Will Google ever put out a fix for the Pixel 2 XL camera app or is my phone worthless now?

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
An update from what I posted above.
I chatted with 3 reps, the first one said she would send me an email so I could reply with a bug report. I could tell when she was typing, assumed she could see that I was still typing but she disconnected me.

I started another chat, this rep waited while I replied to the email, she had a look at it, said there was NOTHING she could do, sent a link for me to contact to get it repaired (YouBreak|Fix or something)

I called the closest repair place in the link I was sent, they told me if BOTH cameras are not working it HAs to be a software issue, there was nothing he could do.

So I opened up another chat, told this rep my phone was a whole 2 weeks past warranty and after a few "please holds" she agreed to send me a new phone on a one time only basis.

So my faith in Google is renewed. My question is what can I do to ensure this new phone doesn't have the same issue soon?
Could it be the result of using a remote to operate the 'shutter' on m phone the day before? (So I can take pics with the phone on a tripod)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's great! Way to be persistent.:)

I don't think there's much you can do to try to prevent this from happening. I still think it was some bug or defect, probably related to a certain batch of phones. Even if the replacement phone you get is prone to that same bug, chances are it would take another 1-2 years before it surfaced, so I'd still count it as a win.

I also wonder if they're really going to send you a replacement Pixel 2 (considering how old it is), or if it might end up being a 3!

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
If my camera isn't working I don't think that is going to do me any good.
Not great reviews on the GCam Tool app.
I'm noticing some are saying it is software related. Doesn't hurt to try, if the app still doesn't work I would contact Google until resolved. Unfortunately there is a known issue with the camera for the Pixel 2 and 2 xl phones.

So far mine is still working fine.

feck12a

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Mine went to hell in mid April, they are sending me a refurb (warranty isn't up for 2 more weeks). I had to give them my card so they can put a hold on it but at least I won't be without a phone like its 1987 or something...

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Mine went to hell in mid April, they are sending me a refurb (warranty isn't up for 2 more weeks). I had to give them my card so they can put a hold on it but at least I won't be without a phone like its 1987 or something...
Did they count it as 2 years from the date you bought the phone?

This is what I'm afraid of, one day the camera being unusable for no reason at all.

Here is a video of someone going through the same thing:

https://youtu.be/zu2TEk6MboE

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I started having camera app/black screen error end of last year. I had a new camera installed today, and everything is fine. Safe mode, factory reset, Google support, etc. was all useless.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I started having camera app/black screen error end of last year. I had a new camera installed today, and everything is fine. Safe mode, factory reset, Google support, etc. was all useless.

You're talking hardware?
The place that did the job knew 100% hardware was the problem?
The place I contacted said it was a software issue.

A few months ago I got the "stuck on the Google G" thing happen one morning when I turned the phone on, couldn't do anything with it, had to wipe it and start all over. MAybe that was the beginning of a hardware issue?
The day before the camera quit the phone rebooted itself for no apparent reason, wasn't over heating or anything.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Was the hold amount on your CC for the full price of a new phone?
Mine was, they didn't say anything about me getting a refurb phone.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You're talking hardware?
The place that did the job knew 100% hardware was the problem?
The place I contacted said it was a software issue.

A few months ago I got the "stuck on the Google G" thing happen one morning when I turned the phone on, couldn't do anything with it, had to wipe it and start all over. MAybe that was the beginning of a hardware issue?
The day before the camera quit the phone rebooted itself for no apparent reason, wasn't over heating or anything.

I'm talking hardware. The repair shop initially agreed with Google that's it's a software issue. I disagreed and ordered a new rear camera. It just took six months to get the repair done (mostly due to COVID-19 closures). Now everything is fine. My Pixel 2 XL is literally as good as new.

feck12a

May 8, 2020
Visit site
yes, full price. With tax over $1000.00 but I'm not to concerned about it. I'll send the broken one right back to them. Coming today by fedex.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
yes, full price. With tax over $1000.00 but I'm not to concerned about it. I'll send the broken one right back to them. Coming today by fedex.
Wow Google is really something, no way the Pixel 2 XL released October 19, 2017 is even close to be worth that price. Smart business tactic to ensure the person sends back their defective phone.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm talking hardware. The repair shop initially agreed with Google that's it's a software issue. I disagreed and ordered a new rear camera. It just took six months to get the repair done (mostly due to COVID-19 closures). Now everything is fine. My Pixel 2 XL is literally as good as new.
Curious to see how much this cost you out of pocket.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone heard of any reports that if you are persistent enough that they send you a 3 XL instead?

Seeing as the camera is a known issue for the 2 XL.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz