Cant get into recovery (please help)

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I just want to start off by saying I am new to rooting and flashing roms. I successfully rooted my TB and flashed a ROM through ROM Manager (cyanogenMod 7.1.0-RC1.4). I noticed I didn't have any service so I went through rom manager and reloaded my original backup. I did some research and thought it was because I didn't have the correct radio. I downloaded the next ROM and flashed it. It did the same thing (no service). I decided I needed to do a little more research before I try and flash another ROM, so tried to revert back to my backup that was made (the most recent backup after downloading the second rom). When it rebooted, it just stayed off. I waited a long time and then plugged it into the computer and saw that it charged (light came on). I then pushed the power button and it got stuck in a cycle (white screen with htc and then shut off, rebooted to white htc screen, and kept repeating). Here is where I need the help...

I pressed power + down volume to get into the bootloader so I could go into recovery and get my backup that way. Once the screen came on, it would not let me volume down to recovery. It went right into fastboot and then asked me if I wanted to update. I have done this many times with the same results each time.

Any suggestions on how to get my original backup?

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
More than likely you have a file on your SD Card in the root of the card that is named PG05IMG.zip

You need to rename that file or remove the file... use some type of USB SD card adapter to put your SD card into and connect to your PC... rename or delete the file... this will stop the automatic booting cycle and allow you get into Recovery.

Reactions: sschreibeis

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! That worked, but now I have a different problem. I went to recovery, went to backup and restore, clicked restore, and clicked the backup that I wanted. It said I couldn't do that and then went back to the loop described earlier. So I thought that I would need to wipe everything first so I went into recovery, clicked on wipe data/factory reset and it started to go through the process of doing it and then the screen went black and it started back with the loop. Any suggestions?

It is almost like it goes into the loop at a specific amount of time.

Last edited:

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I didn't read that exact one but I was familar with it. I used the download ROM on ROM Manager and when it was downloaded, it gave me a window with three boxes. I checked all three and hit ok. I don't remember the choices but I know it was supposed to do all of that.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read that exact one but I was familar with it. I used the download ROM on ROM Manager and when it was downloaded, it gave me a window with three boxes. I checked all three and hit ok. I don't remember the choices but I know it was supposed to do all of that.

If it's not working, then do it exactly how the thread says... that is the way I learned how to do it... do it manually through Recovery, and not through ROM Manager... except have ROM Manager start Recovery.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey fat boy,
why would my phone not be reading my sim card? Phone went hay wire on liquid thunder and just lost everything. Data phone etc

I have no idea why it would not read the SIM Card... when you wipe data, cache and Dalvik cache you will wipe your phone's data. But if you say it went "hay wire" then it doesn't sound like it went well... so you should probably do it again... did you check the MD5Sum code from the ROM you downloaded before you started flashing the ROM???

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Before you sent it, I actually tried to do it exactly as it said (go to reboot, click on backup and restore, clicked on restore, clicked on my file back up that had the date and time), the problem was when it would start, a couple seconds later it would go black and then reboot to the htc screen then back off, etc. It just isn't letting me have any time to do anything before it starts to reboot on its own.

I know this is probably frustrating for you. I am sorry, I am just at a loss here. Would a factory restart help (hopefully it isn't a dumb question)?

Last edited:

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the link. Before you sent it, I actually tried to do it exactly s it said, the problem was when it would start, a couple seconds later it would go black and then reboot to the htc screen then back off, etc.

I am at a loss here. Would a factory restart help (hopefully it isn't a dumb question)?

Read the entire thread before starting this...

Ok... here is what I'd do... there is a way around it...

You should start from scratch... delete the ROMs you downloaded... download the ROM fresh, check the MD5Sum code, put it on your SD Card... power OFF your device... let it sit for 30 seconds... hold down the Volume down button, and hold that while you press the Power button... hold them both for about 5 seconds and your device will boot up into what is called hboot, it's a White screen... use the volume down and up to change the selection, select Recovery, Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache... Go Back > Install Zip from SD... find the ROM zip file... install it.

If you are installing CM7 you do need to download the GAPPS file... and load this just like you did the ROM... then boot up after these two zip files are installed... if you are coming from Stock ROM I sure hope you downloaded a new Radio... you can install that... you will need to have that installed before you will get any data.

To flash the radio, rename the zip to PG05IMG.zip if it's not already and place it on the root of your SD Card. Boot into Bootloader: power off your phone... Turn the phone back on by holding down the volume down rocker and the power button at the same time until the phone opens in bootloader. The zip should start running and updating the radio. Once done reboot the phone on and remove the PG05IMG.zip from your phone or move it off the root of the sd card in another folder. If its not moved after the installation it will constantly keep trying to update the radio if you ever need to boot into bootloader again to get to recovery.

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Read the entire thread before starting this... Ok... here is what I'd do... there is a way around it... You should start from scratch... delete the ROMs you downloaded... download the ROM fresh, check the MD5Sum code, put it on your SD Card... power OFF your device... let it sit for 30 seconds... hold down the Volume down button, and hold that while you press the Power button... hold them both for about 5 seconds and your device will boot up into what is called hboot, it's a White screen... use the volume down and up to change the selection, select Recovery, Wipe Data, Wipe Cache, Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache... Go Back > .

