T-Mobile Galaxy S8 Wifi Stability Issues on the S8

Jacy Hung

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I have my Galaxy S8 on hand since the 19th of April, and so far have had a total of 2 issues, one of which being the red tint issue.

There's this other issue that I just stumbled across, and it's bothering the hell out of me. Sometimes I'd notice that the wifi symbol on the status bar would show an exclamation mark and the wifi would suddenly stop working. All I would do is move my phone a couple inches away and it'll start working again. I can't even watch a YouTube video without suddenly "losing" connection and having to move my phone a bit to resume video playback.

I thought this was weird because my past phones has never had a wifi range issue. I decided to further diagnose the issue.

Not only am I not getting a decent connection to the wifi network, the speeds I'm getting off my wifi network are horrendous! I took a comparison against my old phone, the Nexus 6P, and tried MULTIPLE speedtests (on the same server), all with the same kind of results. Extremely slow speeds on the S8 and faster on the 6P. (See Image Below)

So I'm wondering, am I the only one that has this issue, or are there others out there who are experiencing this as well?

Like seriously, what kind of madness is this? HUGE difference..
(I know 19mbps isn't the slowest but I was actually lucky to achieve that speed, usually it's lower than 10mbps.)

Also, if you look closely at the picture, you can see the wifi symbol in the status bar has the exclamation mark!

DSC01021.jpg

Last edited:

Jacy Hung

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried changing the channel on your router? This could be the issue, especially if on 5GHz

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz gave me the issue. BUT.. I figured it out. On the phone's end, make sure Connections > Wi-Fi > ADVANCED > Hotspot 2.0 is ticked to OFF. It was ticked ON for me, and as soon as I ticked it off, I got 71Mbps down. Luckily it was just a stupid toggle and not some major issue.

Screenshot_20170426-210223.jpgScreenshot_20170426-210214.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it fixed. I was going to say the ! usually means it won't use it (so the speed test would have been LTE or something).

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz gave me the issue. BUT.. I figured it out. On the phone's end, make sure Connections > Wi-Fi > ADVANCED > Hotspot 2.0 is ticked to OFF. It was ticked ON for me, and as soon as I ticked it off, I got 71Mbps down. Luckily it was just a stupid toggle and not some major issue.

View attachment 258371View attachment 258372

More people should be aware of this setting.. IMO it's a security risk for those who value their privacy. Randomly connecting to unknown Wifi's that don't have password protection is never a good idea, and that's basically what it does. I always turn it off.

matty2213

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this very issue, however as you can see, I do not have this option. Mine is an S8+ on EE (U.K), if that has anything to do with it. I've also noticed that when this exclamation bar pops up, it seems to also effect my macbook, but the moment I disconnect my phone from the wifi, the internet on my macbook starts to work again.
I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem with my router as I've never experienced this before on any device.
I'm really unsure of what to do as this is becoming a very bothering issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170430-161721.jpg
    Screenshot_20170430-161721.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 48

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Strange I don't seem to have that setting on my UK phone. WiFi is working well.

Attachments

• 505.jpg
    505.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 112

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this very issue, however as you can see, I do not have this option. Mine is an S8+ on EE (U.K), if that has anything to do with it. I've also noticed that when this exclamation bar pops up, it seems to also effect my macbook, but the moment I disconnect my phone from the wifi, the internet on my macbook starts to work again.
I'm fairly sure this isn't a problem with my router as I've never experienced this before on any device.
I'm really unsure of what to do as this is becoming a very bothering issue.

It might still be a router issue (ish). Some routers seem to have a problem with Samsung radios unless their latest firmware is applied. You can also try changing channels on your network to see if that alleviates the issue.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
After reading this I did a test side by side with my iphone 7plus and S8 and the iPhone constantly had 3-4mbs more down than the S8. I don't have a fast connection, only 30mb down and did not even achieve that on either device but it maybe because my son is on playstation and the router is designed to handle that as priority.

Jacy Hung

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Just wanted to do a quick update on my issue. So it seems that even after ticking off that box"Hotspot 2.0" to off, the issue still remained.

I simply ignored it and didn't look further into the issue until today. I looked at some of my routers settings and reverted everything that I had configured previously to my default settings, and my S8 is getting great signal from the 2.4GHz wifi network (still not getting a good enough connection on the 5GHz band). Wifi speeds are much better than before.

Looks like my S8 just didn't like how I configured my router.

Alec Hanson

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I had not changes any settings until I had this issue. The strange thing is that I have an S8 which works fine but my S8+ doesn't.

So not sure the router issue is the answer for me and not Hotspot 2.0 option

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Been scrolling for a bit now, sure I Posted earlier than this, I have this issue on an S8. But multiple routers in my house, a NetGear and an ActionTech. Really annoying because I am unable to watch anything of significance - that is usually when it crashes.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Been scrolling for a bit now, sure I Posted earlier than this, I have this issue on an S8. But multiple routers in my house, a NetGear and an ActionTech. Really annoying because I am unable to watch anything of significance - that is usually when it crashes.

Same. I use a router and a wall outlet WiFi booster thing (not at home to give you the proper technical name lol).

I set it up to look like one SSID, but it's really two. The hand off between them is not seamless unfortunately. It's the worst on my S8 than any of my other devices to.

alantwm

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Dunno if this helps anyone, but I resolved the wifi issues with my S8+ by changing my router setup from b+g+n to just b+g (no n protocol). Before, my Internet was constantly dropping, particularly on streaming video. Since the router protocol change, I've had no issues.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This has been happening on my S8+, and my Moto Z force. The wife on her s7 and nexus 7. I have reset my router changed settings etc.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I question some things people suggest here. First of all adjusting a router in this case wont work. This wifi connectivity is a known issue along with bluetooth connectivity issues. So making adjustments to your router will do nothing if its happening no matter what wifi you're on. Secondly, I had the same issue with wifi dropping the way its described here. I got a warranty replacement and no more issues. Fast charging wireless works fine too. I suggest getting the device replaced.

slingshot202

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I question some things people suggest here. First of all adjusting a router in this case wont work. This wifi connectivity is a known issue along with bluetooth connectivity issues. So making adjustments to your router will do nothing if its happening no matter what wifi you're on. Secondly, I had the same issue with wifi dropping the way its described here. I got a warranty replacement and no more issues. Fast charging wireless works fine too. I suggest getting the device replaced.
Device replacement seems a hefty step, I'm only having wifi issues at the moment.

There is nothing else noted on this problem? I'm surprised the phone supplier would swap the phone out so fast for the wifi issue.

I need to see if this happens on other wifi systems. I have two routers at home and it happens on both.

CJ