WiFi won't turn OFF!

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I selected WiFi OFF as my screenshot shows yet the battery stats page clearly shows it ON. What am I missing?! Thanks.
59ae8eeadbc1da0b94fc87dc603be99f.jpg
0b8416006b61e260a3fa4bd4cae9745b.jpg

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmmm, not sure. Are you saying or suggesting there may be a way to shut off the constant scanning for wifi even though the button has it as selected off?! Bizarre.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea. I turned mine off. And it stayed on. Yesterday it turned off. Today it didn't turn off. Well towards the end but 90% of the time it was on. Not sure why. And I have location history and Google now disabled. And battery saving mode is on for location.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Right. That's what I think at least.... And just as I looked after recharging my phone and after typing that... It was on all day..and now it's been off since full charge... No idea what it is and what keeping it on.

I've been messing with the settings to try and get it off and save battery. But it just doesn't seem to helping any in either aspect. Not sure if turning off locations history helped today as I used my phone more than normal.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So my wifi shows its been off all day since unplug. I don't think it made a difference in battery life. And neither has turning off location history. I'm at 1 hour sot @ 76%. Mathematically speaking. I should be at 3 hours of sot @ 29% battery. That's what I had yesterday with the wifi staying on all day when I did make it to 30% physically.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try rebooting the device and see if that helps. Can you also post the screen shot of the battery stats page showing the percentage/time in which apps/services are using battery. I think it's the screen before this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Bump please.

It's possible that you have an app that has the permission to keep wifi on. Without looking at your phone it's impossible to tell which app that is.

So, you can go into settings / apps, tap each one in the downloaded list, and see if any of them have the permission to turn wifi on or off. That app would be suspected in making this happen.

If it's not that, then it's probably a bug in android and there's nothing you can do about until marshmallow. I know that was an issue with 5.0.x, but 5.1.1 I thought didn't have this problem, so I suspect the app problem.

(I've also read somebody who said that using the app Power Toggles to toggle wifi rather than the standard settings toggle will keep it off, but I think that's not true if you have an app problem. Still, maybe it's worth a try.)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.painless.pc&hl=e&token=osb5FvlO

I am pretty sure that wifi only consumes battery when you are using it, particularly when the signal is weak, so if you're trying to improve battery by toggling wifi when you are not connected to an access point I have a feeling you'll be disappointed if you get this worked out.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I looked at my downloaded apps many which have plenty of permissions but none from what I saw say anything with regards to keeping our turning WiFi on

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I looked at my downloaded apps many which have plenty of permissions but none from what I saw say anything with regards to keeping our turning WiFi on

I've had this problem when wifi scanning is on, and occasionally it's persisted even when I've turned it off. The only problem is, when I use Google maps it often prompts you to turn wifi scanning on, and I accidentally reactivate it. Turn off wifi scanning, and then reboot the phone afterwards. Leave wifi off to ensure its connected to your data instead of wifi, and then it shouldn't do this anymore. This has always worked for me. I should note though that I've noticed very little difference in battery performance whether this is present or not.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had this problem when wifi scanning is on, and occasionally it's persisted even when I've turned it off. The only problem is, when I use Google maps it often prompts you to turn wifi scanning on, and I accidentally reactivate it. Turn off wifi scanning, and then reboot the phone afterwards. Leave wifi off to ensure its connected to your data instead of wifi, and then it shouldn't do this anymore. This has always worked for me. I should note though that I've noticed very little difference in battery performance whether this is present or not.
I'll try thanks!

eLCruz

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem, it was driving me nuts! Goto Location settings, find improve accuracy:
ecec45bb0302cd4b28231e2f7c4f90a9.jpg

Then turn off wifi and Bluetooth scanning.
3c74094f4cf934fe09efff6453304035.jpg

These are what keep wifi (and Bluetooth) on even when you turn them off.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
This issue happened to my old Turbo 2, and it's happening to my current Z Play as well and it's kinda annoying... Maybe it's an inherent problem with Moto's software? Nothing fixes it, not reboots, not turning off scanning.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem, it was driving me nuts! Goto Location settings, find improve accuracy:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161205/ecec45bb0302cd4b28231e2f7c4f90a9.jpg

Then turn off wifi and Bluetooth scanning.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161205/3c74094f4cf934fe09efff6453304035.jpg

These are what keep wifi (and Bluetooth) on even when you turn them off.

Yeah doesn't work. Had this issue ever since I got the DT2, and I've done everything. Even rebooting it doesn't always work.

CEStanley

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Yea. I turned mine off. And it stayed on. Yesterday it turned off. Today it didn't turn off. Well towards the end but 90% of the time it was on. Not sure why. And I have location history and Google now disabled. And battery saving mode is on for location.

On my S5, if I turn the WiFi off and restart my phone, the WiFi stays off when the phone comes back up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams