WiFi Calling disabled on unlocked Note 9 (T-Mobile)

gabru

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
Prior to purchasing the unlocked Note 9, I read here that there weren't any issues with WiFi calling for the unlocked Note 9 on T-Mobile. So then I bought it for a local retailer because T-mobile didn't carry the Silver color. Wrong move.

Now I'm stuck with two choices –

1. Return the phone, pay the 30% restocking fee and purchase from T-Mobile

2. Keep the phone, miss a lot of calls, and spend a lot of time doing the "can you hear me now?"

Is there a third choice?

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Maybe choosing the T-Mobile CSC if it’s not already?
No clue if that’ll work, though. (And it factory resets the phone).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
WiFi calling does work on the unlocked Note 9 on T-Mobile. I have an unlocked AT&T Note 9 that I loaded the unlocked firmware onto and am using it on T-Mobile. I get WiFi calling on it as well as all T-Mobile features. Have you gone into the phone app settings to insure that WiFi calling is actually set to on? Also, try restarting the phone and then go into the phone app settings and check to make sure WiFi calling is set to on.

Cletis169_1

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
My unlocked Note 9 WiFi calling works without issue on T-Mobile. The setting for it is in the phone app under settings and WiFi calling.
bff88b1b3126fe85562ee2705bc3db74.jpg

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Been working for me since day 1. Also worked on my unlocked Note 8 on Tmobile.

Sorry to hear you're having complications outside of USA or on Metro.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Prior to purchasing the unlocked Note 9, I read here that there weren't any issues with WiFi calling for the unlocked Note 9 on T-Mobile. So then I bought it for a local retailer because T-mobile didn't carry the Silver color. Wrong move.

Now I'm stuck with two choices –

1. Return the phone, pay the 30% restocking fee and purchase from T-Mobile

2. Keep the phone, miss a lot of calls, and spend a lot of time doing the "can you hear me now?"

Is there a third choice?
30% restocking fee?!?!?! Who charges that ridiculous amount? I hope you mean $30.

I would bite the bullet and return the device. I'm on at&t and need wifi calling on my phone or I'm in the same situation as you. Last year I got the essential phone (which I loved), but I had to stop using it as my daily driver because I was missing to many phone calls.

gabru

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
I hear you Fernandez! I honestly would have settled for another color, but other T-Mobile users reported it was working fine so I wasn't expecting issues.

If nothing else, I'll just jump on a carrier phone. The silver looks so nice – T-Mobile decided to leave out the best color.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Rather then returning the phone and paying a restocking fee, you can try loading the T-Mobile firmware onto that phone. Guarantee all the T-Mobile features will work.

There are only a few preinstalled T-Mobile apps on that firmware and you will have the T-Mobile boot up screen but everything will work.

gabru

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
I'll take your suggestion! Would you be able to link me to some instructions that would show me how that can be done?

Much appreciated!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll take your suggestion! Would you be able to link me to some instructions that would show me how that can be done?

Much appreciated!

Just search Google for xda note 9. In one of the note 9 forums you will see best the top, a thread with downloads for every carriers firmware. You flash the firmware with an app called Odin. It's pretty simple really but you should read up on how to use Odin and how you flash the phone before doing so.

I would post the link here but I'm not sure the moderators will allow it.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
kinda risky reflashing a new phone, no? Making decision based on forum hasn't been kind. Though an unlocked Note 9 on Tmobile should definitely have wifi calling feature. at least on post paid plan - not sure about prepaid. Not sure which you have, you haven't posted much detail.

gabru

Nov 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm not aware of the risk. I'm assuming that if the phone gets messed up, then I could just reset it again, return it and buy a new one from the carrier.

As for the phone, I paid in full for an unlocked Note 9 from Best Buy. I've been a T-Mobile customer for over a decade – it's not a prepaid plan.

What's confusing is why it would work for some people and not others. I literally don't have some of the options on my phone that people have mentioned (you can check out the screenshots as well).

Thank you

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not aware of the risk. I'm assuming that if the phone gets messed up, then I could just reset it again, return it and buy a new one from the carrier.

As for the phone, I paid in full for an unlocked Note 9 from Best Buy. I've been a T-Mobile customer for over a decade – it's not a prepaid plan.

What's confusing is why it would work for some people and not others. I literally don't have some of the options on my phone that people have mentioned (you can check out the screenshots as well).

Thank you

Yes, I can see how that could cause frustration. But IMHO and first hand experience it should work without having to do anything risky. It may be best to simply get an exchange from Best Buy and try again. Missing/broken features is justification for exchange IMO.

If I recall correctly each time I installed my Tmobile sim into either my unlocked Note 8 or Note 9 each would immediately download something from the Tmobile network. I assumed these were network specific parameters and settings etc. Perhaps yours didn't correctly download those parameters the first time. IDK.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted out, the problem seems strange.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
No problem – I'll figure it out. Thanks again for your help!
Have you tried contacting T-mobile or going to the store? Sometimes they have to update your account with your new IMEI for all the features to work. Or replace your SIM if it's really old.