wrong available space

Ehsan Maleki

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I saw a couple of other similar threads, but they all had strayed away from the topic, so I decided to start a new post.

In my Nexus 7 storage, subtracting the space taken by music, pictures, videos, and apps from total available space DOES NOT equal my available space. I tried restarting already, no luck...

Others seeing similar issue? Any solutions or idea for causes? Thanks.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The storage menu seems to only calculate stuff in specific folders, so stuff outside of those folders won't be included. You should use a file explorer to calculate the space used by your /mnt/sdcard/ folder and I suspect that this will account for most of the difference.

Ehsan Maleki

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
The discrepancy is about 1.5 GB. Also interesting to point out, it seems that the bar graph on top of the storage page is indicating the correct available storage space, which conflicts with the numerical values shown below it.

Frasito

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem as well and made a topic last week about it, just turn the device off and on again and it should show the correct space available. Mine was off by about 5GB!

Ehsan Maleki

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was able to resolve the issue so I wanted to post the solution for anyone else out there with the same problem. Turning it off and on didn't work for me...I tried it several times too.

The solution was rather simple, I did a factory reset through the settings page. It was a bit annoying to get everything back, but google does a good job of returning the tablet to the previous setup. All apps automatically downloaded onto device, I only had to redo a few of the settings. After that, the space has been shown correctly.

michael13162

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
The discrepancy is about 1.5 GB. Also interesting to point out, it seems that the bar graph on top of the storage page is indicating the correct available storage space, which conflicts with the numerical values shown below it.

Yes, on mime too it seems the graph is more accurate than the numbers.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The cache is not calculated under storage so over time it will seem inaccurate but it is correct about the free space. If you get a cache cleaner you see what I mean.

aquante

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue and the poster above is correct. I downloaded a cache cleaner from the Play Store and I had a ton of cached data from Google Music that was causing the storage #'s to be different (over 1.0 GB difference). I would suggest trying a cache cleaner prior to doing a factory reset of any sort.

belal

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue here, that seems needing an scandisk utility, I still looking for one, but of course the issue is not a cache or hidden file, I'm working under linux and I mount my sdcard as a regular harddisk, and I'm completely sure that the available space is being reported incorrectly.
The system doesn't scan the disk to see the used space for the available files then subtract from the storage capacity to get the available free space, but it just asks the partition table and gets fast respond to the available free space, which seems giving wrong report after a device system crash or something.

But the above bar showing the statistics according to the whole files capacity in comparison to the total space, and this is why it gives the correct visual representation for the available space.

Also, I want to add that the hardware reset doesn't consider to be a solution for this issue, you may have your device crashing at least once or twice a week, which will most probably do the issue again, where resetting the device will be nightmare if you are going to do it at least once per week!!

Last edited:

edmit

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
There are huge invisible files somewhere out there, which takes all space. This is mostly cached and temp files. I tried different cache cleaners from the Play Store, but they didn't see these huge files either.

I finally solved the problem using application called "My Device Storage Analyzer". It shows you your storage usage, and it sorts all files by size, allowing you to find huge files and delete them manually, one by one. (I found about six files about 1 GB each, and when I deleted them I freed up about 6 GB).

hedbone

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't think it could be that easy, but the first cache/file cleaner I tried not only cleared out a full gigabyte of crap, it fixed the free space reporting issue.

anon(10555368)

Nov 26, 2018
Visit site
Not to wake the dead, but my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 was off by over 100 GB (not a typo). I'm coming from an iPhone (128GB model) and was only bring over around 50 GB. I used the SmartSwitch to transfer data. During that process, not all of the messages carried over. I attempted to run it again (Samsung Tech Support suggested it). During the second process, the phone ran out of space. Not able to find the data taking up the space, I then did a hardreset on the device and even after the reset, the phone is still showing only a few GB free. I tried out a few cache cleaners but the only one that seemed to straighten out this was "Norton Clean". Now under Internal Storage, I'm showing 20.73 GB/128 GB and under SD Card is 28.38MB / 119.1 GB on my 128 GB SD card. Thank you Norton Clean!

No ads and it was free. I'll be keeping this app around. I only tried this since it had 4.7 stars compared to the other "top" listed at 4.6 stars.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays