Wireless charging issue?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Just got this watch because it was on sale (actually the watch active 1, not the 2, but I figure for this purpose they're the same). I charged it initially on the included charger and of course that worked fine.

It then wanted to update so I threw it down on a generic qi wireless charger I had. It said charging on the watch, the charger LED indicator lit up. I walked away for the update and came back and the update was done but the watch had lost battery and was INCREDIBLY hot. It actually said too hot to charge so I took it off the charger obviously.

I decided to try it again later at night thinking that installing the update must have just used too much processing power and heated the watch up too much to charge. I threw the watch on there at night. Again it said "charging" and everything. Come back in the morning...the watch is again VERY hot, but completely off. The battery had died entirely.

I plopped it down on its regular charger and now its charging back up again.

I've charged other things with this charger before and not had this issue. Is there something I'm missing here? I figured this watch was qi compatible? Definitely one of the reasons I got it was for universal charging comparability with my other devices.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The watches are finnicky (not sure it's on purpose, but I wouldn't be surprised it IS) when it comes to chargers, even Samsung's own, that aren't designed for the watch. Yes, they get INCREDIBLY hot, mostly because for those pads that do work, they barely reach the coil on the watch and have A LOT of energy to disperse since it's not being transferred TO the watch (Picture shooting water with a hose to a tiny hole in the wall... the splash that ensues around it is the heat that needs to be dispersed in this case). This is not your charger, this is not the watch (not being defective, anyway)...it's just that it is meant to charge with the charger FOR the watch.

That's why charging pads with a coil for 'flat' devices and a one with a tiny nook for wearables are a thing.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I know there's an OG GWA forum but I noticed it had very few recent posts/active members where as this one had quite a few. I figure the charging technology is the same so I'd have better luck getting an answer here.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
The watches are finnicky (not sure it's on purpose, but I wouldn't be surprised it IS) when it comes to chargers, even Samsung's own, that aren't designed for the watch. Yes, they get INCREDIBLY hot, mostly because for those pads that do work, they barely reach the coil on the watch and have A LOT of energy to disperse since it's not being transferred TO the watch (Picture shooting water with a hose to a tiny hole in the wall... the splash that ensues around it is the heat that needs to be dispersed in this case). This is not your charger, this is not the watch (not being defective, anyway)...it's just that it is meant to charge with the charger FOR the watch.

That's why charging pads with a coil for 'flat' devices and a one with a tiny nook for wearables are a thing.

Super helpful, thank you! A little disappointed it can't reliably be used with regular charging mats but I can get a smaller one for the watch I suppose. Mostly just hoping that setting in on there overnight didn't damage the battery at all :/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I hear ya! I have a bunch of chargers around the house and office and hate that can only use the puck or the battery pack from Samsung for the watch! Especially since sleep tracking is a thing that works, I no longer charge at night (if this was the case, I wouldn't mind not being able to charge on normal pads).

What I do now is, if the pad can charge the watch at least a bit, I don't do it for long sessions or expecting it to fully charge. Just a quick juice up and done, like when watching a show or something.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

What I find crazy is that some of Samsung's own watch chargers won't charge my Active 2. I also have an S3 Frontier that came with a charging stand of sorts in the box. When I put my Active 2 on it it connects as if it's charging, but constantly cycles through as if it's trying to connect, but can't quite.

I thought the reason my Active 1 wouldn't charge on it was because it was too small so the watch didn't connect to the coils, but the 44mm Active 2 I have should be the proper size to connect. Not sure why it won't. It's frustrating though, b/c I much prefer the charger that came with my S3 over the puck style chargers that came with my Active 1 and 2.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I just got the Active 2 after my Galaxy Watch broke and Samsung was giving me a hard way to go for 2 months and I was under warranty but now I like the Active 2 better and they decide to send me a replacement after 2 months but anyway I tried to put the active 2 on the charging stand that came with my Galaxy Watch and on my old S3 which I gave my husband that stand and neither worked. One said use original charger and then the other just flashed red and wouldn't charge. I was hoping to have an extra charger so now I want to order and extra of the same one. I was thinking of the duo charger that does phone and watch but not sure how well it would do the watch anyone have one and use it with the Active 2?

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Chargers are cheap enough to get for the Active 2, I bought a spare charger and 2 small stands so I have one in the living room and one in the bedroom, cost me 20 quid for the 3 items.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy