Would New/Different Launcher Help Me?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
:-[ My 2012 Nexus 7 Tablet updated to Android 4.4 on 11/21/13 or 11/22/13. Most of the bugs seem to happen after it boots up and while it is loading applications, putting up notifications, etc. It will just freeze and then thaw out in a little while. Basic functions like Settings or Launcher will just stop and then put up an option of reporting the error. Lastly, it will spontaneously reboot. After it does that, reboots itself, it basically runs pretty OK. I talked with Google and did a factory reset as per their advice, but that didn't fix any of these problems. Now Google says they are going to give me instructions for reverting to Android 4.3. It has only been since I did the factory reset this weekend that I realized that most of the bugs happen right after I turn it on. I wonder whether it has anything to do with a Launcher? Does anyone have an opinion? Can I get a new or different Launcher?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
perhaps you have a rogue incompatible app installed or a bad setting? try deleting all apps and reinstall one by one until you find the culprit.

i doubt a new Launcher will make a difference in stability vs. stock.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.4.2 should be rolling out pretty soon, so see if that solves your problems. After you've installed the update, I suggest wiping the system cache partition as a way of "clearing out the cobwebs," using these instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

In the meantime, you could try booting into Safe Mode to see if any of your 3rd party installed apps are causing problems, as suggested by Gekko. ISafe Mode prevents any 3rd party app from running. nstructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Android 4.4.2 should be rolling out pretty soon, so see if that solves your problems. After you've installed the update, I suggest wiping the system cache partition as a way of "clearing out the cobwebs," using these instructions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-nexus-7-2012-2013-cache-partition-wipe.html

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Android 4.4.2 rolled out to me just this afternoon before I read your post here. So far, things are looking really good. None of the problems that I mentioned above have occurred after the post-upgrade reboot. Fingers crossed. I'll just have to keep watch. Also, I'll keep your post in mind vis-a-vis wiping the system cache and running in Safe Mode.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

In the meantime, you could try booting into Safe Mode to see if any of your 3rd party installed apps are causing problems, as suggested by Gekko. ISafe Mode prevents any 3rd party app from running. nstructions here: https://support.gothe ogle.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

B. Diddy,

Although I had my fingers crossed, the original problems with my Nexus 7 Tablet 2012 that I described above have returned. For 3 mornings in a row following the upgrade to Android 4.4.2, the Tablet booted, loaded apps and posted Notifications without a hitch. Then, it resorted to it's earlier behavior.

Wiping the system cache partition as you described didn?t help. But instead of trying the Safe Mode operation suggestion, I installed the Nova Launcher. I'll see how that goes for the next several days. If that doesn't do any good, I will use the Safe Mode approach. Maybe I'll be able to identify a rogue 3rd party app that I can live without that is gumming up the works.

Thanks again for your help.
Greg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. Wish I could help you more, but maybe it's just a bad unit that you have. Let us know how Nova works.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy,

I will definitely keep you posted. Wouldn't you be surprised if it were a bad unit? I mean, it has worked well for over a year through several system upgrades. These problems didn't appear until after the upgrade to Android 4.4. But I suppose you're right. It may just have taken this particular upgrade to uncover some technical flaw.

Thanks,
Greg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, good point. For some reason, I was thinking that maybe you had recently purchased your 2012 N7.

Historically, though, there seems to have been a batch or two of problematic 2012 N7s, so like you say, I wonder if the upgrade to 4.4 somehow brought out some of those problems in yours.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Oh yes, good point. For some reason, I was thinking that maybe you had recently purchased your 2012 N7.

Historically, though, there seems to have been a batch or two of problematic 2012 N7s, so like you say, I wonder if the upgrade to 4.4 somehow brought out some of those problems in yours.

B. Diddy,

Well, the Nova Launcher stopped a little while ago, just like the stock launcher has been doing, shortly after I turned the Tablet on. It was posting the Notifications since last night and never finished. The really annoying thing is that when it reboots, it doesn't repost the Notifications that it posted before it stopped. So I never get to see what they were.

OK, it is now time to try the Safe Mode approach that you outlined for me above. I hope this will provide the intended insight. You see, once the Tablet reboots itself in the morning after I turn it on, it runs well for the rest of the day, even if I restart it. And to get it into the Safe Mode, I have to restart it after initially turning it on. Do you see the problem? Is there a way to preset it to use the Safe Mode prior to the first turn on in the morning? That is, can I set it to run in the Safe Mode at the next turn on when I shut it down the night before?

Anyway, I'll give it a try as you laid it out for me and let you know. By the way, thanks again for staying with me through this problem.

Greg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you routinely powering down the tablet at night? You really don't have to--just let it sleep with the screen off, then wake it from sleep the following morning. If problems seem to crop up whenever you power the tablet on from an off state, then maybe it'll work better if you just leave it powered on all of the time.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you routinely powering down the tablet at night? You really don't have to--just let it sleep with the screen off, then wake it from sleep the following morning. If problems seem to crop up whenever you power the tablet on from an off state, then maybe it'll work better if you just leave it powered on all of the time.

B. Diddy,

Yes, shutting it down at night and starting it in the morning is my routine. I am aware that computers, etc. don't really need to be turned off. I guess I became so set in my ways that it didn't occur to me to behave differently. I'll follow your advice and see what happens on those occasions when it needs to be restarted to fix some glitch that has developed, etc.

Thanks again,
Greg