Widgets aren't appearing in the list. How do I fix this?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Downloaded widgets do not appear in the list of widgets.

It's a new phone, with only a short list of widgets.

It's possible the issue is whether the app is loaded to internal or external memory.
A number of widgets downloaded before I installed the SD card appear and are working, while just downloaded 'Quotes' and 'Google Lens' widgets are nowhere to be found. When first setting up the phone I installed a number of apps and they included widgets that work just fine.

I've restarted numerous times after installing the missing widgets, and have deleted the apps/widgets several times and reinstalled without solving the issue.

Both the Lens and Quotes apps work as intended, yet the associated widget is missing.

Phone:
moto x4, IMEI [redacted by Mod] = ODI Device MOTOROLA MOBILITY XT1900-01

Android 9 with the latest patch (April)

Can I direct widgets and apps to save to internal memory (without pulling the SD card)?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 6, 2019
Visit site
I noted, "Both the Lens and Quotes apps work as intended, yet the associated widget is missing."
To see if it was a storage location issue:

1) uninstalled Quotes
2) ejected the SD card (eject confirmed, but did not physically remove the card)
3) reinstalled Quotes, widget did not appear
4) rebooted, widget did not appear.

The app is working, and would have had to download to internal storage. However, the widget is not in the widget list. A number of other widgets are installed, appear in the list, and work just fine. The developer is trying to help but the issue remains a mystery.

So, this may not be a storage location issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. It's been known since early days (and Google used to issue a warning with every new version) that widgets won't run from the SD card.

2. If the developer can't figure out why t's not working, and he has the source for the widget, we don't stand a chance of determining the problem (without the source).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using the stock launcher, or a 3rd party one? 3rd party launchers aren't always compatible with certain widgets.

Also, I redacted your IMEI from your OP -- that can be somewhat sensitive info, so it's best to keep that private.

May 6, 2019
Visit site
we don't stand a chance
Thanks for your answers and for trying to help!

The issue is not with a single app, so there's the possibility others have seen this issue with another widget, yet the fix could be the same.

I remain hopeful. :)

The Quotes developer has been sincere in his efforts to help resolve this, yet the solution may be beyond his abilities, yet not the abilities of others.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019
Visit site
Solved! The issue was with the stock moto launcher that came installed. I installed Nova Launcher and it solved the issue with the missing widget and another problem with screen size being unstable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad Nova works well for you! Although if you still want to use the stock launcher, try going to Settings>Apps, tapping Menu>Show System, selecting the stock launcher app (I'm not sure exactly what it's called on your phone), and clear its cache/data. This will wipe the homescreens clean on the stock launcher, meaning you'll have to set them back up -- but it might make the widget accessible again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332