Your Top 5 Android Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

galatians51

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
iSilo is a great app that I have used on every mobile platform I have ever had (Palm, WM, BB, iPhone)...
You can download free books, and the desktop client will grab internet articles or even entire websites and convert them for later viewing, you can set it for specific times of day to grab the article...

iSilo

mldiroff

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I like Car Mode - touch the icon and it changes your incoming phone calls to speakerphone (I don't use bluetooth.) - you can turn it on and off from the notification bar.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Best apps no one knows about:

NoteEverything (especially paid Pro version): yes, I know everyone makes a fuss about Evernote, but I like this better. Textnotes, Paintnotes, Photonotes, Checklists, Reusable Checklists, storage to SD card, excellent develper support.

Not to mention a free plugin that allows import/export to GDocs, even under the free version :D

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I might end up with a list of more than 5, but these are my most frequently used apps:

Evernote
Newsroom
Soundhound
Artis Fancy Contacts Widget
Android Agenda Widget
Lithium Music Player
Kindle

Oh, and the Quit Smoking app is a wealth of useful information too. I've save $481 since June 7! LOL

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
gDocs Notes (it syncs)
gTasks (it syncs)
Keepass Droid
Flixster
Pandora

For the 3rd party apps that sync to Google, are you affraid of the security implications of the apps having your Google access?

Google does so much, that it sees scary to let others (less established) gain that access indirectly.

eyesparky

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
How about a good facebook app? I can't seem to find a decent one :(

I am using the Welcome to Facebook | Facebook (facebook touch site) ... gives a better UI than the Android version of facebook and should be able to be updated independent of platform. Only glitch I have encountered is that only some of the contacts are listed in a page and the right side arrow to go to more is not selectable. I tend to search for a contact anyway, so not a deal breaker. Worth a look.

There is a case for a number of web centric apps to be replaced by well thought out, touch based mobile sites but that is a wider debate ...

prubin

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
"ireader" is a good book reader. "Calendar in status" bar is nice. "Col reminder" a nice alarm app. "FireKeys unlimited" is pricey but really helps, especially since I am not used to the onscreen keyboard. It enables you to create your own dictionary and generally makes typing much easier. . I like "group ringtones", can set ringers for all members of a group. "Spillmap" -- i live on the Gulf and this tracks the spill. "No lock" does what it says; the switch on the EVO is such that an accidental turn on is not likely. "World Watch" is good for travel -- gives time and weather for lots of cities. "autorotate on-off" toggles autorotate. Mostly found and installed usieng "AppBrain"

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I always have to pimp Orb, it's a great concept - stream your media over the Internet to anywhere. There's an app (I bought it) but you can also try browser access, apparently works very well on Flash/Froyo. You'll need a client running on your home computer (free).

The Tricorder app is great. Puts my CA friend's iPhone seismograph app to shame and wins extra geek points.

I've got a few techie apps no one seems interested in, but they're worth mentioning just to get them some attention. Bye Bye v4 helps to pass the time until IPv6-ready LTE is available. The dev for VirtualBox Manager needs some love.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
iRT Calendar replacement app: Makes Google calendar do so much more in a nice UI

LOVE it! Can't believe it isn't a "hot" app. No other calendar compares. I was using DateBk on my Palm years ago and couldn't live without it. This is very similar.

yahtzee

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I am using the Welcome to Facebook | Facebook (facebook touch site) ... gives a better UI than the Android version of facebook and should be able to be updated independent of platform. Only glitch I have encountered is that only some of the contacts are listed in a page and the right side arrow to go to more is not selectable. I tend to search for a contact anyway, so not a deal breaker. Worth a look.

There is a case for a number of web centric apps to be replaced by well thought out, touch based mobile sites but that is a wider debate ...

Wow, that is awesome. thanks.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've had my phone for several months here's my updated top 5.

Launcher Pro
- A kick butt replacement launcher
APNDroid - Turn on and off carrier data, only works with GSM phones
Tasker - The swiss army knife of apps, if you want to automate something on your phone, Tasker can most likely do it.
Rainy Days - A weather app to display radar images. Works very well.
KeePassDroid w/ Drop Box - Technically this is two, but using KeePass w/ Drop Box just rocks. My database stays in sync with all my machines and since it lives in the cloud it's backed up.

G

GenericMessage

Good Morning: I've been playing around with this one for a few days, it's an awesome alarm app called Good Morning, you can set it to read outloud custom text, the weather report for your area, play a song, a bunch of different alarms noises, and even tell you the temperature in Kelvins. And it's got snooze! Best alarm I've found on Android yet.

Looks like the dev released a pay version in the last day or two that adds in the ability to read calendar entries. Haven't tried that out yet, but they've been adding features and doing bug fixes fairly regularly since I first discovered it a couple of weeks ago.

really snazzy!

sethjk

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
RunKeeper - route, miles, calories, rate, cadence. Awesome. Nobody seems to know about this one.

Personally I use Cardio Trainer but willing to give this one a try. But, shouldn't people know abou this- isn't it the one on the Droid commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky