Ya'll ever feel like ICS is a step backwards?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Love the repeated comments about "whining" and get used to it. Nice way to dismiss people's real concerns and opinions. :( I disagree about the cost factor or that soft buttons will take over and capacitive will go away. It would be a short sighted move and hurt sales.

It won't hurt anything. Even the whiners (and that's exactly what this thread has turned into) will continue to buy Android devices regardless of what changes Google makes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt anything. Even the whiners (and that's exactly what this thread has turned into) will continue to buy Android devices regardless of what changes Google makes.

Again with the whiners? Nice... :( What you're saying sounds like something many accuse Apple fans of doing (iSheep).... ;) Anyway, it's been a fun discussion. We'll have to agree to disagree. :)

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
This is a good read about ICS even if you are not a developer. For example in ICS the menu dots at the bottom are intended to continue to provide functionality for apps that were written for andriod 2.3 and below.
Apps written for ICS and above are supposed to use the menu options provided at the top of the screen, so this is why we are seeing menu options at the top and also at the bottom.

Also it seems that ICS will only display soft keys if the phone does not have hard keys.

There has been a lot of thought put into how ICS looks and functions No it's not the same...Yes it is new.

Take a look at this link. It's a long read but I enjoyed reading the entire thing(OK I develop computer applications but not for phone so maybe I am just a geek!)

Android Design - Welcome

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
To put it bluntly: to continue on in the same direction that they had been going would have ensured stagnation, and in turn, losing the war with Apple. Users will adapt to the changes, as they always have. If they don't, they're not customers worth keeping. .

Loosing to Apple? Haven't you been paying attention to the hundreds of thousands of unique activations a DAY Android has? Android is Bludgeoning them to death, you can't argue with numbers. Yes Android doesn't have any single device that can produce the numbers iPhone has but it DOESN'T''T matter. The platform as a whole is kicking iOS's butt.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ha. Sorry bud, but whether you or others here like it or not, ICS IS android now. The old ways are dead and aren't coming back, so you better get used to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing is forever in software development and, it is possible that if Google gets enough feedback they could change something back or re add features they removed.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
It isn't a step backwards. Long press is a stupid way to interact with a small screen device in many different ways.

In YOUR opinion

Just because the method of doing something is different, doesn't mean its a backwards step. If they had removed the functionality that the long press leads to, you might have a point. As it stands now, its just whining because its different than what you're used to.

No but when you remove features or make things harder to do then it does.

You guys seriously just need to accept it and move on. It isn't changing, and it isn't coming back. If you hate it so much, go buy a 2.3 device and never let it update. That's the only way you'll get what you miss back.

We have the right to express our opinions (as do you). If you dont like it you don't have to reply to us.

This last statement seems to imply that you think that the added features of overlays like Sense an TouchWiz are going away with Sense and that simply isn't the case. Look at the leaked builds for the GSII and Rezound. Sense and TouchWix on top of ICS. We shall see what the final release looks like but, to say that we are not getting the features we want back seems more than a little premature.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Loosing to Apple? Haven't you been paying attention to the hundreds of thousands of unique activations a DAY Android has? Android is Bludgeoning them to death, you can't argue with numbers. Yes Android doesn't have any single device that can produce the numbers iPhone has but it DOESN'T''T matter. The platform as a whole is kicking iOS's butt.

Here's the problem: had android continued on the same path as 2.3, without the significant changes of 4.0, people would lose interest quickly. I know we're on an android forum, but lets get real. Pre ICS android was not as good as iOS in the ways that matters to consumers. With a wholly new iPhone coming, and apple looking to spruce up iOS itself, Google could not afford to give apple an opening.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

It would be 700,000 activations per day. But your "bludgeoning them to death" is pretty naive. Apple sales of iPhones is up and, more importantly, their profits are higher than ever. Apple never really strives to be number one in market share, they just strive to be number one in profits. Which they are.

The one making a killing, however, is Microsoft. Unlike Apple, Microsoft doesn't sue Android phone makers for violating patents, they negotiate deals with them. Microsoft now makes about $6 on 70% of all the Android phones activated. While Google makes absolutely nothing on those 700,000 activations per day, Microsoft is making about $4.2 million per day. Well over $1 billion per year on Android activations. This makes Apple look like the fool by suing instead of settling.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
In YOUR opinion

And Duartes, and Rubins, and Pages, and Schmidt's, and Jobs and so on and so on.

Sorry. It was idiotic in original android and its idiotic now.

No but when you remove features or make things harder to do then it does.

Except its not 'harder', its just different.

We have the right to express our opinions (as do you). If you dont like it you don't have to reply to us.

This last statement seems to imply that you think that the added features of overlays like Sense an TouchWiz are going away with Sense and that simply isn't the case. Look at the leaked builds for the GSII and Rezound. Sense and TouchWix on top of ICS. We shall see what the final release looks like but, to say that we are not getting the features we want back seems more than a little premature.
Oh, they aren't. But they will be adopting the conventions of ICS. (Especially the lighter skins like not blur and touchwiz) Hell, touchwiz already has a similar implementation of Widgets as ics has. But no, the features you miss won't come back, no matter how much you want them to.

EDIT: I'll give you the last word, but I think we should stop the back and forth since we're not getting anywhere. We clearly disagree, and its not really productive.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Here's the problem: had android continued on the same path as 2.3, without the significant changes of 4.0, people would lose interest quickly. I know we're on an android forum, but lets get real. Pre ICS android was not as good as iOS in the ways that matters to consumers. With a wholly new iPhone coming, and apple looking to spruce up iOS itself, Google could not afford to give apple an opening.

Um other than Siri what did they add with iOS 5 that wasnt in at least one other platform?

It would be 700,000 activations per day. But your "bludgeoning them to death" is pretty naive. Apple sales of iPhones is up and, more importantly, their profits are higher than ever. Apple never really strives to be number one in market share, they just strive to be number one in profits. Which they are.

I was talking about pure sales numbers here and not profit. When you talk about how Apple is selling how many million handsets in a weekend, a month, a year and then you talk about android activating (and these are all new activations, not IMEI/SMI card changes) a DAY you can't really compare the two.

As for prfit, Google doesnt make their money from handset sales (they sell one phone, and we dont even know how much of the money the OEM who makes it for them (Samsung in this case) hands over to them) they make their money from search. Everhthing Google does from Google Maps to Gmail to Android all leads back to search.

EDIT: I'll give you the last word, but I think we should stop the back and forth since we're not getting anywhere. We clearly disagree, and its not really productive.

Finally something in this thread we can agree on. You continue to use the very judgemental and relative term idiodic is startimg to get on my nerves and I am sure others as well.

We shall see who is right in the coming weeks and months as the OEM's release their updated for ICS skins but so far the leaked builds have been described as "sense 3.5 on top of ICS" and "Touchwiz 4 on top of ICS" so it does not look like they are in a hurry to reverse engineer their skins. And any software developers (and that's what Google is is a software developer) worth their salt listen to their users and take their feedback into afccount in new versions. Sometimes they go with user's suggestions other times they ignore them or do something completely different. But again we shall see.

mattbourge

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Long live Android!!!!! ICS is just what android needed to dominate iOS!!! But no matter how close to perfect android gets, the iPeople will always be willing to over pay for outdated devices and be on apple's short leash!!! Haha

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think we forget that everyone else is essentially playing catch up.

It was like a year when non iphones got youtube.

Look at macbook airs. CES shows that they're just now coming out wit ultra light and thin notebooks.

Don't you think that iphone 5 will have game changers albeit non customizable. But what if they solve the battery/4G issues. Too me although I have a GNex it's not like i'm gonna be loyal to a brand if that were the case I'd get the new Nokia. But I like that competition keeps technology moving.

In the end the world has bigger things to deal with, like the US congress and the economy (those fools) and world issue. We're all just being petty.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I was talking about pure sales numbers here and not profit. When you talk about how Apple is selling how many million handsets in a weekend, a month, a year and then you talk about android activating (and these are all new activations, not IMEI/SMI card changes) a DAY you can't really compare the two.

Ok, then it would be appropriate for me to say the Ford Fiesta is bludgeoning Mercedes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemal