an issue where my phone would stay hot and continue to drain battery very quickly after using the Mobile Hotspot, even after turning it off. Only a reboot of the phone would cool the phone off and stop the huge battery drain.

However, ALL of that was solved by disabling Widgetlocker. I didn't even uninstall it yet, just disabled it in its own menu. For the past 3 days, my battery life has gone up by 30-40% under exactly the same conditions. I work an 8-hour shift and my battery would normally be down to 5-20% by the end of my shift just by having the phone in my pocket listening to podcasts/music via Bluetooth (local playback, not network). With Widgetlocker disabled, I'm now staying near 50% at the end of my shift!

I hate to blame Widgetlocker, but it's the only variable that changed. I noticed the difference right away after disabling it because my phone was noticeably cooler (except when actually running the Mobile Hotspot). I'm thinking about re-enabling Widgetlocker just to make sure, but I don't want to ruin a good thing! lol

Btw, the only things I had on the Widgetlocker screen are Beautiful Widgets clock/weather, a custom slider, and a few icon shortcuts. I even had background data disabled after 15 minutes, but my phone would rarely go to sleep with Widgetlocker running. Now my phone easily goes to sleep and stays cool. Not sure why....

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ah man....Widget Locker is one of my fav apps...I dont have a Bionic yet, but this is interesting news.

I would hate to have to give it up for better battery life.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It does suck to give it up, but I'm hoping it will only be temporary. With any luck an update to widget locker can fix it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Widgetlocker is not killing all of our batteries though... it works great on my bionic and a few other people who have posted in this thread too (I have no widgets, only sliders). I do have widgetsoid widgets on my normal screen though, and also using Launcher Pro + the stock security thing. Maybe you guys should try uninstallling your widgets and see if you still have the problem; or the combo of the unlocker + launcher?. On my extended battery, I am at 21h35m and only 50% battery life (4G/GPS on, auto brightness).

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to see responses - those of you who are getting major battery drain (like me) are you using any widgets on your lock screen?

I Currently have 4 (x2) sliders and a weather/clock widget. I'm going to flip off the weather/clock and see if that helps.

anon(194966)

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I had it installed with a custom slider, text calendar widget and a clock widget.... once I froze WidgetLocker, my extended Battery lasts the whole day... today was the first day I was able to use Pandora on the train, not plug it in at the office, and Hulu on the train home... got home it was at 15% or so.

Previously, it'd be in the 20% area around lunch time

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
ohai Simon...

initial test this morning results - turned off widgetlocker and yes my battery life is better.

Same here, it also quit running as hot. I can't figure out why it would cause such a problem, but it is better without it. When I switch the phone to CDMA only, if I'm not dling, browsing or streaming something, or I'm out of 4G area, the battery life is really nice.

Jbairdjr

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I also had the problem with Widget Locker.
I really like the program but it was killing my battery after a few hours.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you with battery drains using Widget Locker also checked the running apps list (Settings > Manage Apps > Running)? You might be able to pinpoint a specific problem with WL.

I checked Running Apps today for the first time and deleted a number of widgets that, just look at them, seemed just to be "there", but were actually draining the battery in the background. Put shortcuts on the screen instead. Had Beautiful Weather and WeatherBug Elite running - deleted WB Elite.

Also, I was really surprised to see some APPS running in the background were apps I rarely use. Discovered Photobucket running, although I have never used it! Deleted that, too (I have DropBox). Slacker also running in background and never used - but can't delete that, thanks to Vz. And the Sticky Note I had minimized on one home screen was also using the battery. Deleted that.

Even though I have the extended battery, I'm trying to maximize the stock battery because I want to have a nice case on my Bionic. With these changes, there seems to be a noticable battery life improvement.

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I had a response from widget locker to try some diagnostics.

I got the app better battery stats, that monitors wake locks. What happens is with widget locker enabled, the two location services hold the phone awake for hours. If I turn off network location and google location, then the phone gets the same good battery life with widget locker enabled. However, I do not like this solution because a lot of apps and things I do use network location.

With widget locker and network location on, the phone would be awake 5 times or more the amount of screen on time. So if I used the phone for 20 minutes (screen on), it would wind up being awake for 2 hours and 50 minutes (just the last stat I remember off the top of my head). As stated before, it was the network location services holding it awake, but *ONLY* with widget locker enabled.

They claimed it can not be their software, but it has to be. When the only thing different is enabling and disabling widget locker, it *must* be causing the problem. Sure, widget locker its self is not using the battery, but clearly it doesn't play nice with something on the bionic.

Reactions: Simonbarsinistr

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
On what I have seen about the new update, no mention of bionic bugs were mentioned. I might have to try it out to see if it has changed anything.

kaichele1

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
i too am having the battery problem would only last for 8 hours on extended battery uninstalled widget locker will see if that works i hope it does :)

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
After 24 hours on the updated widget locker I think the problem is fixed.

Using better battery stats, I can see that the network location service that was keeping my phone awake for hours is now back to normal.

nocaldawg

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Where do I find the app Better Battery Stats? I used this search term in the market and could not find it.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
the recent update fixed the Bionic's Battery Life...

<3 ICS LockScreen

Agreed! Plus with their clock I now am not using bw as the lock screen clock. The only widget I'm running on it is the circle battery widget. So far it hasn't been a problem.

Joe92GT

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Where do I find the app Better Battery Stats? I used this search term in the market and could not find it.

The app name from the store is betterbatterystats, no space. I'm not sure if this is the best app out there for what it does, but it is what teslacoil software had me download to check what the draw was.

Link to the app development page: [APP] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Gingerbread - xda-developers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74