XOOM screen ripples and distortion - video

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ya if you look at his screen it looked like it was soft. Mine does not do that and I fore sure would be taking mine back if it did.

Reactions: Snake_915

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I started noticing this too while playing Angry Birds and initially thought it was a weird game animation. It got worse through the course of the night and now it is essentially constant if I hold it one-handed with my right hand.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Returned my Xoom to Best Buy today and got a new replacement. While I was waiting I checked out the floor model and it was having the same problems. I am concerned this might be a "you are holding it wrong" thing like the iPhone 4.

I never used a portfolio or gel case with my Xoom - any else having this problem? For me it was worst when I was holding it with only right hand.

Snake_915

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me only when I press hard enough. It is also in the same spot as in the video. Also when I would hold the xoom with only my right hand it would happen because of the added pressure doing so puts on the screen. Now when I wanna hold it with one hand I make sure to put my thumb on the edge of the screen (the black part). Not a problem for me though because it doesn't do that through regular use, only in the aforementioned circumstances.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Exchanged it at Best Buy today and I am having the same issue with my replacement. Also was able to replicate it on the display model they had out.

My first Xoom was purchased about 60 miles away so all 3 were certainly not off the same pallet.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How hard are pressing down. I have two xooms and I can make it happen by pressing down hard but I do not see it during regular operation. This is typical on these typed of screens... it happens on my pad 1 and pad number two.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The first time it happened I was sitting on my couch with my Xoom sitting on my legs holding it with 2 hands and playing Angry Birds. In that situation that majority of the devices weight was supported by my legs.

With regard to the store model I just walked up and picked it up with only my right hand.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How hard are pressing down. I have two xooms and I can make it happen by pressing down hard but I do not see it during regular operation. This is typical on these typed of screens... it happens on my pad 1 and pad number two.

I agree that you can get this to happen with enough force but what is strange to me is how much easier it is on the right side of the device as opposed to the left where it resembles my wife's ipad.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Exchanged it at Best Buy today and I am having the same issue with my replacement. Also was able to replicate it on the display model they had out.

My first Xoom was purchased about 60 miles away so all 3 were certainly not off the same pallet.

So... you've only come into contact with three XOOM units and all three units do this?

We have three XOOMs (my wife, my son, and I). It's not happening to ours... luckily.

This seems like it's a display maker issue. By design, the displays are supposed to withstand more strain then the glass will exhibit under a reasonable/normal stress.

Or it could be a glass maker issue, where the glass strain is greater than design specs indicate it should be.

Also, make sure you're not abusing the tablet. These things aren't steel plates after all. The majority of the rigidity of all tablets (no exceptions) comes primarily from the display and glass. If these are stressed beyond reasonable limits, especially during transport, all bets are off. People may be surprised to find out that notebook computers can take more stress than tablets... anybody's tablets/pads.

BTW, I'm using the engineering definitions of stress and strain, not colloquial.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
So... you've only come into contact with three XOOM units and all three units do this?

We have three XOOMs (my wife, my son, and I). It's not happening to ours... luckily.

This seems like it's a display maker issue. By design, the displays are supposed to withstand more strain then the glass will exhibit under a reasonable/normal stress.

Or it could be a glass maker issue, where the glass strain is greater than design specs indicate it should be.

Also, make sure you're not abusing the tablet. These things aren't steel plates after all. The majority of the rigidity of all tablets (no exceptions) comes primarily from the display and glass. If these are stressed beyond reasonable limits, especially during transport, all bets are off. People may be surprised to find out that notebook computers can take more stress than tablets... anybody's tablets/pads.

BTW, I'm using the engineering definitions of stress and strain, not colloquial.

I have tried to take excellent care of the device especially because I knew that I wanted to use it without a portfolio-type case so I took great care to set it down gently and keep it in a slip case whenever I wasn't using it.

The new one I exchanged for today isn't as bad as the other two so I may try to see if I can find a slim rigid case for it that will help distribute any load on the back of the device.

GroktheCube

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine does that in about a 2" square area on the right side of the screen, but only when it is pressed quite hard. I've stopped using the Motorolla Portfolio case, because it seems that the pressure it puts on the screen leaves the chromatic distortion on the screen. If I tip it around or touch once or twice it goes away, but I'm worried that it could cause some sort of permanent damage. I'm contemplating packing everything up and taking it back to Verizon to see if they'll exchange it for one without the screen defect, assuming the defect is with the screen, and not the case.

bmetomd

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
This effect is much better on the replacement Xoom that I got. For me it is most common if there is pressure on the front and back simultaneously. I am going to get the Incipio Silicrylic Hard Case as soon as it is available in the hopes that it will help support the frame and distribute force along the back surface.

With regard to the previous question about Angry Birds: I was aiming with my left thumb and then activating abilities with my right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC