Will EVO get gingerbread 3.0?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I would assume so. Gingerbread is supposed to be out within the next few months, correct me if I'm wrong. I Haven't heard of any new HTC phones coming out within that time frame. So I think it's safe to assume that HTC and Spring would want its Flagship to be running the most recent version.. I'm still extremely amazed that HTC and Sprint were not only able to bring 2.2 so fast but also to be the first to bring it out. I'm truly flabbergasted... I guess getting 2.2 before anyone to update the N1 gave them a big of a hands up on the competition. I wish they hadn't rushed it though at the same time... Bugs bugs bugs is all I can say about 2.2 so far.. Even after 2 hard resets..

jgladstone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm miffed at your "bugs bugs bugs" I use my EVO for work and play extensively. I also run MANY apps and games. I have had virtually zero problems with 2.2. Are you rooted?...I am not. Did you upgrade with the pre release?....I did not. perhaps you are running a bad app or program?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted. I had the pre release but I've gotten the official HTC update to bring me back to where I'm supposed to be. I've done a hard reset twice now. The first time it cleared many of the problems I had but after a few days it came back. Did it again and yet again some of the problems are back but this time there is random an inexplicable extreme amount of lag. I'm talking HTC Hero lag. Each time I've waited a few days in between to reinstall any app which was really annoying and turned the smartphone part of the phone useless. Problems still occurred even without the apps. After I redownloaded the apps the problems are still here. I'm just gonna hope and pray that there's patch coming from HTC soon. Because it's not just me. There's a huge sticky about the many problems people are having after the 2.2 update from both people with the pre release, official, and re release with the official patch. :(

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have no issues with Froyo on my Evo and as far as gingerbread goes, as long as it comes out before next June, after that I don't care because hopefully there with be a Evo2 with gingerbread preinstalled to upgrade to.

wsrep

May 18, 2010
Visit site
rumors has it gingerbread will need at least a 1ghz processor to run. evo should be able to run it but only time will tell.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really concerned about Gingerbread just yet. I just want a completely stable Froyo first. That will be good enough for me until next year when I get another phone. I would like to experience Gingerbread or a more powerful device. I hope there is an EVO 2. That would definitely be my first choice at this point.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
According to the rumors about the Gingerbread requirements, I would think the EVO would get it but I'm not sure. I think the best anyone can do at this point is guess :(

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm miffed at your "bugs bugs bugs" I use my EVO for work and play extensively. I also run MANY apps and games. I have had virtually zero problems with 2.2. Are you rooted?...I am not. Did you upgrade with the pre release?....I did not. perhaps you are running a bad app or program?

I am always miffed by the Bugs, Bugs, Bugs thing... I am not rooted... I did upgrade to the early .3 release and just last week got the .6 update OTA and like you I use my EVO for both work and play with no problems at all.

Even the early release of Froyo was bug free for what I do with it... I don't play a lot of games but do have a dozen or so Apps I use from time to time, I have 4 different e-mail accounts tied to my EVO, text message constantly and talked a good amount each day with at least 90 minutes of internet surfing as well.

As for Gingerbread?

REALLY????

2.2 Froyo isn't even a month old on the EVO yet and were talking 3.0? Early rumors were late 2010 early 2011 for Gingerbread on the EVO even if it happens... Then add to the fact that there are rumors abound about dual core snapdragon processor phone's hitting the market around November/December and the EVO will be old news.... Some of us can't afford to just upgrade to the latest and greatest device every few months but if Sprint puts out a dual core 1.5 ghz or 2 ghz phone with 1 gig of RAM and a sweet 4inch plus screen the EVO will not be the priority it is right now...

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Man...I don't want to hear about any updates anymore, no matter what you call it. So many get over hyped, cream their jeans, etc...then as soon as it releases...whines galore.

Richard_Danger

May 16, 2010
www.twitter.com
I am mentally exhausted from the froyo update. I need time to recover before another update.

But if gingerbread doesn't come to the EVO, I will just root and flash a gingerbread rom. It would be nice to get an official OTA, but there's usually more than one way to get what you want.

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Is there a Reason to go to Gingerbread at the time? If there arent' any OFFICIAL benefits, i say WHO CARES!! Froyo is cool. Minot bugs need to be fixed and the Apps still havent' caught up. I say Not for at least 12 months at best!

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted. I had the pre release but I've gotten the official HTC update to bring me back to where I'm supposed to be. I've done a hard reset twice now. The first time it cleared many of the problems I had but after a few days it came back. Did it again and yet again some of the problems are back but this time there is random an inexplicable extreme amount of lag. I'm talking HTC Hero lag. Each time I've waited a few days in between to reinstall any app which was really annoying and turned the smartphone part of the phone useless. Problems still occurred even without the apps. After I redownloaded the apps the problems are still here. I'm just gonna hope and pray that there's patch coming from HTC soon. Because it's not just me. There's a huge sticky about the many problems people are having after the 2.2 update from both people with the pre release, official, and re release with the official patch. :(

I had only a few issues prior to 2.2 but had MANY problems after updating to 2.2. I should say that I did the unofficial update to 2.2 then the official update and once again I have had many issues. I was, however, able to determine that my uSD card got hosed and when I put another uSD card in the phone all my problems have disappeared.

When I take the suspect uSD card and plug it into my Win7 64 laptop the laptop "sees" the card but can not do anything with it. In fact, if I click on the drive icon the file manager chokes and I have to kill it by task manager. If I try to run the check disk thing it too chokes and needs to be killed via task manager.

So, try replacing the uSD card and see if that helps you. After replacing my uSD card my Evo feels faster then ever, the battery life is improved, and I no longer have the issues that made the phone practically useless.

If replacing the uSD card fixes your problem please report back as I think HTC should know they have a problem with how they handle the uSD card during the boot/reboot sequence used in the updates.

Brian