Ok, I am sorry to be a pain, but I just wanted to clear up some things. All of this above I have already tried except deleting the old ROMs (won't let me continue with any of them because the phone automatically reboots in the middle of it). I don't know how to delete those and get a new ROM becasue I can't get into my phone. Is there a way I can do this on my computer with a card reader?

Also, I really don't care about the new ROM. I will be happy with my stock ROM if I can get it back. I did back up with Titanium and also have a nandroid backup file (just won't allow me enough time to restore it).

I do appreciate all your time you are giving me.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would put the card in the CPU via usb / card reader - then reformat the card for FAT32 - next, replace the card in phone with ROM file on it. Then try to boot into recovery, clear data, cache, dalvik, and then format system under mounts and storage. Then flash the ROM .zip file.

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I would put the card in the CPU via usb / card reader - then reformat the card for FAT32 - next, replace the card in phone with ROM file on it. Then try to boot into recovery, clear data, cache, dalvik, and then format system under mounts and storage. Then flash the ROM .zip file.

Sorry, but what is "FAT32". I am not familar with that. If I reformat the card, won't that erase everything off of it?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Fat32 is the format type -
It will erase everything but you can copy the contents over to the CPU first, then replace them carefully bc you might have a corrupted file in there.

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Fat32 is the format type -
It will erase everything but you can copy the contents over to the CPU first, then replace them carefully bc you might have a corrupted file in there.

Ok, that makes sense. Could I just format the card with FAT32, copy back all the files except the ones that I downloaded, and then restore my backup? Would that work?

Also, do you know where the files are stored when you download a ROM from ROM Manager?

PapaSmurf6768

Themer
Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, that makes sense. Could I just format the card with FAT32, copy back all the files except the ones that I downloaded, and then restore my backup? Would that work?

Also, do you know where the files are stored when you download a ROM from ROM Manager?
RM files are stored in /sdcard/clockworkmod/download (I think).
I agree w/ the format SD Card thing. A couple tips: ALWAYS check MD5. I use a really easy program, takes only a couple seconds. I'll attach it for you. Second, when you're installing anything, do it through recovery, it'll save you a lot of grief in the end. Also, when you wipe, a lot of people forget to format /system under mounts and storage. Sorry I can't offer any more help, hope this gets solved soon!

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
RM files are stored in /sdcard/clockworkmod/download (I think).
I agree w/ the format SD Card thing. A couple tips: ALWAYS check MD5. I use a really easy program, takes only a couple seconds. I'll attach it for you. Second, when you're installing anything, do it through recovery, it'll save you a lot of grief in the end. Also, when you wipe, a lot of people forget to format /system under mounts and storage. Sorry I can't offer any more help, hope this gets solved soon!

Well, I did not check MD5 and did not know about it until now. I also did everything throught ROM Manager and should have just did it myself. It was my first time and after looking into it, it looked like that was the easiest way to go. I am going to try the sd card format. Hopefully it works.

The only thing I am confused about is what not to put back on the sd card??? Do I just clear everything out of /sdcard/clockworkmod/download?
Also, Alls I want to do is revert back to my original backup. I originally flashed a ROM and reverted back to it so I know it works. Should I just go into recovery, wipe everything, and then try to restore the backup?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did not check MD5 and did not know about it until now. I also did everything throught ROM Manager and should have just did it myself. It was my first time and after looking into it, it looked like that was the easiest way to go. I am going to try the sd card format. Hopefully it works.

The only thing I am confused about is what not to put back on the sd card??? Do I just clear everything out of /sdcard/clockworkmod/download?
Also, Alls I want to do is revert back to my original backup. I originally flashed a ROM and reverted back to it so I know it works. Should I just go into recovery, wipe everything, and then try to restore the backup?

You might be better off reflashing the ROM after a full wipe of everything, but if you want to you can just copy back the entire ROM manager folder after the card format, then boot into recovery mode and restore the backup you want.

Gotta check md5s especially for radios to make sure the file is complete.

Gl.

As far as what not to put back, that's hard to say bc who knows if or what could be corrupted. If it were me, I would just start fresh and flash the ROM all over again, then make a new nandroid when you have it set up to your liking, this way you know what ya have is good.

sschreibeis

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
You might be better off reflashing the ROM after a full wipe of everything, but if you want to you can just copy back the entire ROM manager folder after the card format, then boot into recovery mode and restore the backup you want.

Gotta check md5s especially for radios to make sure the file is complete.

Gl.

As far as what not to put back, that's hard to say bc who knows if or what could be corrupted. If it were me, I would just start fresh and flash the ROM all over again, then make a new nandroid when you have it set up to your liking, this way you know what ya have is good.

Thank you for all your help. So do you think that it is a corrupted file that is not letting me do anything in recovery? Everytime I try to do something, I only have a few seconds before it automatically reboots and goes back to the HTC white screen.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for all your help. So do you think that it is a corrupted file that is not letting me do anything in recovery? Everytime I try to do something, I only have a few seconds before it automatically reboots and goes back to the HTC white screen.

It's possible that your card is corrupted, which could ve caused by a corrupted file, but i can't be sure exactly what it is bc its your phone and i don't know what you actually have done, you know...
But, formatting your card could solve the issue, its definitely worth a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty