ZeroLemon 5000mAh Battery Case for Note 9 review

kcodya

May 22, 2011
Visit site
With a 4000mah battery, the Galaxy Note 9 has proven to be in the top echelon of endurance among Android phones, however for road warriors, marathon gamers, or folks stranded in the Mojave desert even more battery power may be required. That’s what the ZeroLemon 5000mah battery case promises. Is trading your phone’s svelte good looks for marathon battery life a winning proposition? Read on.

Design and build quality:
You’re not getting anything fancy here. The case is solid black in color with the company’s branding on the rear. The back of the case is constructed of hard plastic with a soft touch coating, while the top and sides surrounding the phone is made of a soft, TPU material. As far as thickness goes, yes, your phone will inch closer to brick-like status while the case is attached, but the tapering at the top and sides of the case help slim it out a bit. Also appreciated is the absence of wobble when the phone is laid flat.
The case is built solidly enough, however the soft touch material seems to scuff easily. I dropped the phone once during the review period from approximately knee-height, and I noticed several dings in the rear corners. I would have also preferred the TPU lip to extend a bit more over the front of the phone, as the very slight lip may not provide much protection if your phone happens to drop screen-first.

Features:
The phone slips easily enough onto the USB-C connector and securely into the case. Be aware, you will not be able to transfer data via USB nor use NFC while the case is attached. While being unable to use NFC is understandable due to the thickness of the case, it’s a bit disappointing that data transfer is blocked.

Battery life:
I started my test by fully charging both the phone and the case, then drained the phone’s battery down to around 5% (see attached pic), which lasted for an impressive 1 day and 3 hours, by the way. I then activated the ZeroLemon battery, which is accomplished by holding down the button on the rear for 3 seconds. 4 LED lights on the back indicate activation and current battery level. Unfortunately, even with the promise of a 5000 mAh battery, I was not able to completely charge the phone, with the ZeroLemon battery tapping out around 85%.
Screenshot_20180908-181337_Settings.jpg

Conclusion:
For $30, the ZeroLemon 5000 mAh battery case is a decent buy for those who need even more juice out of the already outstanding Note 9 battery. Yes, there are a few shortcomings, mainly the lack of data transfer and the smaller than expected battery capacity, but if you need to squeeze even more out of your battery, this case may be worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej