Will the "Always On" feature for the S7 work with 3rd-party apps?

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone happen to know if the always on display will show third-party app notifications? Everything I've seen so far only shows the stock Samsung notifications, so I'm hoping it will show all notifications.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Always On Display Question

That's a good question. I would like to know too. Doing just Samsung apps would be too limited, imo.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd be really disappointed if it didn't show notifications for non Samsung apps, eg I use textra for texting, and k9 mail. And a different calendar, etc. I might want to use outlook app if they ever get their act together.

Posted via Android Central App

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Unfortunately I have a feeling that it won't show third-party notifications. I say this because I saw a preview video that showed the always on display, then showed the person unlocking the phone and there was a third-party notification in the menu bar. If my suspicion is right, this is a huge flaw.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Or an app like NoLED would be fine for me too. I don't really care about seeing a clock, that's what my watch is for. I used this on my fascinate (first Galaxy s). I liked how I could set colors of the icons.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Does the LED turn on for 3rd party at least?
Have you figured out which Samsung/google apps the icons do appear for? Is it voicemail, SMS, missed call, and email?

Yes very disappointing.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used it much, but I don't think any Google apps work. I think it might just be calls, text messages and voice mails. I'll keep an eye on it though.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually check the settings or just assume it doesn't respond to 3rd party apps? I'm sure it's set to respond to all the default Samsung apps and not the stuff you may have just installed. No way they'd have it work for Samsung messaging, but not something like Google messenger or hangouts.

Moto display worked with any and every app that you allowed to have notifications, but you could deselect ones yoh didn't want on the ambient display. I'm sure the same goes for Samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually check the settings or just assume it doesn't respond to 3rd party apps? I'm sure it's set to respond to all the default Samsung apps and not the stuff you may have just installed. No way they'd have it work for Samsung messaging, but not something like Google messenger or hangouts.

Moto display worked with any and every app that you allowed to have notifications, but you could deselect ones yoh didn't want on the ambient display. I'm sure the same goes for Samsung.

I'm afraid you'd be wrong. There are few settings for the always on display, unfortunately. In addition, I use Google Messenger for SMS, and it didn't appear on the always on display. I really miss the Moto display.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
You're almost making me want to stick with my Moto X right now. For something sooo stupid on Samsung's part. I think most of their software enhancements are frivolous. If they had any serious talent they would make AOD useful. Instead it's marketing crap to put on a glossy.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You're almost making me want to stick with my Moto X right now. For something sooo stupid on Samsung's part. I think most of their software enhancements are frivolous. If they had any serious talent they would make AOD useful. Instead it's marketing crap to put on a glossy.
Totally agree. I was considering getting a Moto X Pure Edition anyway, and this poor implementation of a potentially great feature is making me reconsider my purchase of a phone that is $280 more expensive.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I always have buyers remorse the first few days. All I can see are the things I don't like. Yeah, probably smart to give it some time.

Titan206

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I always have buyers remorse the first few days. All I can see are the things I don't like. Yeah, probably smart to give it some time.

Sounds like you and I have some things in common. I'll give it a shot before I let my buyer's remorse set in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rambo4id