Just got a rooted thunderbolt with sense. Advice please?

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I just traded my iphone 4 for a rooted tbolt. I am loving it.

Pros: customization, SPEED, google integration, SPEED, nice big screen, did I say SPEED?
Usb tethering to a computer via pdanet is blazing fast

Cons: sirius xm app not working? It gets caught with a spinning wheel loop.
Unfamiliar with android and especially rooting? Anything I need to know about updating or not pdating software or apps? Any advice on the transition from ios to sense? Any advice on syncing to my mac?
Multitasking seems weak compared to ios. Am is missing something here?
So sorry for being such a noob, this is all very new to me and i dont want to brick the phone. Wifi tethering to computer or tablet via barnacle is very slow, difference between download speeds on usb tethering vs. Wifi tethering is 18-20mbps to 1-2 mbps.

Thanks guys!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have never used ios or a mac so I'm not going to be very helpful beside letting you know if you search around the forums here you will find a ton of information that should make your transistion as easy as possible. Welcome to Android Central :)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to AC.. a good place to start is the "General Help & How To" and "Tips & Tricks" threads... both are in my signature below... that should cover any questions on multitasking and making the transition from another platform along with everything else there is to know about Android.

As for rooting... check out the "Thunderbolt Rooting, ROM & Hack" thread.... you will find everything you need to know about rooting in the stickies at the top of the page.
Here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/

If you need further help on general questions about the phone... feel free to ask, you can post them in this area.
For any questions involving rooting or hacking the phone... post them in the sub forum for hacking.. provided in the link above.

clintmbrannon

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I've had similar issues with the Sirius/XM app. Every once in a while it will just work...out of the blue. But it seems totally random when it does. I'd say 95% of the time I get the loading circle just as you described. I usually try clearing the data and logging in again. Methinks it might be time for them to update the app... It's only had like 1 update since release.

ssethv

ANDROID OBSESSED
Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the club ;) don't apologize for being a Noob, everyone starts out somewhere, your in the right place for anything and everything android!!!

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I just traded my iphone 4 for a rooted tbolt. I am loving it.

Pros: customization, SPEED, google integration, SPEED, nice big screen, did I say SPEED?
Usb tethering to a computer via pdanet is blazing fast

Cons: sirius xm app not working? It gets caught with a spinning wheel loop.
Unfamiliar with android and especially rooting? Anything I need to know about updating or not pdating software or apps? Any advice on the transition from ios to sense? Any advice on syncing to my mac?
Multitasking seems weak compared to ios. Am is missing something here?
So sorry for being such a noob, this is all very new to me and i dont want to brick the phone. Wifi tethering to computer or tablet via barnacle is very slow, difference between download speeds on usb tethering vs. Wifi tethering is 18-20mbps to 1-2 mbps.

Thanks guys!

Regarding the multitasking, the O/S is built from the ground up for multitasking, but the interface does leave something to be desired. One tip is to hold the "home" button down for about 1.5 seconds, and the most recent used program icons pop up on the screen - makes it quick to switch between apps.

For Sirius xm, you may want to google search and see if there are any tips. This may be something specific to the TB, or to the version of android you have on your phone.

For tethering, I prefer "wireless tether". You need to search the market using wifi, not the cell radio, to find it (or use a google search for "google wireless tether" - the app can be downloaded from a google server and then installed manually). Verizon strongarmed google and/or the developer into not making the app available on the market for verizon phones, but there are easy ways around that.

After you are a little more comfortable with the rooting and custom rom world, you can try out some of the custom sense 3.0 roms.

Welcome!

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The Sirius XM App has been working pretty well for me. I've been on Froyo, and two different builds of Gingerbread with it working in the past couple weeks. It loses the connection after a while of use, but I'm pretty happy with it.

If you are new to the rooting world then you've come to the right place. The sticky guides here that Cyber Warrior mentioned have all the info you need to know about the whole process of flashing ROMS/Radios, and the proper way to backup and restore data. I just wish all this stuff was laid out to me when I first started :-\

Good luck

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
As far as updates go, feel free to update apps all you want, but you do want to avoid any Verizon OS updates...at least if you want to keep root.

Once you get a little more used to the device and Android, you may want to check out the threads on installing new ROMs...that's how we rooted users generally keep our devices up to date.

thechidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded wireless tether, getting 10 mbps down now consistently. LOVE this phone. Getting around better with multi taking now. Only thing im working on is a better browser experience now and getting sirus working. I might just drop sirius now anyway though and listen for free on xiilive anyway :p

Im not a huge gamer, but do you think more big name games like ea sports etc will be coming to android market soon? Seems to be the only thing lagging behind apple at this point that ive noticed

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Downloaded wireless tether, getting 10 mbps down now consistently. LOVE this phone. Getting around better with multi taking now. Only thing im working on is a better browser experience now and getting sirus working. I might just drop sirius now anyway though and listen for free on xiilive anyway :p

Im not a huge gamer, but do you think more big name games like ea sports etc will be coming to android market soon? Seems to be the only thing lagging behind apple at this point that ive noticed

EA has ported a bunch of games over. There's a lot of decent games out there, keep an eye on the Amazon market free give aways. A lot of the big developers are releasing their apps there to start, and they're free for the first day(Plants vs Zombies for example). I've personally found that the market seems to have a lot more games only because the process of getting apps in the market isn't a cluster f like with Apple, doesn't mean they're quality apps but apps none the less.