Toshiba: You are pushing away potential buyers for your future products!

mulderfox

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
By not allowing us to root our new tablet, you are pushing away potential future buyers, as anyone who currently was stupid enough to go and buy your tablet and find out it's locked against rooting, will think long and hard before making that mistake again!
Look at companies like Asus, and Samsung - market leaders - they allow the masses to root their tablets, while warning them against possible warranty loss, thus creating a cohesive loyal community around their products! My phone is a samsung phone, and I flashed it countless times. One of those times, I even took it to a service station where they flashed it for me, free of charge to stock ROM. That's good service! And if they didn't, I still be okay with it, since I understand the risks taken with rooting.

Why don't you stop playing the overly responsible adult, and let people go free with their new tablet? It will only bring you more loyal buyers!

Please free the bootloader!

Thank you.

www.eyalo.com

mulderfox

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Somehow, this thread mysteriously disappeared from Toshiba's excite forums, after gaining some of the biggest support this forum ever seen.
As a reminder: I just wanted to bring to Toshiba's attention the fact that the buyers of this tablet would very much like their tablet to allow rooting. Even at the cost of warranty voidance. Treat us as the grown up people that we are and don't make the decision for us by locking the bootloader.

Toshiba: Is this your answer to our plead? removing the entire thread??

That doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do - shutting out the voices of your customers..

I hope this thread will show and stay.

Leroy Bad

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't this open a flood of problems? This level of customization would threaten Toshiba's design integrity. It would no longer be their product but also your product....and theres no way they could stand behind it. How can they support third party apps and programming that/they are'nt affiliated with? Especially when they threaten the security of the system! The amount of support they'd have to provide would not only be massive, but the Customer Support would need to have more than intermediate knowledge of the tablet and every customization under the sun that can be done with it.
There's also legal issues I imagine, with relations to third party software and hardware manufacture partnerships. I would not like to design any software if I knew that the company who used it would allow it to be compromised. There's also the warranty issue, which are usually region specific. Europe may allow features while Japan may not etc.

The easiest way to go is to have a leveled playing field where every user gets the same pre planned experience.

mulderfox

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Samsung, Asus LG, and Sony all allow rooting, and either keep their bootloaders unlocked, or provide tools to unlock them.
I'm sure they consider "design integrity" as a part of their company's philosophy. And most people take into account that their device warranty might be void in case of rooting. All these market leaders don't seem to have a problem with their customers customizing their devices. I even got my own Samsung Galaxy S re-flashed to stock at their service centre - no questions asked and no charge.
No one asked for them to support 3rd party applications and programming they did not write.
And by the way, most "cooked" and rooted Roms have more security in them than stock roms. For instance: stock roms have been known to carry spyware injected by the manufacturer, while cooked roms for the same device were clean of it. The legal concerns are the most valid concern you raised, but it seems that the bigger manufacturers are not as concerned about it, and they have more to lose than Toshiba.
Your response sounds like a company line more than anything, and it doesn't hold water.

Cheers!
Wouldn't this open a flood of problems? This level of customization would threaten Toshiba's design integrity. It would no longer be their product but also your product....and theres no way they could stand behind it. How can they support third party apps and programming that/they are'nt affiliated with? Especially when they threaten the security of the system! The amount of support they'd have to provide would not only be massive, but the Customer Support would need to have more than intermediate knowledge of the tablet and every customization under the sun that can be done with it.
There's also legal issues I imagine, with relations to third party software and hardware manufacture partnerships. I would not like to design any software if I knew that the company who used it would allow it to be compromised. There's also the warranty issue, which are usually region specific. Europe may allow features while Japan may not etc.

The easiest way to go is to have a leveled playing field where every user gets the same pre planned experience.

raistlinX

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
If people wanted the same pre-planned experience, they would probably choose apple. I own this tablet because it was a gift, otherwise I would never buy an android product that doesn't allow me to root and install different roms & kernels. I also enjoy deleting carrier specific applications.
People who root take a responsibility for their actions and for the most part are people who would not call customer service for anything other than a refund. Their are many forums with people much more knowledgeable than customer service techs.

Weeooo

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Sure thing Comrade. While we are at it lets take away the ability to control our own thermostats and lighting at home as well, the power company would prefer to do it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana