Will be brand new to the Nook Color Very Shortly! :)

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello all. Ive been with Android for a little while. Went from the HTC Aria, Captivate, Dell Streak and Monday The Atrix 4G. So I understand the process of rooting and whatnot. The Streak was like a mini tablet. I had purchased the Archos 10.1 and after that same day I put it back on ebay to sell. I wasnt fond of the screen and the viewing angles. Didnt please me at all. Felt cheapish.

I wanted to get a tablet, but didnt want to pay a crazy amount for one. So I started looking into the Nook Color and reading up on how a lot of people are really enjoying there purchase. I watched youtube videos and seen the viewing angles and everything and it looks like its a quality device. I ordered mine from walmart.com and it should be here next week. Im anxious once I get it.

What were some of the first things you guys did? I think Im gonna wait on HoneyComb to be a bit more stable before putting that on so I was wonering if Froyo ran stable on the Nook? Where would you say would be the best place for me to go to put it on the nook with step by step instructions telling me all of the software (and where to get it) that I will need to make this happen? Any other pointers you guys can give me? Im really excited as next week will be the Atrix and Nook Color comming to me. ;)

packerzphan

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did the same thing you did. I bought a nook color to get my by until the new tablets come down some. I threw on Honeycomb first with SD and it has a bunch of problems and is slow. So I then went to froyo on internal memory and overclocked it to 1100 mhz. I love it! The best thing so far is that from what I've seen is this thing is unbrickable. One pointer I can give you is get a fast micro sd card(class 10 if possible) just in case you want to put honeycomb on it to try it out.

Reactions: Terrigno

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Nook with no idea of its ability to be anything more than a Reader with Internet access. The weight of it put me off at first and I was investigating replacing it with a lighter-weight reader when I came across information about rooting it. I was a little nervous about changing things on the NC itself, but after finding out that it could be completely restored to factory and it's hard to brick, I took the plunge and rooted it with AutoNooter. Then I found this forum and saw there were other options which left the Nook virtually untouched and decided to try HoneyComb first. That went okay, but being that it is still in the development stages, I couldn't do a whole lot with it. Then I tried Nookie Froyo and liked it enough to stick with it and tweak it to my personal taste.

I have used a lot of tips and tricks and gotten rid of the signal icon, blocked updates, found a lovely replacement for Swype, installed a different browser, (hopefully) fixed slow touchscreen response and removed cell standby battery usage, which increased battery life to at least twice as much as it was before. I am very happy with my NC now. I still have HoneyComb on an sd card but find that for now, it's Froyo practically all the time. I also bought faster sd cards (went from class 2 to class 4 without knowing it) and the increase in speed was well worth it.

Oh, btw, looking for a different device ended when I saw what could be done with the Nook Color. I was the center of attention recently when a group of friends wanted to know what I was using, where did I buy it, how much did it cost, and could I show them how to fix theirs up like mine after they bought one. Can't beat a $249 Android tablet. I don't need the phone and texting features since my Android phone is within reach 24/7.

Asaroth2010

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
hello Nook Fans
i read about the nook color and how to turn it into a less expensive tablet.
downloaded honeycomb and froyo to run on sd and then walked in to my local walmart and bought it. got it home and put the card in and Bang!! I was off to the races 5 min fiddling with setting (market,Gapps Few Games)couldn't be happier. I check the cappy and nook post every day thanks for the great info shared everyday by everyone just wanted to say hey

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Awesome. Sounds good guys! I found a guy with a video on youtube that shows how to put Froyo on the SD Card and put it on the Nook brand new straight from the box. He did a really good video and posted links also to where to get the burned image file for the SD card and stuff. Also, when installed its already installed with Root. So that way, I can start fiddling around and making some performance stuff happen. He burned this on the SD Card and put it in, waited 5 minutes and took it out. And the Nook booted up with Froyo. So I guess it burnes it to the internal rom which is fine. I dont need the factory Nook Settings. Any other advice?

vettypayal623

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Most probably I will be getting a Nook color tomorrow, I purchased one from E-Bay. This would be my first ever android device, I never used an iOS or Android device before. I was desperate to get my hands on one of the Androids coz I wanted to jump into android development on my spare time. I already got 2 Sd cards with froyo and honeycomb on them to boot on NC. You guys on this forum are awesome source of vluable information. Without this and xda-developers forum, I wouldn't have even thought of getting a Nook Color because without these mods, NC is just another e-book reader with not much use for me. I haven't even got the device yet, but I already feel so familiar with it. Thank you guys, you rock!

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thats one thing that is definitly true. I was first a hardcore BlackBerry user and all that was made possible thanks to CrackBerry.com. Once I read up and got more into, I seen the posibilites that can be done with the phone. I then Switched to Android. Knowing there was a community for it and Im glad I made the switch.

Id rather fiddle around with the devices like rooting and hacking so I dont basically just have another plan old cell phone. And to think theres sooo many people out there that arent into doing these things. If they only knew. Im proud to be a geek with this stuff.

vettypayal623

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am using a class 4 to run Honeycomb, it works like a charm. no lag on OS's part, but if you install too many apps, apps screen takes a while to show up. Other than that, class 4 is perfect for both froyo and Honeycomb

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884