WIFI Connections

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having issues connecting to your home WIFI with the Verizon LG G2? I can't fathom it being a router problem, nor poor connection problem as all of my other WIFI devices are humming along just fine.

The G2 seems to cycle through the connection process. By this, I mean I watch it in the WIFI settings section to see it search. It will go through ?connecting?, ?obtaining the IP?, ?saved, secured? then seems to repeat. Not sure if it connected a few times or not, but I've seen the ?avoided poor connection? message under my WIFI network before.

Only Android device in the house. My laptops, receivers, tablets and iOS devices are all up and running.

Security on the house router is WPA/WPA2 PSK I think. On open WIFI, I get on without a hindrance.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues at all here. In fact sometimes I forget that I have my wifi on outside of the house and it immediately notifies me of wifi networks available whenever I come close to one. I had the Galaxy Nexus before and with the 4.2.2 update I had major issues with it either not showing that wifi was connected, it wouldn't connect at all, or it wouldn't even pick up available networks.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having issues connecting to your home WIFI with the Verizon LG G2? I can't fathom it being a router problem, nor poor connection problem as all of my other WIFI devices are humming along just fine.

The G2 seems to cycle through the connection process. By this, I mean I watch it in the WIFI settings section to see it search. It will go through ?connecting?, ?obtaining the IP?, ?saved, secured? then seems to repeat. Not sure if it connected a few times or not, but I've seen the ?avoided poor connection? message under my WIFI network before.

Only Android device in the house. My laptops, receivers, tablets and iOS devices are all up and running.

Security on the house router is WPA/WPA2 PSK I think. On open WIFI, I get on without a hindrance.

Many many people have had this issue with our G2 and the Samsung's... Go into your router setting and check if there is a firmware update available..That has fixed just about everyone. I also changed my channel from 6 to 11 and have not had any issues since.

unarmedwoody

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I usually unplug in, let it chill for about 20 seconds and let it fire back up (I consider that rebooting).

Logged into the 2wire, forced the reboot that way and got a software update. Back online, LG working now.

Sometimes I find that my ignorance is bliss.

Kris Nelson

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I usually unplug in, let it chill for about 20 seconds and let it fire back up (I consider that rebooting).

Logged into the 2wire, forced the reboot that way and got a software update. Back online, LG working now.

Sometimes I find that my ignorance is bliss.

Glad it was the update.....

Posted via Android Central App

Derek712

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

There have been some really good responses here. If none of the suggested works, please feel free to reach out to our mobile support for more troubleshooting at 1-800-793-8896. Or you may visit our website for assistance:

LG Support USA: Customer Service and Technical Support | LG USA
^CL

What a joke. I tried calling them twice. First time I got disconnected and the second they told me it was because my router had more than 5 devices connected. So I guess my phone can't get wifi because I have 7 devices on it? lol I told the CSR my router supported 50 devices and he told me I was wrong and there's no router on the market that supported more than 5. That ended my confidence right there... So I'm still stuck. I've tried two routers at home and 5 different locations and never got it to connect to Wifi. The ONLY way I can get it to connect is to turn off my 3G/4G connection. If I can't figure it out soon, I'll try resetting the phone to factory conditions. This kind of stuff shouldn't happen...

Hunan

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Change security to wpa2 only. I find that some devices have problems connecting to certain routers that are set for wpa/wpa2.

Posted via Android Central App

Erick Brassfield

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the LG G2, although it is on AT&T, I have the same issue. It would associate however no data packets would go through. I found the fix is to disable WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) on your router. I have never used it for any devices and for some reason maybe the G2 wants to connect that way, so simple disable WPS and reboot router was all that was necessary (firmware was already up to date anyway). ;)

agentrnge

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. I have the AT&T LG G2 for the record. Connecting to two different WIFI routers ( My own Linksys E3200 4 feet from the phone) and the FIOS provided Actiontec. ) Both connections were listed as "avoiding poor connection". The strange thing is, it -was- connecting to my wifi, but not displaying it as so. I opened up an MPD client that connects to an MPD on my local network, not accessible unless on the wifi local net. It was working OK. Other apps, like speedtest for example would still use the cell network.

Anyway. My fix. I toggled Airplane mode, then turned wifi on. That seemed to do it. Below is the steps that -should- have worked but didnt as well as more details about what eventually did the trick.

Previously, I first tried disabling the "Avoid Poor Connecitons" and "Check Internet Availability" and even "Wi-Fi Optimizations" no effect.
Toggled WIfi. No effect
Rebooted phone. No effect
Turned off phone for a minute, booted up. No effect
Rebooted Router. No effect. I'll again mention the problem was happening on both of my WIFI connections at the same time out of the blue. So I knew it wasn't the router anyway.
Forgot Network / Re-added the connection. No effect.
For the heck of it I changed my router from Mixed to N only mode on the 5 Ghz connection. No effect.

Then lastly I put the phone into airplane mode. Then turned on WIFI (still in airplane mode) it started coming up and connected to my WIFI. I then turned airplane mode off. I have both (WIFI and 4G) connections working again at this point.

To be thorough I returned my router settings back to the way they were. Wifi connection is still working on the phone.

To be more thorough. I re-enabled the "Avoid poor connection" and "Check Internet Avail" and "Wifi Optimization" settings on the phone. It still working. Airplaine mode toggle seemed to reset whatever derpiness had occurred. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
Dan

Edit: One takeaway. If your WIfi has been working for months and then stops. Chances are its not your router setup. Dont rush to change a mess of settings and mess up the rest of your network. Especially if its still working for every other device. There are lots of suggestions to overhaul your network. In reality your phone just flaked out and needs several kicks in the pants to be not-stupid-ified.

Jordy j-town

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me. Brilliant post. This post needs to front page. Upvote!!

I had the same issue. I have the AT&T LG G2 for the record. Connecting to two different WIFI routers ( My own Linksys E3200 4 feet from the phone) and the FIOS provided Actiontec. ) Both connections were listed as "avoiding poor connection". The strange thing is, it -was- connecting to my wifi, but not displaying it as so. I opened up an MPD client that connects to an MPD on my local network, not accessible unless on the wifi local net. It was working OK. Other apps, like speedtest for example would still use the cell network.

Anyway. My fix. I toggled Airplane mode, then turned wifi on. That seemed to do it. Below is the steps that -should- have worked but didnt as well as more details about what eventually did the trick.

Previously, I first tried disabling the "Avoid Poor Connecitons" and "Check Internet Availability" and even "Wi-Fi Optimizations" no effect.
Toggled WIfi. No effect
Rebooted phone. No effect
Turned off phone for a minute, booted up. No effect
Rebooted Router. No effect. I'll again mention the problem was happening on both of my WIFI connections at the same time out of the blue. So I knew it wasn't the router anyway.
Forgot Network / Re-added the connection. No effect.
For the heck of it I changed my router from Mixed to N only mode on the 5 Ghz connection. No effect.

Then lastly I put the phone into airplane mode. Then turned on WIFI (still in airplane mode) it started coming up and connected to my WIFI. I then turned airplane mode off. I have both (WIFI and 4G) connections working again at this point.

To be thorough I returned my router settings back to the way they were. Wifi connection is still working on the phone.

To be more thorough. I re-enabled the "Avoid poor connection" and "Check Internet Avail" and "Wifi Optimization" settings on the phone. It still working. Airplaine mode toggle seemed to reset whatever derpiness had occurred. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers,
Dan

Edit: One takeaway. If your WIfi has been working for months and then stops. Chances are its not your router setup. Dont rush to change a mess of settings and mess up the rest of your network. Especially if its still working for every other device. There are lots of suggestions to overhaul your network. In reality your phone just flaked out and needs several kicks in the pants to be not-stupid-ified.

Pedro Pinoy

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
just wasted 2 hours searching until i found this line: under data/misc/dhcp

I found that deleting the contents of /data/misc/dhcp and then restart your device would cleared the issue.

I hope this helps someone

thanks

bookit

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
The quickest fix in my house has been to go to the device "Settings" and turn off the wifi. Wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and most devices will quickly connect. A simple fix, but it took me a long time to figure it out. Good luck!

zost

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I had same problem on my Sony Xperia Z Ultra with a custom ROM.

Playing with "Settings" and "Avoid poor connections" didnot help, as well as Wifi Off-On switching.

Wifi Connection Fixer 1.0 (free, not donate version) from Zextr did the job.

Hous3

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
After rooting my LGL33L, I lost the option to disable "avoid poor wifi connections". Zextr did the trick. Thank you so much.