HTC USB driver installer hangs

amangalick

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
In preparation for rooting, I have been trying to install the HTC USB driver, but it hangs every time (over 10 tries).

Each time I run the driver installer, the CPU goes up to nearly 100% and sits there until I kill some processes. The one that eats up CPU is msiexec 32-bit, of which there are 2 or 3 running at once. I kill the others first and nothing happens. Then I kill the one that is eating up CPU, and suddenly an installer window opens and appears to make some progress. But then it hangs. After 10 minutes of nothing happening, I give up and kill all the msiexec processes and the ISBEW64 processes. That seems to do the trick.

On occasion, after killing all the processes this way and then running the installer again, the installer will ask me whether to repair or remove. Repairing results in the same hit on CPU as before. Removal results in the same hit on CPU as well. I then tried using CCleaner to remove the driver, but it also hangs when one of the msiexec processes jams up the CPU.

I've also tried to use the HTC Sync Installer. The first time, it said it needed to install MSXML 4.0 SP3 and Adobe Air. Those installations succeeded. Then two more installations had to take place: HTC BMP USB Driver 1.0.5735 (64-bit) and HTC Driver Installer 3.0.0.018. The first of these two succeeded, but the second hung the same way as described above. Cancelling using Cancel button does not resolve the hang.

I would say that I'm tearing my hair out trying to get the USB driver installed, but I'm already bald, so now I'm doubly frustrated! :mad: :confused: :'(

I am sure the driver is not installed, because when I connect the phone via USB, the Device Manager says that I have a an ADB device, but the drivers are not installed. I am doing this on a Win 7 64-bit laptop. I also have a Win XP virtual machine which can access any USB devices through the host OS. Should I just suck it up and use the Win XP VM?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95