YouTube background plays not working

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
YouTube video used to play in the background when i switch to another app. I am not sure if the recent update has anything to do with this or it now requires a YouTube Premium membership?

i actually was able to play it in the background ONCE. then after i closed the video, open YouTube, switch to another app, YouTube crashes, thus the video no longer plays in the background. of course, i cleared cache and restart the phone, it works once, then crashes again.

any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimboo84

May 18, 2022
Visit site
I've noticed this some time ago too on my S22U Exynos... Even after resetting the YT's storage the problem is there. I don't see any options to continue your vid in the background. Go in the YT app settings and drop a review at the Google Play Store, devs check there often. Maybe based on your review they will fix it

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I've noticed this some time ago too on my S22U Exynos... Even after resetting the YT's storage the problem is there. I don't see any options to continue your vid in the background. Go in the YT app settings and drop a review at the Google Play Store, devs check there often. Maybe based on your review they will fix it

thanks for your reply. at least i know i am not the only one experiencing this.

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
As long as it minimize mode and stays like that on the screen it will play otherwise need a subscription

is the subscription a recent thing with YouTube? i was trying to understand when this subscription started because i thought it was an issue with my phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
is the subscription a recent thing with YouTube? i was trying to understand when this subscription started because i thought it was an issue with my phone.
Im not sure when subscription thing started but ive been on subscription for 2 or 3 years i couldn't deal with AD'S

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Android Central does not allow discussion of any illegal apps that steal paid service for free. Any further discussion will be subject to ban.

If you want to use YouTube without ads or in background you'll need to subscribe to YouTube Premium.