XOOM - Presale

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
awesome! hopefully the rumored $699 price for the HP Touchpad will knock some people back to reality.

The Xoom is a great piece of hardware, running an amazing OS, for the right price.
I don't think it will. The Touchpad is heavier, thicker, has a smaller screen with less resolution, has no back camera, no headphone jack, and lacks the ability to add memory. Not to mention Android will be the number one mobile OS on the planet very soon. No, XOOM is a slam dunk winner at $800 when you figure all that in. Mot will not budge just because of a $700 competitor is offering less hardware.

IMHO, the price war won't come until all the tablets are out... LG, Toshiba, HTC, etc... They will all want to get the highest prices from their early adoption fan bases, before anyone blinks on price.

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will. The Touchpad is heavier, thicker, has a smaller screen with less resolution, has no back camera, no headphone jack, and lacks the ability to add memory. Not to mention Android will be the number one mobile OS on the planet very soon. No, XOOM is a slam dunk winner at $800 when you figure all that in. Mot will not budge just because of a $700 competitor is offering less hardware.

IMHO, the price war won't come until all the tablets are out... LG, Toshiba, HTC, etc... They will all want to get the highest prices from their early adoption fan bases, before anyone blinks on price.

Motorola Xoom tablet may not stay at $800 - Los Angeles Gadgets | Examiner.com

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Good deal on the price drop that might happen. I can't see waiting 3 months to save 100 bucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ditto... 3 months and $100 savings? Not for me. By then you are further into the cycle of other new tablets coming out, might feel like waiting for one of those; then repeat, you'll never buy one. :D

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I'm still buying on arrival day.

I may have a more pressing issue to buy than others. I leave on a 20+ hour flight on the 26th. To say I hate that flight with the passion of 10,000 burning Suns would be an understatement. After the flight from hell, I'm actually in hell. The XOOM would represent an escape from both the flight and my destination.

Let me say this about the pre-buy:
I'm so excited! I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

Arun01

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got the Dell streak 7 which pretty much has the same specs as this tablet..minus 3 inches & a little ram..so why pay $500 more for this thing lol...Plus Honeycomb will be running on the Dell Streak 7 also...the Xoom won't be the only tablet to get that OS...what a waste of $800 lol

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I got the Dell streak 7 which pretty much has the same specs as this tablet..minus 3 inches & a little ram..so why pay $500 more for this thing lol...Plus Honeycomb will be running on the Dell Streak 7 also...the Xoom won't be the only tablet to get that OS...what a waste of $800 lol

I have the 5" Streak, and while it's a great device, I think you're kidding yourself if you think the Streak 7 has "pretty much the sames specs" as the Xoom. The Streak 7 has the same screen resolution as the 5" version - 800 x 480. It's also running Froyo with the lousy Dell Stage interface. The only way you'll ever see Honeycomb is if DJ_Steve, the only ROM developer for the Streaks, decides to do it. The majority of Streak owners are still stuck on 1.6 and waiting for AT&T and Dell to get their s--t together and put out the update. The battery life on the Streak 7 is horrific compared to the Galaxy Tab and iPad. And it's stuck on T-Mobile. The only benefit the Streak 7 has is price. It's not even a serious competitor to the Galaxy Tab, let alone the Xoom.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

Wait, I'm confused. I was saying that you get so much more for only $100 over the TouchPad. I don't think you read my comment right, because your reply is saying what I was saying.

I don't see how you could possibly think the Streak 7 is "pretty much the same" as the Xoom. The Xoom has advantages in screen size, screen resolution, internal storage capacity, RAM, HDMI output, 4G upgradable, and is only a 1/2mm thicker.

Hardly the same specs. Also, that "little bit of RAM" (er, double) will make a huge difference.

Does anyone know if you will be able to order online for the pre-sale?
I was wondering the same thing, but I don't really mind running into a store if I have to for the pre-order. Then again, it's only 7 minutes from my house.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait, I'm confused. I was saying that you get so much more for only $100 over the TouchPad. I don't think you read my comment right, because your reply is saying what I was saying.
You're confused only because I'm stupid. :-!

I misunderstood you. By "some people" I thought you were alluding to Motorola and implying they might reduce their price.

Nevermind. :-[

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
It looks like pre-orders will be in-store, not online. The graphic at the top of the tablets section of Best Buy's website states "Motorola Xoom Tablet available for pre-order this Thursday at Best Buy stores."

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It looks like pre-orders will be in-store, not online. The graphic at the top of the tablets section of Best Buy's website states "Motorola Xoom Tablet available for pre-order this Thursday at Best Buy stores."

I've never known best buy to do any sort of online pre-ordering.... so yes, thats correct.

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, the benefit of pre-ordering is that you are guaranteed to have a unit ready for you on the release date, correct?

Does it cost anything to pre-order outside of the fee for the device?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Just to be clear, the benefit of pre-ordering is that you are guaranteed to have a unit ready for you on the release date, correct?

Does it cost anything to pre-order outside of the fee for the device?

Just guarantee you a unit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiid