Would you switch carriers to get the OnePlus One?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OnePlus One isn't available on Sprint and Verizon.

I am on Verizon now, and at the moment, my legacy plan is by far the cheapest compared to the competition. However, if another carrier can offer equal pricing to my current plan and provide equal total network coverage to Verizon then I would consider switching to get the OnePlus One. I really like the concept of affordable phones and like the big display.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I've been on Sprint for over 15 years now and I have already grown tired of all their promises of awesome speed and network Vision... I have a Nexus 5 but my line is locked into a contract until the end of May... Was already looking to take my Nexus 5 to T-Mobile or AT&T next month anyway... At least to test those networks out vs Sprint... So YES, I'd gladly make the switch with a One.... Even with my older CHEAP legacy Sprint plan their coverage is just horrendous.... Even with a so called "Strong" LTE signal the network just isn't up to snuff.....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Such as? T-Mobile has no band 2 LTE deployment as of yet.

I know that the tmobile Note 3, 5s,5c supports it. I am sure other phones too. I can check specifics if you had a phone in mind. TMobile has said 50% band 2 deployment this year.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I know that the tmobile Note 3, 5s,5c supports it. I am sure other phones too. I can check specifics if you had a phone in mind. TMobile has said 50% band 2 deployment this year.
No, I was just trying to get a general idea, thanks. T-Mobile has said it will convert 50% of its 2G coverage, which is on band 2, to LTE this year. That doesn't mean, however, that 50% of T-Mobile's LTE coverage will be on Band 2.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct. Sorry if I worded it wrong.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I would never give my the coverage I have with Verizon. Other companies just aren't' as good around here. I do with the phone worked on Verizon. Seems like they are missing a huge market there. Too bad. I probably would have bought one.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I plan to stay put with TMO for now. HSPA+ works plenty fast for me. I don't see a need to stream movies on my phone using wireless data just yet...

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't use Verizon because they don't get the opportunity to have some phones because they use different radio technology than the rest of the world. You're limited to what Verizon wants to offer you.

jnbarth

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am counting the weeks until my sprint contract ends so I can switch, so my answer (YES DEFINITELY!) doesn't count either.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
However, if another carrier can offer equal pricing to my current plan and provide equal total network coverage to Verizon then I would consider switching to get the OnePlus One.

Some customers buy a Verizon hotspot off of eBay and stick their LTE SIM card into that. The hotspot allows them to use their unlimited data to tether to anything, including a new phone. For texting, they use Google Voice. For voice calls, they use VOIP apps. It's not an elegant solution because you need to maintain 2 devices (the hotspot and the phone), but it is an option if you must use Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Some customers buy a Verizon hotspot off of eBay and stick their LTE SIM card into that. The hotspot allows them to use their unlimited data to tether to anything, including a new phone. For texting, they use Google Voice. For voice calls, they use VOIP apps. It's not an elegant solution because you need to maintain 2 devices (the hotspot and the phone), but it is an option if you must use Verizon.

I just pay for unlimited hotspot. I know that I can do it the way you mentioned, but paying an extra $24 is worth it over carrying two devices and the hassle of using Google voice(which is ending third party support soon anyway)

sy6a2e7y.jpg

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just pay for unlimited hotspot. I know that I can do it the way you mentioned, but paying an extra $24 is worth it over carrying two devices and the hassle of using Google voice(which is ending third party support soon anyway)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/29/sy6a2e7y.jpg

I don't know if these prices are still valid today on VZW especially with Unlimited Web:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if these prices are still valid today on VZW especially with Unlimited Web:)

The unlimited web and unlimited hotspot are legacy plans. They are not available to new accounts however one could assume liability of an existing account to get unlimited data

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The unlimited web and unlimited hotspot are legacy plans.

However, aren't those unlimited plans really just handcuffs that keep you stuck to Verizon? To be fair, you probably get a good signal everywhere you go. Most of the other US carriers either drop calls or don't connect at all. Sometimes you simply can't get a signal.

Maybe one day a company will become powerful enough to challenge Verizon. That company will either force Verizon to carry its phone without compromises (like Apple does) or they'll create their own wireless network that has equal or better coverage and pricing. I suspect neither of those will happen anytime soon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
However, aren't those unlimited plans really just handcuffs that keep you stuck to Verizon? To be fair, you probably get a good signal everywhere you go. Most of the other US carriers either drop calls or don't connect at all. Sometimes you simply can't get a signal.

Maybe one day a company will become powerful enough to challenge Verizon. That company will either force Verizon to carry its phone without compromises (like Apple does) or they'll create their own wireless network that has equal or better coverage and pricing. I suspect neither of those will happen anytime soon.

If another carrier works for you then by all means. Most people are on Verizon for the network. Also, Verizon is the only carrier to offer unlimited hotspot. With my hotspot usage, any other carrier would be prohibitively expensive to use official hot spot.

If another carrier offers the same total network coverage for the same price I am paying now but with more customer friendly policies then I would switch in a heartbeat

mu4ygemy.jpg

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
If another carrier works for you then by all means. Most people are on Verizon for the network. Also, Verizon is the only carrier to offer unlimited hotspot. With my hotspot usage, any other carrier would be prohibitively expensive to use official hot spot.

If another carrier offers the same total network coverage for the same price I am paying now but with more customer friendly policies then I would switch in a heartbeat

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/mu4ygemy.jpg

D@mn! That's a lot of data. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but doesn't have LTE and CDMA bands? I really do like this device.

Posted via Android Central App

Not for Verizon. But it does have lte for att and T-Mobile

Sent from my Verizon Sansung Galaxy S III

PAMdemonium

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus One will work on T-Mobile, the fastest Network in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

I have new one plus one and Tmo for carrier. Opo not compatable ... . been with Tmo from onset 14yrs+ no love for being loyal .. They save thatv4 .only new customers . lol soo many issues with no resovle now have 4 phones 3 lines one cell is working. Barely an unlocked note 2 . which Tmo has nt rec updates for latest I haven't been able to make phone calls where I need to travel. Nothing remote. I am in Boston travel to flat a lot for drs its on map but that's be. They can look and see last call I've made. .. my husband had to go to metro out of
Desparation... We pay both I just recently took control of cell bills Tmo in my name so I almost died when I saw what he is paying but not receiving he used he had rathervslit wrists then call Tmo. He is afraid . . its very screwed up An he is a home land sec agent not scared of much . lol he begged me to buy out contract so I looked at bill holy misteaks REGaurdless of this mess we fact remain s opo WILL NOT WORK. APN settings won't stay set ...So as a phablet its wonder ful I never have sent a text o r been able to make a call looks like it won't be happening For these reasons only. plenty enuff ts so bad that with these strgfe prob and C.S. omg there shift ends before they can adress an fix one problem completly....that sed I have insisted that l my family , the company and ME end this relation ship on my and Hubby's issues alone feel respon. It was I went to an expo 1999 spent a grand . back ...then.. on cells convinced family and company to join up .,.bc they were the little guys then t mobile then wanted to give att and Verizon big guys the monopily a run for there $$ ... Now t mobile big bigger which is OK but they shouldn't take 14 yr loyal customers sooo lightly and forget and give it all to bc of Never ending agreed for um .new customers to them and them alone ......... To answer sorry bout rant ....
N o ill be leaving t mobile an jumping carrier s .....not for opo phone that's just silly.