WiFi Calling disabled on unlocked Note 9 (T-Mobile)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
kinda risky reflashing a new phone, no? Making decision based on forum hasn't been kind. Though an unlocked Note 9 on Tmobile should definitely have wifi calling feature. at least on post paid plan - not sure about prepaid. Not sure which you have, you haven't posted much detail.

There's a slight risk of doing this but it's very small. I've been doing this kind of thing with phones since the Note 4 and in all that time, I've never bricked a phone. I once 100% formatted a phone so that even the OS was erased and I kind of panicked. I put the phone away for a day and the next day, I was able to think about what I had to do to get the phone up and running again and I did.

Odin really makes it easy to flash another carriers firmware onto the phone and it does not void the warranty doing so.

Shirino

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
Prior to purchasing the unlocked Note 9, I read here that there weren't any issues with WiFi calling for the unlocked Note 9 on T-Mobile. So then I bought it for a local retailer because T-mobile didn't carry the Silver color. Wrong move.

Now I'm stuck with two choices –

1. Return the phone, pay the 30% restocking fee and purchase from T-Mobile

2. Keep the phone, miss a lot of calls, and spend a lot of time doing the "can you hear me now?"

Is there a third choice?

I have the same exact issue.
However, the Wi-fi calling was working great for the first 3 weeks but then I disabled it for a week or so and now the Wi-Fi calling just dissapeared from the menu.

I bought an unlock phoe from BestBuy...

Chi Liu

Mar 13, 2019
Visit site
I am not very good with the cell phone technology but just doing some research before buying a Note 9. I am about to buy a factory unlocked Note 9 from Samsung's website. I found out from Amazon's reviews that Samsung disabled wifi calling to force you to buy the unlocked phone from the Carrier instead. Not sure if that's correct but there are many Amazon reviewers mentioned the same issue with Note 9 or S 9 phones. They keep saying that video calling and wifi calling were not working. Some were able to get it to work once they activated with carrier's SIM card. Some even tried different carriers. It looks like it all depends on the carrier. Some mentioned once activated the phone downloaded all the features from the carrier.

Amazon reviews:

Q: Anybody else not get wifi-calling available in the settings?
A: Samsung factory unlocked devices are not compatible with wifi calling only carrier unlocked phone work for wifi calling.

I was really nervous about ordering this phone after reading the reviews, but after receiving it, I'm so glad I ordered from Amazon. I didn't order from a third party seller. The phone came packaged in a huge box surrounded by air pockets plastic. Everything was sealed and looked brand new. Still, the first thing I did was contact Samsung to verify that this was a new phone with a valid 1 yr warranty. They assured me that it was indeed new and had a 1 year manufacturers warranty. When I tried signing up for prepaid service, the IMEI number only worked with Verizon. After chatting with the sales reps online, he assured me that wifi calling would work. I was doubtful after reading multiple reviews online, but figured I'd it didn't, I could go with T-Mobile next month. I called Samsung again after signing up with Verizon and the rep at Samsung said my phone was unlocked & would have worked with any carrier. Yesterday, when I got my Verizon Sim card & put it in, no wifi calling. I checked again in a couple minutes & boom! I had all kinds of features that weren't in my phone before including wifi calling and HD calling. So happy with this phone. It's lightening fast, the screen is brilliantly beautiful & the pics it takes are unmatched. Plus, no unnecessary apps that I had on my Galaxy S7 Edge from AT&T. Love this phone.