WTB Cheapish Tablet.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I would like to buy a cheap tablet, preferably under $200. I've looked on Swappa and eBay with no luck in my budget. I'm not interested in Tab A. Could be a Xiaomi tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What are your criteria? I've been quite satisfied with my Lenovo Tab M9, which is currently $110 brand new on the Lenovo site: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tabl...series/lenovo-tab-m9-(9-inch-mtk)/len103l0016. It has 4GB RAM, a good 720p screen, excellent stereo speakers, fairly minimal bloatware, and decent performance (Asphalt 9 is actually playable on this). This is after dealing with the sluggish mess that my Galaxy Tab A7 lite had become (traded that one in for this).

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
What are your criteria? I've been quite satisfied with my Lenovo Tab M9, which is currently $110 brand new on the Lenovo site: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tabl...series/lenovo-tab-m9-(9-inch-mtk)/len103l0016. It has 4GB RAM, a good 720p screen, excellent stereo speakers, fairly minimal bloatware, and decent performance (Asphalt 9 is actually playable on this). This is after dealing with the sluggish mess that my Galaxy Tab A7 lite had become (traded that one in for this).
Thanks. That looks like what I'm after. I'm not looking to game on a tablet or phone anymore. I just want something to watch content on other than my phone. I previously had the Tab S8 and it was a solid device that I regularly played PUBG on and watched content on. I'm done playing PUBG because of the strain on my eyes. Looking at my phone all day, my eyes hurt more since getting rid my tablet. Especially reading text.

I think I'm going to get this tablet. I wish that it had a 1080p screen but with it being only 9", it shouldn't be that noticable. I know for $50 more, they have the M10 plus but I don't think it'll make that much difference.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you'll like it. I use it primarily for video, ebooks, and browsing on Chrome. The 720p display looks perfectly fine to me, and is not pixelly at all. And it supports Widevine Level 1, so Netflix is in HD.

Interestingly, I just glanced at the recent Android Police review of the M9 (https://www.androidpolice.com/lenovo-tab-m9-review/), and they didn't like it, citing poor performance. I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion, because I've felt that the performance is quite good (and again, much better than the Tab A7 lite). I definitely have not experienced significant lag that is described in the review, and some of the other criticisms are kind of dumb (like complaining about the bezels -- for a tablet like this that the user will be handling a lot for media consumption, bezels are helpful, because it allows you to hold them more easily without accidentally triggering touchscreen commands, like pausing or skipping/fast-forwarding/rewinding a video). They also didn't specify if their test unit had 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM -- mine has 4 GB, so that probably gives a slight edge in performance over the 3 GB version.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you'll like it. I use it primarily for video, ebooks, and browsing on Chrome. The 720p display looks perfectly fine to me, and is not pixelly at all. And it supports Widevine Level 1, so Netflix is in HD.

Interestingly, I just glanced at the recent Android Police review of the M9 (https://www.androidpolice.com/lenovo-tab-m9-review/), and they didn't like it, citing poor performance. I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion, because I've felt that the performance is quite good (and again, much better than the Tab A7 lite). I definitely have not experienced significant lag that is described in the review, and some of the other criticisms are kind of dumb (like complaining about the bezels -- for a tablet like this that the user will be handling a lot for media consumption, bezels are helpful, because it allows you to hold them more easily without accidentally triggering touchscreen commands, like pausing or skipping/fast-forwarding/rewinding a video). They also didn't specify if their test unit had 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM -- mine has 4 GB, so that probably gives a slight edge in performance over the 3 GB version.
Excellent. I just watched a review of the 10 plus and it's not really any better for $50 more. So I think I'm going for the 9.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I just saw that the Lenovo Tab M11 will be releasing in April for $179. Maybe I'll wait for that one. It has a 90hz screen. I'd like to steer clear of budget Samsung tablets.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered the M10+ 4gb/64gb tablet. The M11 doesn't seem to be that big of difference when it comes out in a month.

64gb will be plenty for the apps I will use it for. And any downloaded content can go on an SD card. I'll have to check to see if it can be rooted and can have a custom ROM on it so I can enable apps to be moved to the SD card. I think the storage will be the only issue I'll run into with it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered the M10+ 4gb/64gb tablet. The M11 doesn't seem to be that big of difference when it comes out in a month.

64gb will be plenty for the apps I will use it for. And any downloaded content can go on an SD card. I'll have to check to see if it can be rooted and can have a custom ROM on it so I can enable apps to be moved to the SD card. I think the storage will be the only issue I'll run into with it.
That's the gen 3, right? That should work about the same as mine in terms of the CPU and RAM. Let us know how you like it when you've had a chance to put it through its paces!

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
That's the gen 3, right? That should work about the same as mine in terms of the CPU and RAM. Let us know how you like it when you've had a chance to put it through its paces!
Yes it's the 3rd Gen. I am trying to cancel my order so I can order the 128gb instead. I should have done that to before with. It's only $20 more. For some reason I ordered the 64. Maybe I didn't see it initially on Lenovo's website.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's the 3rd Gen. I am trying to cancel my order so I can order the 128gb instead. I should have done that to before with. It's only $20 more. For some reason I ordered the 64. Maybe I didn't see it initially on Lenovo's website.
I wasn't able to cancel the order for the 64gb in time. Oh well. I'll make do with it. I'm sure it'll be enough storage for apps.

• Sad

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos