External keyboard

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the review of the keyboard. The other accessory I am interested in is the:
Amazon.com: Toshiba Thrive Multi-Dock with HDMI for 10.1-Inch Tablet (PA3934U-1PRP): Electronics
I can see that it requires a different AC adapter (PA3922U-1ARA), but otherwise, do you (anyone) think it is compatible with the 305? If so, I think I am ready to pull the PayPal trigger.

If the charging port on the Excite is the same on the Thrive, I would think it would work. You can call Toshiba and ask. It looks like a neat accessory!

BurlyEd

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I called Toshiba. The rep said that Thrive accessories are NOT compatible with Excite tablets. There is an Excite standard dock available for about $57 (cough - rip-off - cough!:mad:), but no multi-dock at all yet. I think I will wait a while.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. I called Toshiba. The rep said that Thrive accessories are NOT compatible with Excite tablets. There is an Excite standard dock available for about $57 (cough - rip-off - cough!:mad:), but no multi-dock at all yet. I think I will wait a while.

Keep us posted!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Update - I just saw the new 24 minute review by Lisa Gade at mobiletechreview and got so "excited" that I ordered one.
MobileTechReview Forum and News: Toshiba Excite 10 AT305 Quad Core Android Tablet Video Review
I am expecting it Tue 15th. I am following your battery test with interest.

Thanks for the review link. I am going to check it out myself.

Cool that you are getting your Excite on the 15th!

The battery took four hours to charge and I kept it turned off the whole time with the exception of checking its progress every hour. Not too bad!

gaetanolip

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Please,

do you know if an externatal device ( pendrive) through otg cable is powered by the device itself , or it needa external power.
It is very important to me....

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Please,

do you know if an externatal device ( pendrive) through otg cable is powered by the device itself , or it needa external power.
It is very important to me....

I'm sorry, but I am not all that techie and I am not for sure what you are asking. I do know that the external keyboard can be charged through the device and I think that maybe this is the kind of information you might be looking for.

If not, someone else might be able to help you.

Reactions: gaetanolip

gaetanolip

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but I am not all that techie and I am not for sure what you are asking. I do know that the external keyboard can be charged through the device and I think that maybe this is the kind of information you might be looking for.

If not, someone else might be able to help you.

external keyboard can be charged through the device through otg cable only???

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
external keyboard can be charged through the device through otg cable only???

You do need a USB host cable (OTG) to charge the keyboard through the device. It can also be charged through a computer without the OTG cable.

If anyone needs an OTG cable, there are a number of choices at Amazon.

BurlyEd

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought an OTG cable - SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable Adapter for $2.40 with free shipping from A... I can use usb thumb drives and a 500gb Samsung portable drive! The HD works even without the charger attached.

3 other portable drives I tried did not work.

:D

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I bought an OTG cable - SANOXY USB 2.0 Female to Micro USB Male OTG(On-The-Go) Cable Adapter for $2.40 with free shipping from A... I can use usb thumb drives and a 500gb Samsung portable drive! The HD works even without the charger attached.

Is the hard drive that works formatted NTSF or ExFat?

gaetanolip

May 16, 2012
Visit site

without charger in tablet or in hd or in both??

BurlyEd

May 11, 2012
Visit site
@skatergirl & gaetanolip

My hard drive is an old Samsung 500GB USB 2.0 2009.8 it is formatted fat32. It was connected by the single mini-USB cable that it came with, to the Excite 305's OTG cable. I started with the Excite charger cable attached. After a few minutes of watching a movie from the HD, I removed the charger and continued watching for at least another half hour. I am surprised that the Excite's micro-usb port has enough power to drive an external HD. I have ordered a longer mini-USB cable for the hard drive. :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
@skatergirl & gaetanolip

My hard drive is an old Samsung 500GB USB 2.0 2009.8 it is formatted fat32. It was connected by the single mini-USB cable that it came with, to the Excite 305's OTG cable. I started with the Excite charger cable attached. After a few minutes of watching a movie from the HD, I removed the charger and continued watching for at least another half hour. I am surprised that the Excite's micro-usb port has enough power to drive an external HD. I have ordered a longer mini-USB cable for the hard drive. :)

Thanks for the info. I was told by Toshiba that the Excite would not read NTSF. I was hoping the rep was wrong. :(