Will Google ever put out a fix for the Pixel 2 XL camera app or is my phone worthless now?

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I haven't heard about upgrading 2XL replacements.
If mine starts giving me issues I'll attempt it and let everyone here know.

Knock on wood all has been smooth since date of purchase late last year. Got a heck of a deal $ 10/mo for 24 months for a brand new 2 XL.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If mine starts giving me issues I'll attempt it and let everyone here know.

Knock on wood all has been smooth since date of purchase late last year. Got a heck of a deal $ 10/mo for 24 months for a brand new 2 XL.
You have a two year warranty so it shouldn't cost you anything during that period.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Gotcha, thank you.

That $ 1000 hold on the card is scary though.
It's usually only a hold which usually drops off even before you return the bad one. Of course if the bad one isn't returned then they charge you. Not sure why it's so much though.

legend221

May 11, 2015
Visit site
It's usually only a hold which usually drops off even before you return the bad one. Of course if the bad one isn't returned then they charge you. Not sure why it's so much though.
Thanks Mike for the clarification.

I've had FedEx destroy packages or have gotten them lost when they have had them in their warehouses. I just hope all goes smoothly on the return. I would hate to be back and forth with Google about a claim it wasn't ever received.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mike for the clarification.

I've had FedEx destroy packages or have gotten them lost when they have had them in their warehouses. I just hope all goes smoothly on the return. I would hate to be back and forth with Google about a claim it wasn't ever received.
As long as you get a FedEx receipt you should be good

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Ya, my replacement is taking longer than expected to arrive, I'm sure the same thing will happen when I send my old one back. I hope as long as they can track my return they're not too hasty in billing my CC.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We live in a rural area and have PO Boxes, phone is at the local mail depot today but they're so backed up with packages and short staffed due to covid I couldn't get it today, hopefully tomorrow..?
Already got a NAG email from Google asking if I returned my old one.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Got it today, now the fun part, transferring everything and setting it up...
It's cool everything transfers, apps etc but wish it would end up EXACTLY the same as the old one.
Camera works! :D

Last edited:

feck12a

May 8, 2020
Visit site
I got the refurb on Wednesday, works great. Camera is working and the and as a bonus the battery is stronger than the old one. I dropped the broken one into the fedex box Thursday and they must have received it because the hold fell off of my card today (thank god). While I'm not happy it broke and seriously considering not buying google again, they took care of me this time so I can't complain.

Fisherguy 01

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Ya, and I might be wrong but does anyone else give 2 year warranties?
I got my replacement when the phone was 2 weeks past warranty, it took persistence though.

They sent me a replacement when my 6P was bending too so I'm guessing my next phone will be another Google, the free photo storage is a good deal too I think.

BTW, is Google still (basically) contracting out the manufacturing of their phones or have they settled on 1 manufacturer?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ya, and I might be wrong but does anyone else give 2 year warranties?
I got my replacement when the phone was 2 weeks past warranty, it took persistence though.

They sent me a replacement when my 6P was bending too so I'm guessing my next phone will be another Google, the free photo storage is a good deal too I think.

BTW, is Google still (basically) contracting out the manufacturing of their phones or have they settled on 1 manufacturer?
The two year warranty was just for the Pixel 2s because there some initial complaints about the screens.
Last I heard it was Foxconn making their phones. I believe they are now using Samsung screens but I'm not sure on that