MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm totally new to Android and Widgets. Is there any way to search Google Play for just Widgets?
Is there any way to turn an App into a Widget?

For example, I have Google News, but I would like to replace the Yahoo News Widget with Google News.

Thanks!

MantisToboggan

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys!
Google Play>Apps>Categories>Widgets.
I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work correctly. For example, under the Top Free widgets IMDB is listed as #12. But IMDB doesn't have a widget, it's just an app. I've noticed that with many (if not most) of them listed under Widgets.
Well, you can certainly remove the Yahoo News widget (Just long-press on it and drag it to the trash bin).

I'm not sure which Google News app you're using, but if the app has a widget, you can use it (to find out, long press in an empty area, choose "Widgets" then see if it shows up in the list).

You can't really turn an app that doesn't have widgets into a widget.

As for searching Play for just widgets, I don't think you can (short of searching for the word "Widget"). It'd be nice if they added a filter option to only show apps that have widgets with them.

I removed the Yahoo Widget. When trying to replace it, I found it to be a pain in the butt because most of the news apps don't say whether they come with a Widget or not. I had to download and install them to see if there was an included widget.

Everything seems so intelligent and intuitive on Android, so I am surprised that apps don't have a clear specification whether they have a widget or not.

I'm learning, tho. And I am definitely liking Android.